re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Kia Carnival crashed into the wall right after the delivery. Airbags deployed
Venkatesh is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 15:53   #30887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
My question is what happens to the other new cars damaged as part of this accident.

They get tinkered & fixed and sold to unsuspecting customers?
Or will the dealer get the entire panels, etc. changed?

Who will pay for it - the accident car insurance or dealer from his pocket?
I think the insurance and the customer will have to pay for this as once the inspections is done and papers are signed, the car has been officially handed over to the customer and its their responsibility. Moreover the dealer is not at fault at all and can not be made liable to pay anything in this.

If the car was being driven by the dealers staff to be handed over to customer then the dealer can be held responsible till the handover is done but that is clearly not the case here. In all probability the other cars which are damaged will also be paid for by the insurance but yes probably they will eventually be sold off to customers.

Last edited by prateekchanana : 20th June 2020 at 15:56.
prateekchanana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 15:58   #30888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
The second video has a guy saying "oota theriyadhu" means "doesn't know how to drive"
Exactly that is what i heard and realized that it is a case where family chose excitement over skills by allowing the boy to drive.
Old 20th June 2020, 16:21   #30889
Senior - BHPian

Polo - TSI auto?
Carnival - Auto

Both looks like drivers who have no experience in cars with auto transmission and got confused with which pedal to press.
Latheesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 16:37   #30890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Surprised to see both airbags deployed on such a low speed impact Its going to be a costly fix.
Old 20th June 2020, 16:47   #30891
BHPian

Quote:
1. I continue to belive that a good number of people in India are still foreign to automatics and sometimes may be taught to use left foot for brake and right foot for accelerator. I've seen similar strange movement of automatic cars driven by metro/market parking guys and small time restaurant valets, the "sir, chaabi dedo" types.

2. With regard to this video and the polo video, what's up with perpendicular turns right after delivery (not that it should cause such accidents )?

3. Is it just me, or is that A LOT of damage for hitting a wall at maximum 10kmph?

Last edited by rayjaycleoful : 20th June 2020 at 17:00.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 16:53   #30892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What madness is this??

I can understand a learner messing it up in a small hatchback like the polo. But to take chances with your absurd driving skills while taking delivery of a 5+ metre behemoth, 40 lakh rupee, 200 bhp MPV?

This delivery area seems to be even worse than Trichy VW. That's a small space to turn a big big MPV.

People must be crazy. God, please keep innocent road users and pedestrians away from these morons who buy cars without an ounce of driving skills.

And what's with the damage for such a small impact!? It would have been a fender bender at the max in my Storme. Just saying.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 20th June 2020 at 17:03.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:12   #30893

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
This might look like a scene out of 'Dhoom 7', but unfortunately, it isn't.

Earlier today, I was stuck in traffic when I witnessed a similar incident. An Etios taxi tried to overtake another vehicle by speeding full on into the completely waterlogged left lane, thrashing water everywhere and (BAM!) ending up stuck in a deep, concealed pothole. I literally face-palmed myself. How can we be expected to feel sorry for such acts of idiocy?
Seems to be a case of hydroplaning as the swift hits a puddle of water filled road surface and in all possibilities having poor tyre thread condition. This may have caused the front tyres to lift off road surface and completely loose traction and steering manoeuvrability for that few crucial seconds. You will find many videos and suggestions online on how to avoid aquaplaning/ hydroplaning. Or simply search our team-bhp forum as it has quality information on the same too!

P.S. always keep track of your vehicle’s tyre thread life & avoid hitting water logged puddles at high speed.

Last edited by Sheel : 20th June 2020 at 17:32. Reason: Please do remove video URL's in your quoted post. Thank You!
MBA911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:17   #30894
BANNED

Even after driving lakhs of kms, I have never in my life driven even my brand new car (Taken numerous deliveries) inside the dealership premises and the narrow delivery areas. Normally I am always like, drive the car till the gate and give me the key, I never feel comfortable taking the car out of those narrow glass passages; and I have noticed that even dealership guys also prefer the same. Most of the times they keep their chauffy ready to drive your car till the gate. Why not let them do the job?

Last edited by VKumar : 20th June 2020 at 17:18.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:52   #30895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
What is up with owners of Volkswagen Polo? ...
Few months back, there was a Polo accident in which the car jumped off the flyover. Now this
OK, I grant you that that is two. There is nothing up with the rest of us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
when I need to move my car up a car wash ramp, or for wheel balancing, I give the keys.
Whilst I dislike valet parking, I too would rather leave something like that to the guys that do it every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I think the car rolled over too easily because its a front wheel drive vehicle. ...
Took me a minute to see what you mean. The car literally drives up the bending gate. I really don't know if front-wheel pull or rear-wheel push would have made a difference. It's an unusual sort of accident. But... what ordinary car is rear-wheel drive these days anyway: I don't think I have driven one for fifty years (Oh wait, once, very briefly). This is an ordinary hatchback. About as far from Mustang territory as it gets. Even if it is the wow-over-100-bhp model. I drive a GT TDI. Yes, you can drive it hard if you want, but it is not a car that is halfway down the street before you realise you touched the gas pedal.

Quote:
Can't understand what happened to this guy! Another sad day. Unlike the previous youngster in the Polo, this guy looks too old to have not got to the today we will do steering wheel lesson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA911 View Post
Seems to be a case of hydroplaning as the swift hits a puddle of water filled road surface
Maybe so, yes. Note that there is an oncoming vehicle: maybe he steers sharp to return to his side of the road. Too sharp for a dry road, but with that much water he hasn't a chance. And neither has anyone else in the aftermath.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:54   #30896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Polo - TSI auto?
Carnival - Auto

Both looks like drivers who have no experience in cars with auto transmission and got confused with which pedal to press.
Carnival should definitely be auto, but have BS6 Polo automatics started reaching dealerships? I was under the impression only the manual is launched and the auto version will take time.
Old 20th June 2020, 18:16   #30897
BHPian

Quote:
Kia Carnival crashed into the wall right after the delivery.
Unfortunate accident because of inexperience. Also isn't it wrong that the car is being driven even after the crash. There are some liquids on the floor which surely must be the Engine Coolant. Wouldn't this cause damage to the Engine in the absence of a cooling medium?
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 18:17   #30898

Maybe the owner wanted to be sure of the German build quality before leaving the showroom.
Jokes apart, it wouldn't hurt if the dealership has a wider entrance gate and the driver had more driving experience.
Old 20th June 2020, 19:10   #30899
BHPian

I have bought 6 new cars over the last 20 years. Each time, I take delivery I have the irrational fear that I will crash the new car before reaching home. I will be severely tense and on atleast two occasions I have asked the dealer personal to drive the car out of the showroom onto the road. They invariably resist saying that I should be the one driving the new car and are more interested in taking photos. I am not too religious and is not very sentimental, so I care less about good omens and don't have a single photo now about me taking delivery of any car.

I feel very bad for the owner in both the cases. It's my nightmare coming true. Buying a new car is a special occasion for anyone.
Sree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 19:11   #30900

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
How not to drive your brand new Polo after taking delivery
So tragic and sad to watch.
Moments ago the entire family must have been in joy. Hopefully no-one was seriously hurt in the incident.

This brings me to my life rule “When in doubt don’t do it”. There is no shame in asking to get your new car delivered or atleast taken out of the showroom. Most of these showroom spaces are very tight or are filled with cars parked bumper to bumper.
I still remember when I took delivery of my first car, I asked the sales person to bring the car on main road as the showroom alley was too tight for my comfort. Then when I sat in the car and adjust mirrors, seat and steering to my desired position, I tried to drive but wasn’t comfortable with the clutch and the engine surge. I immediately parked the car and asked the sales person if the car could be delivered home and they happily obliged.

Hopefully the insurance shall cover the damages but that experience will stay with them forever. Wish it wasn’t this way.
codroy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks