Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 16:04   #31261
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
I own an X1 myself and there's almost no possible way that you can unknowingly slot it into Drive and the car starts moving. ...
Do you have to press a button to engage D? Is there an N position, and does one have to push a button to change N --> D?

I have not driven an AT car for 15 years, and I have never driven one of this level (Audi A6, the little MB A-class, were probably the poshest, just for a couple of days, but again, 20 years back). The safety interlocks you describe sound very advanced and... safe!
Old 7th August 2020, 16:45   #31262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do you have to press a button to engage D? Is there an N position, and does one have to push a button to change N --> D?

I have not driven an AT car for 15 years, and I have never driven one of this level (Audi A6, the little MB A-class, were probably the poshest, just for a couple of days, but again, 20 years back). The safety interlocks you describe sound very advanced and... safe!
To shift the BMW Steptronic transmission to any of the engaged modes from N you need to have your foot on the brake as well as press an unlock button on the selector stick before moving the stick. If any of this is not satisfied, it just beeps and shows a message what you are doing wrong. You don't need any of this to go back into N or P.

P is just a button atop the selector which has only R-N-D and an M to the side of D. The selector is the electronic type and always remains in the center position whatever gear you are in; except for M which is physically to the side of D. If you exit the car in any of the engaged modes, the car will put itself into P when the door is opened. Even if the selector is in M position it will be moved back to the center position by a motor. It takes a lot to circumvent all this and unknowingly slot it into D and drive over someone. It's not impossible though if your stars line up correctly.
alphahere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 16:58   #31263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
To shift the BMW Steptronic transmission to any of the engaged modes from N you need to have your foot on the brake as well as press an unlock button on the selector stick before moving the stick...
... It's not impossible though if your stars line up correctly.
So here is the pictorial representation of the latest gen BMW Automatic gear selector followed by the previous gen selector. (Sources: Google, ADAC, T-online)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bmwautomatikmehrkomfortdankradarsensoren.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-newbmw.jpeg  

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 7th August 2020 at 17:01. Reason: another image.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 12:19   #31264
MrA
BHPian

What's with all this clapping and everybody gathered around? Just give the guy a breather and let him drive away in peace. Reminds me of the day around 5-6 years ago when I dinged the door of our family's first car, a new Honda Amaze, I lost sleep over it for days. Back then I thought Polo was fast, and now even my 400bhp car doesn't feel fast enough Coincidentally a guy in his Golf R tried to race me on the freeway today, I believe Polo is the stripped down slower version of Golf.
Old 8th August 2020, 15:33   #31265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrA View Post
I believe Polo is the stripped down slower version of Golf.
Polo is the smaller version of Golf. How stripped down it is probably depends on what models are available in your country.
Old 8th August 2020, 16:01   #31266
BHPian

A Tata Tiago was crushed under a truck. Locals pulled the car out and rescued the driver. The good news is that the driver of the car survived even after being stuck inside the car for 5 hours.

Source: Arun Panwar's youtube channel.

Last edited by Tom Sooraj : 8th August 2020 at 16:05.
Tom Sooraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 16:13   #31267
Senior - BHPian

Another day, another crash, lives lost. 5 guys in a car go out to a friend's birthday and decide to go on a drive after. High speeds and stationary trees don't go well. The result is 4 dead on the spot and one with grievous injuries. All 22-year olds from well-to-do families in my town. Rumours are that they were drunk.

Old 8th August 2020, 16:19   #31268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Another day, another crash, lives lost. 5 guys in a car go out to a friend's birthday and decide to go on a drive after. High speeds and stationary trees don't go well. The result is 4 dead on the spot and one with grievous injuries. All 22-year olds from well-to-do families in my town. Rumours are that they were drunk.
Is there any video footage of this accident? Looks like only one side of the car was damaged badly, so I’m assuming it didn’t topple.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 8th August 2020 at 16:23.
Old 8th August 2020, 16:23   #31269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Is there video footage of this accident? Looks like only one side of the car was damaged badly, so I’m assuming it didn’t topple.
No. The accident happened on the Anaikatti Road which is a route with farmland and forests. There's a very long straight stretch of about 4 kms where I guess this happened. Also, it was the wee hours of the morning.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 20:02   #31270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sooraj View Post
A Tata Tiago was crushed under a truck. Locals pulled the car out and rescued the driver. The good news is that the driver of the car survived even after being stuck inside the car for 5 hours.

Source: Arun Panwar's Youtube channel.
Doesn't look like Indian Accident. The uniform bit security men is a give way.

Anyhow Tata Tiago is involved that's clear & the driver is definitely lucky to be alive after being crushed & remaining same for 5 hours.
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 13:39   #31271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Doesn't look like Indian Accident. The uniform bit security men is a give way.

Anyhow Tata Tiago is involved that's clear & the driver is definitely lucky to be alive after being crushed & remaining same for 5 hours.
You're right! If you closely observe the people in that video, there's a person with Nepal Police written on back of his shirt.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nepal.jpg

I heard from my Nepali friend that cars in Nepal are priced exorbitantly, may be due to taxes and currency value. The same Tiago which costs 6 lakhs in India costs around 22 lakhs in Nepal.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-prices.jpg

I wonder how much does it cost for vehicle servicing and general maintenance in Nepal
WhiteSierra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 15:04   #31272
BHPian

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mat...ayam-1.4965312

Link to a drowning accident I Kottayam, Kerala. The news is in Malayalam. Rough translation is that the driver drowned in the car which fell into a waterlogged area. The car slipped and fell into the water body and the driver initially came out and called for crane services but then decided to get back in the car and it was swept away and he drowned. It happened last night and body/car was found today.
Old 9th August 2020, 15:31   #31273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post

I heard from my Nepali friend that cars in Nepal are priced exorbitantly, may be due to taxes and currency value. The same Tiago which costs 6 lakhs in India costs around 22 lakhs in Nepal.

Attachment 2040428

I wonder how much does it cost for vehicle servicing and general maintenance in Nepal
It's in NPR. Even then it still works out to be very expensive comparatively
Old 9th August 2020, 20:13   #31274
BHPian

Woman Dragged By Car in Mangalore, Karnataka.

Wonder why the car driver didn't brake on time, he could have easily avoided running over her. Appreciate the cop's swift response and his presence of mind. He asked the bystanders to lift the car instead of asking the car driver to reverse which would have caused more damage to the woman.

Old 10th August 2020, 09:09   #31275
BHPian

https://in.yahoo.com/news/karnataka-...075125924.html

Another news about Mangalore accident. Car driver, a senior citizen, says he pressed accelerator instead of brake in panic.

Also, look between 00:04 & 00:06 part of the video: car is already nearing middle of the junction, whereas rider is entering the junction at 00:04. Unfortunately, the lady followed the same 'me first' mentality that affects most of two wheeler rider in our country. It appears, rider didn't slow down at all for the junction.

Post she hit the car, of course, it's mistake of car driver. Car driver will walk away with six months jail time or certain fine but rider is scarred for the life, if not some disability (I certainly wish her speedy recovery).

I really hope such videos help change the riding habits and leave certain margin of error for other vehicles on the road.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 11th August 2020 at 02:49. Reason: Typo. Thanks.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks