Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 13:48   #30871
BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I find this a bit inexplicable. Can't believe the car would flip completely over so easily just by hitting a gate! The gate would have to have been really thick/heavy and the car must have been going really fast. The latter is not possible within such a short distance even for a powerful car like the Polo..
The gate broke and tilted after the initial hit and the guy driving has kept the accelerator pressed whilst in gear, the front wheels have literally have driven over the tilted gate so it climbed over and fell on side and turned over.

Last edited by Amsdoc : 19th June 2020 at 13:50.
Amsdoc is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 14:06   #30872
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Car flipping after a head on crash! Was there an additional airbag fitted underneath, or did the driver pushed an EJECT button!
It is because of the angle of the crash, which made the car to deflect and twist at the same time.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 15:56   #30873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
The gate broke and tilted after the initial hit and the guy driving has kept the accelerator pressed whilst in gear, the front wheels have literally have driven over the tilted gate so it climbed over and fell on side and turned over.
Makes sense. It seemed to me that the car was driving up the gate, which could not be possible, unless the gate had, effectively, become a ramp.

I think you have solved the flip mystery.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 16:35   #30874
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Atleast the VW service staff should've checked driving license of the lad in case of doubt as delivery is happening within their premises.
Have you ever been asked for your licence before driving away a car from a dealer? I don't think it is illegal to drive on private property without one, and it is none of the dealer's business what you do once outside the gate (if you make it that far ). Anyway, it seems that the young son was given the wheel, which might have been a last-minute buyer/family decision.

Obviously, dealers do not want to see their property, or that of their other customers, damaged, but I would think that customer damage happens far more often during test drives than during delivery.

(self-edited duplicate content: was still in edit window)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th June 2020 at 16:38.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 21:35   #30875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
This was an accident recently in Ambedkar Chowk in Pimpri Pune.
Apparently the traffic lights were not working.

It also appears that both vehicles may not have slowed down enough at the junction to safely look and then cross.

The aftermath video is quite distressing as the victims are still in the road. I'm not putting it here and you can view it at this link. Viewer discretion is advised.
http://www.thewiseherb.com/lockdown-...n-pimpri-pune/
Forget the Traffic Lights. It's the fault of the Maruti Dzire. Maybe the Auto driver should have also slowed down but he had the right of way! I think that the lady must have been sitting to his left and might have blocked his view of the Maruti approaching the cross roads. Auto driver's fault was having another passenger in a Seat meant for One!

Last edited by SDP : 19th June 2020 at 21:42. Reason: Removed video link from the quote for better readability
boohooper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 10:35   #30876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What a location the "new car delivery" tent is put up at. With a new car comes a new driver, or at least a driver who is new to that particular car. The exit path should have been made a little easier or the sales guys should have helped out to get the car outside. It looks like a driving test area.

He over steered while taking that first curve and goofed up in the process of correcting it. Watch out a lucky photographer who just manages to escape. Also
shows how easily a car can get toppled. Lots of lessons.
A driver that cannot navigate that exit path whether it looks cramped or not, is absolutely not capable of driving the same car on the roads at the same given time. We should be glad that the car was not placed outside for him or the outcome could be much worse for him or someone else out there!

Whether it was a one time goof up of pressing the accelerator in excitement or his lack of driving skill, it definitely shows his inability to drive the new car on the roads at that time.
Pegasus1134 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 10:38   #30877
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
It is very easy for someone to lose control if he/she is not accustomed to the car. If the driver is graduating from say something like an Alto 800, a 100+ hp Polo (Since one post mentions that it is a Highline+ TSI) could very well be a handful
Well, I graduated from M800 to Swift and then to a Superb II (my own. Other's were family cars). M800 to Swift transition (in 2016) was drastic. Accelerator was way too sensitive and kept stalling the car for days. But in 2018 when I moved to the Superb (mind you, 2017 March - 2018 April have had absolutely no driving at all), it felt way easier and controllable (despite nearly twice the hp). Maybe it was auto vs. manual. Maybe it was the weight and composure. I am not sure.
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 10:58   #30878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Have you ever been asked for your licence before driving away a car from a dealer? I don't think it is illegal to drive on private property without one, and it is none of the dealer's business what you do once outside the gate (if you make it that far ). Anyway, it seems that the young son was given the wheel, which might have been a last-minute buyer/family decision.

