Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 12:47   #3106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Is Kilner = Cleaner?

Yes its a CLEANER. Let me tell you what he is doing.
When a truck starts to runs out of fuel, the cleaner primes the hand pump on the fuel pump ( Bosh pump as known in trucking language ). This is done to reach by near fuel station.
Old 9th August 2009, 14:33   #3107
Distinguished - BHPian

If I had been in that Fiat, I wuldn't have been able to hold the camera still to get those pics! I would have been shaking like a leaf in a storm!
Old 9th August 2009, 15:01   #3108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Yes its a CLEANER. Let me tell you what he is doing.
When a truck starts to runs out of fuel, the cleaner primes the hand pump on the fuel pump ( Bosh pump as known in trucking language ). This is done to reach by near fuel station.
Well, Kilner is also trucker's lingo
Old 9th August 2009, 17:58   #3109
gpa
Senior - BHPian

An overspeeding Omni ran over this mound of mud close to my house this morning. Luckily nobody was injured. The car had a broken windshield. The driver was a teenager without a license!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image015.jpg  

Old 9th August 2009, 18:18   #3110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
An overspeeding Omni ran over this mound of mud close to my house this morning. Luckily nobody was injured. The car had a broken windshield. The driver was a teenager without a license!
How did the windshield break? Was it his head? Another case of not wearing a seat belt.
Old 9th August 2009, 20:08   #3111
Senior - BHPian

Saw this while I was driving today to Trivandrum. This was somewhere between Kollam and Trivandrum in NH 47.

Name:  DSC00192.JPG
Views: 10567
Size:  292.9 KB

NH 47 in Kerala has become busier during these years. It no longer feels like a highway anywhere, but it rather feels like a busy road through a town throughout its 2 lane stretch. You'll hate driving if you drive through this road often.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th August 2009 at 20:10.
Old 9th August 2009, 20:19   #3112
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
NH 47 in Kerala has become busier during these years. It no longer feels like a highway anywhere, but it rather feels like a busy road through a town throughout its 2 lane stretch.
clevermax,

I agree with you on this. I did the trip to TVM from BLR last year after a gap of about 3 years and the road has indeed become very crowded.

All along my drive, I saw close to 10 major accidents.
Old 9th August 2009, 20:24   #3113
BHPian

Goosebump moments!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I had been in that Fiat, I wuldn't have been able to hold the camera still to get those pics! I would have been shaking like a leaf in a storm!
The exact thoughts were going in my mind seeeing those pictures and Sunil's post. The Fiat build played its role in the survival, but credit to the almighty.

Its miraculous escape for the blessed family.

Old 9th August 2009, 20:27   #3114
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
How did the windshield break? Was it his head? Another case of not wearing a seat belt.
harishnayak,

The car was towed away just this evening as the driveshaft broke (how I don't know). The owner (teen's uncle) was present and I went there to enquire about the guy. The guy's uncle said that he was not wearing his seatbelt and has a head injury (deep gash) and is in hospital. Guess, his head did hit the glass which led to it breaking.
Old 9th August 2009, 21:58   #3115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
harishnayak,

The car was towed away just this evening as the driveshaft broke (how I don't know). The owner (teen's uncle) was present and I went there to enquire about the guy. The guy's uncle said that he was not wearing his seatbelt and has a head injury (deep gash) and is in hospital. Guess, his head did hit the glass which led to it breaking.
This was bound to happen. Hope that guy recovers soon.
Old 10th August 2009, 11:25   #3116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
.................. Linea was a Total Loss and disposed as scrap for below three quarters of a lakh!
Isn't under these circumstances you get your insurance claim ??? I am sure it wouldn't have been three quarters of a lakh. Or did he decide that his 'tank' was beyond an insurance ?

A Linea costs considerable money to be shaken and stirred like this and then to be sold as scrap for peanuts !!!! Having a hard time swallowing this .....
Old 10th August 2009, 11:41   #3117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Linea came face to face with a granite filled TATA Tipper. the tipper crashed into the Linea and Toppled Over it.
Doesn't seem face to face from the pictures - it is more like sumo wrestler taking on a liliput!
I notice that both the front tyres on the tipper are bald - that is sure recipe for disaster - the front wheels do the steering and having bald front tyres is inviting suicide.
Guess the truck owners never learn - they spend lakhs on the vehicle, but scrimp a measly thousands on good tyres!
Old 10th August 2009, 11:44   #3118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaglaGoru View Post
Isn't under these circumstances you get your insurance claim ??? I am sure it wouldn't have been three quarters of a lakh. Or did he decide that his 'tank' was beyond an insurance ?

A Linea costs considerable money to be shaken and stirred like this and then to be sold as scrap for peanuts !!!! Having a hard time swallowing this .....
Yes after the Insurance claim! Note the words Total Loss and disposed off as scrap.! IDV 95% - 75000/- was the insurance amount!
Old 10th August 2009, 12:56   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Yes after the Insurance claim! Note the words Total Loss and disposed off as scrap.! IDV 95% - 75000/- was the insurance amount!
Nonetheless sad end to a great car - I was sometimes back seriously eyeing this one.
Old 11th August 2009, 00:20   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Forget actually being in that car - just looking at the pics induced a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. The family is truly lucky to have survived. God is great! The Fiat's build quality too is God's doing. I too would have done what the father did - go back and buy another of the same that car seems to be built to save lives. I hope the dealer and Fiat work together to deliver it to this family ASAP.

It is at moments like these that we realise that there is more to cars than just torque, power, handling, FE etc.

I wish everyone bought only cars with airbags and used their seat belts.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 11th August 2009 at 00:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks