Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2020, 16:40   #31396
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
When we are not able to see the whole scenario, it is best to assume the worst. For example, if I am taking a blind curve, I will always assume a container lorry to have got broken down in the middle of the road.
Excellent attitude! Applies to approaching the brow of a hill too. Much more conducive to long life of self and others than assuming that arrogance keeps the road ahead clear
Quote:
Even with all that, it is ultimately by the grace of God that one reaches the destination.
Even as an atheist, I can't disagree!

Last edited by ajmat : 26th August 2020 at 20:49.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 20:57   #31397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Accident in Jaipur last week. 2 people on the road lost lives.
Once again this underscores the danger of hanging around or stopping on or even near a road. This biker seemed to be stopped right on the road itself to arrange some barrels on his bike and got hit by an out of control vehicle. It would have been much safer to pull off the road preferably in to some business or protected area to stop. Unfortunately people in India stop and wander around even on fast moving expressways.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 07:29   #31398
BHPian

Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-file7c2kczqgleur9s0p1k08788441598562045.jpg
Three youths on way to funeral killed in ghastly accident

Three men driving to Kunigal for a funeral were killed in a ghastly accident on the northern outskirts of Bengaluru on Thursday, police said. A fourth member of the group suffered extensive injuries but is out of danger.
Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/city/th...nt-878844.html

Last edited by virgopal : 28th August 2020 at 07:34. Reason: Removing duplicate sentences
Old 28th August 2020, 07:40   #31399
Senior - BHPian

Fatal bike crash at night this week in Durganagar.
The motorcyclists seem to be driving too fast, unable to control the bike at the turn, were not wearing helmets and managed to crash on a reasonably empty road.
Fatal crash video - linking to the video rather than posting it here.
http://www.thewiseherb.com/bike-acci...n-august-2020/
Thankfully they did not crash into another bike or pedestrian.
Old 28th August 2020, 08:55   #31400
BHPian

CCTV : Two dead as speeding bike rams into divider in Hyderabad

According to reports, two persons without helmet on a speeding bike lost control and rammed into a divider and two men died on the spot.

We've seen two similar accidents in this thread just couple of days back!
Old 28th August 2020, 13:44   #31401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Three men driving to Kunigal for a funeral were killed in a ghastly accident on the northern outskirts of Bengaluru on Thursday, police said. A fourth member of the group suffered extensive injuries but is out of danger
The angle of the crash seems to make no sense. If the truck is driving in the correct direction of the carriageway then the car should have been coming from the left side. How did the car end up angled towards the right of the truck and even the truck is turned in that direction. It appears as if both vehicles turned towards each other to crash head on. Only problem is that the car is coming from what appears to be the wrong side.
Old 28th August 2020, 14:10   #31402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The angle of the crash seems to make no sense. If the truck is driving in the correct direction of the carriageway then the car should have been coming from the left side. How did the car end up angled towards the right of the truck and even the truck is turned in that direction. It appears as if both vehicles turned towards each other to crash head on. Only problem is that the car is coming from what appears to be the wrong side.
The car jumped the median and ended up head on with the truck on the opposite lane. Angle might be the result of truck driver trying to swerve left to avoid the collision, or, post collision due to truck's momentum and truck driver's reflex action.
Old 28th August 2020, 14:14   #31403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The angle of the crash seems to make no sense.
For me it looks like it's a 4 lane highway, 2 lanes on each side. The car might have jumped the divider and ended up on the on-coming traffic lane , the HP cylinders lorry guy might have braked hard , drifted a little but couldn't control the vehicle on time eventually hitting the car. As that was a 2 lane highway(each side) there are white broken line paint marks on the road. Had it been a single road with 2 lanes, there would be continuous lines with white paint. So my guess is the ciaz might have jumped the divider and might have ended up in the opposite lane.
Old 28th August 2020, 14:17   #31404
Distinguished - BHPian

The report clearly says that the car jumped the median to collide head on with a truck on the opposite carriageway.

