Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2020, 19:21   #31411
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post

When we are not able to see the whole scenario, it is best to assume the worst. For example, if I am taking a blind curve, I will always assume a container lorry to have got broken down in the middle of the road.

Even with all that, it is ultimately by the grace of God that one reaches the destination.
Perfect approach on our roads .

Negativity and pessimism will keep us alert and ready for the worst. Another example I can think straight off which I practise- I expect every two wheeler around me to fall off any moment so that I am mentally tuned to react if and when it happens.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 19:51   #31412
BHPian

I am from civilian background, shouldn't an army truck carry these weapons?
100Rabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 15:13   #31413
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
So if it has to happen on a curve, then most probably it would be on a left curve for you if you are the one jumping the divider. If it is a right curve you would be probably heading towards the outer lane and out of the road and not on to opposite side, if you fail to provide any steering inputs.

A sketch.. So, that "me", when I am on the right lane and about to encounter a right curve, switch to the left lane to avoid incase anyone barges out of the bushes into the right lane from opposite side.
I actually think the exact opposite of your strategy would work better. As you already mentioned, it's a game of probability, and we want to reduce the probability as much as possible. How about this diagram ?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-probability-getting-hit-median-jumpers.png  

Last edited by venkyhere : 29th August 2020 at 15:15. Reason: forgot to upload pic
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 22:46   #31414
Senior - BHPian

Kia Seltos test driving vehicle crashed into divider, driver and co-passenger survived with minor injuries.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-smartselect_20200829223909_youtube.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-smartselect_20200829223932_youtube.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-smartselect_20200829223949_youtube.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th August 2020 at 23:09.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 23:53   #31415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Kia Seltos test driving vehicle crashed into divider, driver and co-passenger survived with minor injuries.
Not sure if it's just to me - Take a close look at the reflection on the display of the driver. He seems to be steering left and right lightly after that tight overtake. Probably checking the response of steering? And went too close to the median and lost control.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:24   #31416
BHPian

Not sure which emotion to show here. This guy even if he buys Seltos will always be afraid while giving the vehicle for service.
Quote:
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:44   #31417
BHPian

Tata Hexa from BIAL fleet, spotted this at Tata ASS. Apparently the car has been lying with them for over 30 days now. No airbags deployed and dash seemed unaffected but the MID was shattered.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20200829_102058.jpg
AJ739 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 10:44   #31418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Not sure if it's just to me - Take a close look at the reflection on the display of the driver. He seems to be steering left and right lightly after that tight overtake. Probably checking the response of steering? And went too close to the median and lost control.
I saw this post on a facebook group and as per that post, its tyre burst during test drive so the driver lost control on the car.
Old 30th August 2020, 11:13   #31419
BHPian

Quote:

Looks like the customer also got a demo of airbags deployment.

Could very well be a case of tyre burst, check out the middle portion of tyre in that video, only burst tyres will appear like that. Or was the tyre burst after the accident? The video also tells us that vehicle is going for repair with an insurance claim. With roof taking a hit and bent a little, isn't it a total loss?
Old 30th August 2020, 16:35   #31420
VRJ
BHPian

A horrible road accident in Chittor, Andhra Pradesh involving a Volvo V90 CC, a bike and a lorry. The car is registered in Bangalore, Karnataka and a family (from Kundanahalli) was travelling from KA to Tirupathi.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-v90.jpeg
Source: https://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...r-2190231.html

A careless irresponsible biker drove in the wrong direction and the car was allegedly over speeding and hit the bike and lost control. Unfortunately, the car rammed in to a parked lorry from behind and went underneath it. 3 out of 5 people in the car and the biker passed away on the spot. The other two passengers are severely injured. The parents and their son passed away and the daughter-in-law is in the hospital. I can't imagine what she would be going through. God bless her :(

Different media outlets have different stories. What's surprising is the under-run bar that is designed to stop cars from riding underneath the rear overhang of a heavy vehicle FAILED to do its job. It is clearly evident in the above picture that the car drove through the bar. Maybe the under-run bars have a crash speed limit that they can handle or is it case of a poor quality bar installed to comply with the law? A question to the experts, would the situation be any different if it was a XC90 and not a V90. Safety ratings aside, would a SUV be safer in such a situation and maybe improve the probability of saving the passengers?

I don’t know why the heavy vehicles are parked on the left side of the road when it’s clearly a no-parking zone. How inconsiderate . What makes this worse is we generally tend to overtake from the left on two lane highways because these damn heavy vehicles drive at 50kmph in the right lane and they don’t budge when honked, leaving us no choice. As these national highways go through small villages, the locals drive as if the NH is their local village road. No regard to rules and speeding vehicles. If that biker would have followed rules and drove in the right direction, there would have been no accident and the family would have peacefully drove to Tirupathi and the biker would have gone home to his family.

This personally hit me because I lost my best friends brother in a very similar accident in Hyderabad’s ORR. His car hit a parked heavy vehicle and succumbed to his injuries on the spot along with three of his friends. There is only much the government can do, its' up to the people to drive with common sense. So many accidents due to wrong parking of heavy vehicles, i don't understand what the police are up to. The day the accident happens, the police are all over the place and are strict for a week and then they magically disappear and reappear only after there is another incident.

I've personally seen a lot of baby boomers disregard the law (not stereotyping or pointing fingers), even few of the elders in my extended family sometimes break rules such as driving on the wrong side of the road because the U-turn is a KM away or not buckling up. These mistakes might be insignificant when done, but they can cost you and other people their lives. Whats worse is even the millennial's, who are all educated and have traveled to many countries, are also becoming irresponsible lately. The common dialogue that everyone says 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do' When in India, drive like an Indian. Hell, even my father tells me this sometimes when I'm in traffic when i still stick to the right lane to take a right or a U-turn, even though the right lane has traffic. I'm sure BHP'ians are responsible drivers, i wish all Indians are too.

Indians are such lovely people that show bucket loads of love to family and friend and are always ready to help. I don't understand what happens the second people get in to a car. All of a sudden people become inconsiderate and impatient. Everyone wants to reach their destination in record time everyday. It's like everyone has a medical emergency and they need to reach a hospital ASAP. The other day i had to visit another city for some personal work and i was driving at 100 (my usual speed on NH). This time i pushed to 120 at one stretch because i know my Fortuner can handle that speed and the roads were literally empty due to Covid. Surprise surprise, this Volkswagen Ameo TDI at 120 kmph drives next to me with a woman and her child on her lap in the front passenger seat and three others in the back and then all of a sudden floors it and shoots past me at 140kmph or something. He was out of my vision in less than 10 seconds. This car was followed by a Swift that wanted to overtake the Ameo. Unbelievable.

I know time is money, but at what cost?
VRJ is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 17:08   #31421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Looks like the customer also got a demo of airbags deployment.

Could very well be a case of tyre burst, check out the middle portion of tyre in that video, only burst tyres will appear like that. Or was the tyre burst after the accident? The video also tells us that vehicle is going for repair with an insurance claim. With roof taking a hit and bent a little, isn't it a total loss?
He just drove into the median. There's nothing to be done about people who just drive into things.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 17:36   #31422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
.... What's surprising is the under-run bar that is designed to stop cars from riding underneath the rear overhang of a heavy vehicle FAILED to do its job. It is clearly evident in the above picture that the car drove through the bar.

...........would the situation be any different if it was a XC90 and not a V90. Safety ratings aside,
These under-run bars are aftermarket flimsy fitments on most trucks and may prevent a smaller vehicle from sliding underneath the truck on low impact shunts, but not a 2 tonne SUV slamming into it so much momentum.

Whatever be the make of the vehicle, even a Rolls-Royce would face the same fate if it ploughed its A-Pillar directly into the rigid Truck Chassis. The pillars would get crushed no matter what the safety ratings.

Safety Ratings hold good for 64kmph collisions that the car is able to take at its bumper level. The Trucks bumper would have to be about the same level as the car's bumper for the car's passive safety to be effective. Any collision with an Indian Truck with its mile high bumper will result in the Truck chassis ploughing through the roof and pillars of the car no matter its safety ratings.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 30th August 2020 at 17:37.
for_cars1 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 17:39   #31423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Rabh View Post
I saw this post on a facebook group and as per that post, its tyre burst during test drive so the driver lost control on the car.
The sequence of event must be in reverse. The driver lost control and then hit the divider and the tyre burst. How else would a brand new tyre burst on a seemingly good road. He was too close to the divider and must have mis-judged the width of the car.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 30th August 2020 at 17:49.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 18:30   #31424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Different media outlets have different stories. What's surprising is the under-run bar that is designed to stop cars from riding underneath the rear overhang of a heavy vehicle FAILED to do its job. It is clearly evident in the above picture that the car drove through the bar. Maybe the under-run bars have a crash speed limit that they can handle or is it case of a poor quality bar installed to comply with the law? A question to the experts, would the situation be any different if it was a XC90 and not a V90. Safety ratings aside, would a SUV be safer in such a situation and maybe improve the probability of saving the passengers? ?
The under-run folded up due to bad quality, the speed of the car and worst of all, the overhang of the truck. The bar should have slowed the car and the rear wheels would have acted as the final stop. In this case, the bars folded right in.

It will be interesting to see whether anyone in the Volvo belted up. Am betting that they sat on their belts as the body shell is intact.

No doubt, Volvo will investigate this as they take deaths in their cars quite seriously.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 19:39   #31425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It will be interesting to see whether anyone in the Volvo belted up. Am betting that they sat on their belts as the body shell is intact.
They seem to have belted. But if you are wondering why they did not survive then, no chance.. Look at the way the roof has been ripped off, probably by those two heavy I-beams of the truck that intruded into the cabin.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-191951andhrapradeshroadaccident.jpg
(masked some red color)

Must have been in insane speeds that he couldn't even apply brake. Surely wouldn't a Rs.65L car have decent brakes to stop it if driven in decent speeds, even if it encounter such unforeseen instance like this where it was just a two wheeler that jumped in-front of it.

RIP!
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks