Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 10:39   #30766
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A motorcycle rider using his mobile phone swerved to avoid another biker on the wrong side of the road and ends up crashing into a car driven erratically by a drunk driver. Both people on the bike were not wearing helmets. The drunk driver drove away without stopping.
Your words are apt here the biker crashes into the car. Drunk or not, for me it looks like the car driver was not erratic. He seems to be driving in straight driving line and looks like turned right to avoid an imminent collision. Even after the collision he is maintaining his driving line. The biker got be plain right idiot, he seems to be still on the mobile after avoiding the first bike.

for most people Life < time < mobile while driving/ riding. We can ignore mobile while driving until we reach our destination, but we won't because mobile is important. We can stop (safely) by road side to attend the mobile, but we won't because can't spend time waiting (read not driving here). We will attend to mobile while driving, because nothing can happen to me as I'm an expert. And for others, I don't even thought in that angle.
Jerryaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:37   #30767
BHPian

Don't remember this one being posted here. I believe the accident didn't claim any lives.
JithinR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:51   #30768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I believe the accident didn't claim any lives
You sure about that? The way that motorcycle rider got hit looked bad. He was thrown off the bike. Does not appear to be wearing a lid too.

This shows the dangers and risk of riding a two wheeler. In a car, you have a safety cage around you that offers some level of protection.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 12:11   #30769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
You sure about that? The way that motorcycle rider got hit looked bad. He was thrown off the bike. Does not appear to be wearing a lid too.

This shows the dangers and risk of riding a two wheeler. In a car, you have a safety cage around you that offers some level of protection.
Damn. My bad. I came to this particular YouTube video from another that showed the aftermath of the accident. Once I found this one i was looking at only the truck coming towards the car. Completely missed the bike.
Old 12th May 2020, 16:09   #30770
BHPian

Quote:
Don't remember this one being posted here. I believe the accident didn't claim any lives.
I have got pictures on a WhatsApp group where it looks like the two-wheeler riders instantly passed away. I hope it's not true and they were shifted to a hospital after the picture was clicked. Obviously not posting it here.

Looks like the truck driver lost control due to the fact that he was too fast entering the curve resulting in the truck hydroplaning.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 17:55   #30771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I have got pictures on a WhatsApp group where it looks like the two-wheeler riders instantly passed away. I hope it's not true and they were shifted to a hospital after the picture was clicked.
No. There was a news report that said that the rider died on the spot and the pillion is hospitalized.

As for the accident - looks like the Freestyle was about to overtake the bike and the truck braked on seeing him.

Last edited by samaspire : 12th May 2020 at 17:57.
Old 12th May 2020, 18:25   #30772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it me or does it look like the car was trying to get in to position to overtake and when truck came from opposite side he steered left both to avoid impact as well as get in to left lane? The truck probably slammed the brakes at same time turned to his left making the rear slide out???

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th May 2020 at 22:25. Reason: Removed video from quotes for readability. Thanks.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 19:04   #30773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Is it me or does it look like the car was trying to get in to position to overtake
Certainly. It's evident from the flash that the truck gave. The truck was completely in its lane. It would have passed easily if he didn't attempt braking seeing the car.

Sad for that bikers. They had to pay the price without having a clue on what happened.

And not sure what is the build quality that the YouTube video's title highlights it as:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20200512wa0021.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20200512wa0019.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 12th May 2020 at 19:16.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 02:40   #30774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Certainly. It's evident from the flash that the truck gave. The truck was completely in its lane.
Both the car and the truck were being driven too fast on that curvy section.
The road being so narrow, there is no option for approaching vehicles to pass each other without braking and slowing down.
Even the slightest braking action on such a waterlogged curve can lead to the rear wheels sliding outwards and spinning the vehicle out of control. Given the speeds of both the vehicles, this accident was inevitable unless both passed each other at dead slow speeds without braking.

Although the car didn't overtake the bike, he certainly was driving in an overtaking mode and driving almost on the middle of the road causing the truck driver to flash his lights and brake rather harshly leading to the truck's rear wheels aquaplaning.

I believe it is necessary for all drivers to experience aquaplaning on a rain logged curve to realize how easy it is for a vehicle's rear to slide outwards on a curve. Its a dangerous and very scary experience, but enough to make one a sane driver and realize the importance of driving very slowly and cautiously on water/rain logged curves.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th May 2020 at 02:42.
for_cars1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 04:35   #30775
Distinguished - BHPian

maybe it is a technical quibble. but I'd say that is a skid, not aquaplaning. The truck driver tries to brake on the corner; skid could happen even on a dry road. The wet road doesn't give a chance.

The rest of your description is spot on. Whilst the accident doesn't seem to be the truck driver's fault, the results speak for themselves that he was driving too fast. The poor biker, innocent victim, wrong place at the wrong time.

It also highlights the mania for overtaking, getting past, never just slowing down. If only people would learn: stuck behind a slower vehicle? Dangerous/illegal to do anything about it? Live with it.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 09:48   #30776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I believe it is necessary for all drivers to experience aquaplaning on a rain logged curve to realize how easy it is for a vehicle's rear to slide outwards on a curve. Its a dangerous and very scary experience, but enough to make one a sane driver and realize the importance of driving very slowly and cautiously on water/rain logged curves.
Well I'll have to agree with you on this at least for me, it has happened to me in 2015. I was trying to overtake a lorry on the fast lane and on a right hand curve in heavy rain. I didn't notice the water puddle, in no time I was hydroplaning when I was exactly parallel to the lorry. Fortunately, for me the front wheel crossed the puddle and I got some traction and moved ahead without any harm. Though I must admit I did nothing here, it was god's grace I came out unharmed. The incident has taught me not to take the inner lane on a curve during rains and always maintain sane speed. I'm a better driver now
Jerryaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 13:14   #30777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
maybe it is a technical quibble. but I'd say that is a skid, not aquaplaning. The truck driver tries to brake on the corner; skid could happen even on a dry road. The wet road doesn't give a chance.
Agree its a skid, but its essentially a skid/slide over a film of water between the tyres and the road, so its still technically aquaplaning in this case

for_cars1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 14:44   #30778
Senior - BHPian

A 19-year-old man, son of a hotelier, was killed and his friend injured when their speeding car rammed into a stationary bus at Marine Drive in South Mumbai on Tuesday evening, a police official said.

While Aaryman Rajesh Nagpal, whose father is owner of President hotel in the city, was declared dead at Harkishandas Hospital, Shouryasingh Sharad Jain was undergoing treatment.

Looking at the wrecked Ciaz, the car must be at a very high speed. The front of the Ciaz is intact, so it seems the car must have skidded and crashed sideways.

Lockdown + Empty Roads + High Speed = Disaster waiting to happen.

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/75708427.cms

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 13th May 2020 at 14:53.
Old 13th May 2020, 17:14   #30779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Agree its a skid, but its essentially a skid/slide over a film of water between the tyres and the road, so its still technically aquaplaning in this case
Not sure, but let us agree to disagree! One thing I certainly agree with: it is scary.

My experience was on a British motorway, at a speed of 80+ MPH. I was in the middle lane, overtaking a vehicle on my left, I think mine was a truck too. I made the mistake of not slowing down as soon as the heavy rain hit. The whole car took off. Thankfully, it was a straight road, although the car slipped very slightly to the left. I just thought "feet-off-everything-dont-try-to-steer" by which time we were in contact with tarmac again.

My passenger, a non-driver, asked, "why did you swerve?" I muttered something but nothing about how close to disaster we had come. Again, thank goodness the road was straight, and the car kept going almost straight.

Any skid says the driver is doing something wrong. Aquaplaning says too fast.

I am not sure that I remember this accurately, but there is physics to aquaplaning:

1. it requires surface water, not just a wet road.

2. (I think) it requires a minimum speed. 50MPH (???) below which it can't happen. One can sure skid at slower speeds of course.

I will have to ask Uncle Google and check.

EDIT: No actual minimum speed
Quote:
There’s no specific ‘aquaplaning speed limit’ that you can stay below to avoid this but it’s thought that a vehicle moving at about 30mph in an inch or two of water will be able to keep enough traction to avoid aquaplaning, while one moving at 50mph in the same conditions is much less likely to stay in control.
But it does require 2.5mm of water
Quote:
This can be caused by heavy rainfall building up on a road’s surface or by pools of water where there are holes or ruts in a road. The water needs to be at least 2.5mm (or 1/10 of an inch) deep.
Source: RAC: What is aquaplaning

As so many of our roads are built with no thought given to drainage, even a shower can give us 2.5mm solid water.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th May 2020 at 17:24.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 19:43   #30780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
This happened in Shamirpet at Telangana this month.

A motorcycle rider using his mobile phone swerved to avoid another biker on the wrong side of the road and ends up crashing into a car driven erratically by a drunk driver. Both people on the bike were not wearing helmets. The drunk driver drove away without stopping.
Feel really sorry for the young pillion rider. From the video, it feels like the rear wheels of the car ran over the child. Hope he didn't have too many injuries.

Get idiots like that bike rider off the road! Regarding the car driver, I guess he was just too scared to stop the car. Would've been ideal if he transported the child to the hospital (I wouldn't mind if that idiot bike rider was taken later!)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th May 2020 at 20:48. Reason: Removing youtube URL from quoted post = repetition. Thanks!

Most Viewed