Obviously, dealers do not want to see their property, or that of their other customers, damaged, but I would think that customer damage happens far more often during test drives than during delivery.
Rightly said, a dealer will always take your license during test drive and even keep a copy of it but I have never seen them ask for the license or even look at one during delivery. I think once you buy the car it goes without saying that you will know how to drive it home without crashing it. And people might find it offensive a dealer asking you to show your license to drive the car which you now already own.

All said even the first little scratch on a brand new car is really painful to see and seeing your new car go like this on the first drive is really unfortunate.
prateekchanana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 12:35   #30879
BANNED

Utterly irresponsible driving. I hope the person loses the driving licence for at least two years for this act.
Such people are potential threats to pedestrians and should undergo a very stringent driving test before being unleased on public roads again. I hope no attempt is made here to underplay the driver's incompetence.
fiestarry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 12:48   #30880
BHPian

My question is what happens to the other new cars damaged as part of this accident.

They get tinkered & fixed and sold to unsuspecting customers?
Or will the dealer get the entire panels, etc. changed?

Who will pay for it - the accident car insurance or dealer from his pocket?
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 13:53   #30881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Happened in my city. It looks like the car owner's son insisted adamantly that he wanted to drive from the delivery area. Another irony is that they had paid 30k for the specific number considering good luck or whatever.
Classic case of having more money than brains. More than luck, it was the quick reaction of the men at the gate which avoided casualties. It would have been better if one of the new cars parked had gotten smashed, the dealership too would have learnt a lesson.
fighterace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 14:06   #30882
BHPian

I feel bad for the owner. There is lot of happiness in the household when you buy a new car. All that happiness gone as the day turned out to be a disaster.
When I took delivery of my Ritz I asked the delivery team to provide a driver as I was not confident and just a learner.
When we bought XUV I asked the team to get it out of the showroom and give me the keys outside. Silver jubillee pune camp is very congested as some of you may know.
So there is nothing bad if you ask the team to get the car out of the showroom with tight spaces or till your home if you dont feel confident.
ShivrajG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 14:22   #30883
BHPian

What is up with owners of Volkswagen Polo?
They are hell bent in breaking the car before the car breaks down on them after years of ownership.
Few months back, there was a Polo accident in which the car jumped off the flyover. Now this.

Luckily, occupants and other road users are safe. And the driver too have learned the lessons the hard way. In hindsight, it is better for the driver to have made mistakes now then later.

I learned driving when I owned a Swift diesel, and got use to car gaining pace by releasing just the clutch. When I got an opportunity to drive WagonR for the first time, I accelerated very hard as I thought the car wasn't moving on releasing the clutch.
Similarly, we now need to get oriented to new turbo petrols as we are use to driving NA petrols since years.
Old 20th June 2020, 14:58   #30884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
So he can afford a Polo but not a few grand to learn to drive? Hard to be sympathetic to be honest.
The second video has a guy saying "oota theriyadhu" means "doesn't know how to drive"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
So there is nothing bad if you ask the team to get the car out of the showroom with tight spaces or till your home if you dont feel confident.
Very true, I have been driving from 1998, have lakhs of km under my belt in all types of roads and weather but to this day when I need to move my car up a car wash ramp, or for wheel balancing, I give the keys. I have this irrational fear that I will put the wheels in the gap and break an axle or something. Rather than test that hypothesis, I simply have the staff "do the needful".

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd June 2020 at 18:57. Reason: Mod note attached.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 15:14   #30885
BHPian

I think the car rolled over too easily because its a front wheel drive vehicle. I doubt if it would have rolled as easily had it been a RWD.

This is just and observation and its no justification for the driver's lack of skills or luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks