Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2020, 12:18   #31276
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
https://in.yahoo.com/news/karnataka-...075125924.html

Another news about Mangalore accident. Car driver, a senior citizen, says he pressed accelerator instead of break in panic.
Complete lack of coordination!. The car driver is inching ahead and looks like he missed seeing the lady as he is trying to cover all sides.

As for her, she decided that she is NOT going to stop for the car to pass come what may. Even if she does decide that, it takes a momentary pause to confirm the car's intentions. His reaction should indicate that he is in agreement with her!.

Wish her a speedy recovery. Hope she has learnt a lesson. I know of some ladies who after a mishap of any sorts have stopped riding two-wheelers altogether. Either they have chosen to do it or their families have forced them.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 13:02   #31277
Distinguished - BHPian

A Honda City being driven by a student Tushar Gupta (19) went out of control near Khalsa College, Delhi last night and toppled several times. It killed police head constable Wazir Singh (50), who was in a police patrolling vehicle, a Scorpio, which was hit. Another constable was injured. Reports say that the student was drunk.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...mpression=true

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th August 2020 at 22:10. Reason: typo
Old 10th August 2020, 13:14   #31278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
https://in.yahoo.com/news/karnataka-...075125924.html

Also, look between 00:04 & 00:06 part of the video: car is already nearing middle of the junction, whereas rider is entering the junction at 00:04. Unfortunately, the lady followed the same 'me first' mentality that affects most of two wheeler rider in our country. It appears, rider didn't slow down at all for the junction.
Your observation about two wheeler riders is spot on. I also belong to the 'me first' category when I ride my two wheeler. On cars, I'm always safe and vigilant but whenever I lay my hands on a two wheeler, I transform into a different person. All these accidents are examples and eye openers for me and many other riders. I don't know how to mend my ways but I should really try hard to change my two wheeler riding habits. :banghead:

Being doctors and seeing many accident cases everyday, my parents never encouraged two wheelers, I always used to drive cars. I bought one after I started earning and like most other riders in the city I too cut across cars and other vehicles(where the road is empty), switch lanes (which I never used to do when driving cars). I seriously need to calm my nerves down while riding otherwise I may end up in this thread sometime. My riding experience is much lesser than my driving experience. I thought going from cars to bikes will be much easier but both are very different and I'm still learning to ride properly (following lane discipline, not to ride between two bigger vehicles, be vigilant while crossing smaller lanes).

This thread is very educative on how not to drive and ride , and how to avoid accidents. :thumbup:
WhiteSierra is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 13:37   #31279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A Honda City bring driven by a student Tushar Gupta (19) went out of control near Khalsa College, Delhi last night and toppled several times. It killed police head constable Wazir Singh (50), who was in a police patrolling vehicle, a Scorpio, which was hit. Another constable was injured. Reports say that the student was drunk.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...mpression=true
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Appreciated the cop's swift response and his presence of mind. He asked the bystanders to lift the car instead of asking the car driver to reverse which would have caused more damage to the woman.
If only this cop were doing his duty controlling traffic, this accident could have been averted. Once the mishap occurs, he magically appears.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 14:17   #31280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
If only this cop were doing his duty controlling traffic, this accident could have been averted. Once the mishap occurs, he magically appears.
More than blaming the (ever not present, if at all any) Cop , it is the fault of the lady driver.

She should have given way to the car. Hope she is alright and recuperates soon.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:19   #31281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A Honda City bring driven by a student Tushar Gupta (19) went out of control ... ... ... Reports say that the student was drunk.
Yet again, we hear of a car going out of control. when it is the driver that went out of control. With tragic consequences.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 21:05   #31282
BHPian

Happened in Kerala. Received via Whatsapp. As per the message the patient inside the ambulance lost his life.

Attachment 2041076

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Last edited by arungeorge : 10th August 2020 at 21:07.
arungeorge is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 22:05   #31283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Happened in Kerala.
Here is the video:

balenoed_ is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 22:46   #31284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Here is the video
Apparently the reckless two wheeler rider is the cause of this accident. Not sure why he could not wait for the ambulance to pass
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 23:39   #31285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the video:
Yes the bike guy is fault here, but I would not negate the Ambulance's guys lack of experience here too, you can see before he hits the car, he has stomped on the brakes while trying to enter his lane, the light tailed Tempo Traveler has definitely locked its rear wheels due to which the rear has side stepped and hit the car.

A very experienced driver would know the characteristics of his car and would not have hit the brakes hard while making a sharp maneuver, its like in a cycle, you would not hit the front brakes hard while you are turning as you would not turn but end up going straight instead.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 01:52   #31286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the video:
Oh dear god, I hope the cops nab him based on this video and fine his a** off the road

How can one be so oblivious to the surroundings to miss the blazing sirens of an ambulance.

On the other hand, given the general dB levels in India, I wonder if we should have really really loud emergency vehicle sirens. The standard level just doesn't cut it in our environment I suppose.

Hear an Ambulance barrel down anywhere in the western countries and then compare that to what we get to hear in our country. The difference is night and day!
Old 11th August 2020, 02:13   #31287
BHPian

People getting killed or injured because of yet another rider who thinks world need to stop, slow or adjust to their whims. It’s a tragedy that 99% of our riders are like this and there is not even a slight ray of hope their road behavior will improve even in far future.
Yieldway17 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 02:45   #31288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
How can one be so oblivious to the surroundings to miss the blazing sirens of an ambulance....
Unfortunately this is how it works on our roads.

All the three drivers exhibited Me-First mentality. Nobody wanted to yield/slow down to the other driver which is usually the case.
- The two-wheeler just barged in the path of the ambulance.
- The ambulance driver rashly overtook the two wheeler crossing to the opposite lane and panic braked seeing the fast approaching car and fish-tailed into the car.
- The car was being driven way too fast with on that narrow road with no signs of slowing down even after clearly seeing the ambulance with its headlights blazing at quite a distance.

Atleast in this case, some consideration should been definitely given to the Ambulance by the other two by slowing down and stopping.

But that does not give the Ambulance driver the right to step out of his lane and bang into the oncoming vehicle endangering everyone including the patient in the ambulance. What is the use of all this hurry and then ending up getting toppled on the side of the road. Big time lack of common-sense.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 11th August 2020 at 02:52.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 03:59   #31289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Unfortunately this is how it works on our roads.

All the three drivers exhibited Me-First mentality. Nobody wanted to yield/slow down to the other driver which is usually the case.
- The two-wheeler just barged in the path of the ambulance.
- The ambulance driver rashly overtook the two wheeler crossing to the opposite lane and panic braked seeing the fast approaching car and fish-tailed into the car.
- The car was being driven way too fast with on that narrow road with no signs of slowing down even after clearly seeing the ambulance with its headlights blazing at quite a distance.
Looking at the video and the "on" headlights I think the ambulance was attending an emergency. In such conditions I always believe Ambulance and emergency vehicles do have the right of the way.

He was not overtaking the two wheeler, but was trying to avoid the slow speed rider who got into the main road carelessly. Had the bike not been there both the ambulance and car would have gone to their direction without any fuss.

When you take driving lessons in Europe/Australia etc, one of the important point you need to follow is slow down near intersections, give way to the vehicles on your right, do a shoulder check and move into the next lane only when you are sure that there is at least 3 seconds gap between you and the vehicle behind you. Very simple but logical steps that can avoid accidents like these.

I hope this video is shared with the Motor Vehicles Department in Kerala and action taken against the two wheeler. Considering the MVD is active in pursuing offenders based on videos i hope it happens.

Even in a non-emergency case, you need to be careful and will have to wait before entering any main road when there is traffic.

Damages to cars can be repaired but we can never revive a dead person !!

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 11th August 2020 at 04:01.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 08:10   #31290
BHPian

An idiotic move by one person combined with not-so-skilled driving by another person ended up in the loss of a life.

Car is in its own lane and as always from Dashcam, we cannot judge or assume its speed. So to me, car is not to be blamed.

Well the biker has to be deaf,dumb and blind to just get into a road like that. An ambulance with its lights on and I am sure the siren would have been loud enough to get anyone’s attention. But still he had to cross and couldn’t wait.

Ambulance driver. He should be knowing the limits of his vehicle, especially the tyres. Maybe the condition of the patient was very critical and hence not criticising him more. He could have just slammed the brakes first before trying to overtake when he can see there is a on coming car.

Most Viewed