Jumping medians and crashing into oncoming traffic remains my worst paranoia. High time all our dual carriageway highways get guardrails along the median that will immensely reduce such mishaps.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 15:43   #31405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post

In puducherry, husband dies and wife struggles with severe injury when a container truck hit them.
How beautiful the world would be if all are blessed with common sense. Sorry for being harsh, cost of life is unimaginable, I get irritated on seeing these videos.

2 main mistakes, don't overtake from left, especially not with trucks and one should understand the vehicle motion and abort immediately, it is not the time to be super smart.

Some of the lessons I learnt from my 11 years of car driving. One should respect the size of the vehicle and let it pass. While overtaking, if you are not confident even for 0.1%, abort

Last edited by vvivek85 : 28th August 2020 at 15:44. Reason: Typo
vvivek85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 15:45   #31406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
For me it looks like it's a 4 lane highway, 2 lanes on each side.
It sure is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Jumping medians and crashing into oncoming traffic remains my worst paranoia.
Mine too. the only thing I am most scared of and believe is all on luck is that scenario. Umpteen number of cases that we have seen, here in this very thread itself.

I apply a small strategy to mitigate that risk by how much ever small percentage. The most probably reason that a vehicle would jump from other side could be at curves, where that driver failed to provide a steering input to negotiate that curve. I am not saying it will not happen on a straight road as well. I am just considering that percentage of accidents happening on a curve. So if it has to happen on a curve, then most probably it would be on a left curve for you if you are the one jumping the divider. If it is a right curve you would be probably heading towards the outer lane and out of the road and not on to opposite side, if you fail to provide any steering inputs.

A sketch.. So, that "me", when I am on the right lane and about to encounter a right curve, switch to the left lane to avoid incase anyone barges out of the bushes into the right lane from opposite side.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1234.jpg

Might sound odd, well.. some strategy better than nothing.
balenoed_ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 16:42   #31407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
It sure is.

... So, that "me", when I am on the right lane and about to encounter a right curve, switch to the left lane to avoid incase anyone barges out of the bushes into the right lane from opposite side.
.... some strategy better than nothing.
Staying in the right lane for long periods has additional risks apart from the above, the risk of the right tires coming in contact with the low concrete divider is higher sending the car flying across to the other side or resulting in flipping over.

Also the reaction time is lesser if some animal or person decides to suddenly cross the divider and come in your path on the rightmost lane.

The rightmost lane should be used only for what it is intended, ie., for overtaking and then coming back to the middle or leftmost lane depending on the vehicle speed. This would be a safer strategy.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 17:12   #31408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post

Three youths on way to funeral killed in ghastly accident[/u][/b]

Three men driving to Kunigal for a funeral were killed in a ghastly accident on the northern outskirts of Bengaluru on Thursday, police said. A fourth member of the group suffered extensive injuries but is out of danger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
CCTV : Two dead as speeding bike rams into divider in Hyderabad

According to reports, two persons without helmet on a speeding bike lost control and rammed into a divider and two men died on the spot.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry on seeing such accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

The rightmost lane should be used only for what it is intended, ie., for overtaking and then coming back to the middle or leftmost lane depending on the vehicle speed. This would be a safer strategy.
I try my best to stay in the middle or left most lane always. The right most lane just next to a median (especially ones with small gaps in between) is outright dangerous for not only flying cars, but TVS 50s squeezing in, animals suddenly jumping on to the road etc.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 18:15   #31409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I don't know whether to laugh or cry on seeing such accidents.
It's crazy. Almost as if they are trying to do circus stunt and jump between those two poles.

Are they coming from a road to the left? They are trying to turn onto this main road, they have the whole width of the road, and they still don't make it.

Hell for them should be a perpetual driving lesson.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 19:04   #31410
BHPian

A truck transporting weapons and equipment for the Army to Jabalpur was rammed by a speeding car on the Kundannoor-Thevara bridge (Kochi,Kerala) here on Wednesday night. The drivers of both vehicles were injured.
The X5 looks totalled.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...y-2189225.html
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-122.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-123.jpg  

Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks