Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2020, 16:43   #31651
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

On my visit to the Honda service centre I saw this this totally smashed Honda City. Maybe a tree fell on it? As looking at the tyres it doesn’t seem the damage was done due to toppling. Hopefully there were no occupants in the car when the accident happened...

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-b0f77413c0064ec1a2b18ed5088ba9bc.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-f733ece688034b5090591c58f4705168.jpeg
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 17:09   #31652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
On my visit to the Honda service centre I saw this this totally smashed Honda City. Maybe a tree fell on it? As looking at the tyres it doesn’t seem the damage was done due to toppling. Hopefully there were no occupants in the car when the accident happened...
If it was a tree, the complete body from front to rear wouldn't have gone, the body might have collapsed but the cabin would still be visible. I suspect that it might have gone under a lorry or a truck trailer without under body guard rails at high speeds
Old 4th October 2020, 10:07   #31653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
... it might have gone under a lorry or a truck trailer without under body guard rails at high speeds
Or most likely a wall collapsed on the parked car given that the external lower areas including the front tyres are intact.
There are numerous instances of the best of car pillars crumbling down like paper if a wall collapsed over it. The forces are simply too large.
Old 4th October 2020, 15:31   #31654
VRJ
BHPian

This is probably the worst accident I’ve seen. This is extremely saddening. Succumbing due to someone else’s mistake is something I can’t digest. God bless his family. Screenshot is from the Inshorts application.

I wonder how heavy the scrap that fell on top of his car is. It totally crumbled the roof of the strongly built VW. This would have been worse in a car with a panoramic sunroof.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-44df3b7c0a4c4d6fa2735a0ea2c1bac8.png

Last edited by VRJ : 4th October 2020 at 15:34.
VRJ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 17:22   #31655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post

Attachment 2061760

Attachment 2061761
Comparing these pictures with the one above, it looks most likely that the Honda also met a similar fate.
Old 4th October 2020, 18:04   #31656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
The picture says cardboard! Really? I find that so hard to believe! I wanna see a video of that! What's the weight of a roll of cardboard?
Old 4th October 2020, 20:26   #31657
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The picture says cardboard! Really? I find that so hard to believe! I wanna see a video of that! What's the weight of a roll of cardboard?
simple physics -

2-tonne SUV falling from 1 feet height
v/s
100kg rolled/tied stack of used cardboard falling from 20* feet height

both will inflict the same damage on the unfortunate item that has to withstand the falling object.

(* assuming 20 feet is short enough for the cardboard stack to not attain terminal velocity)
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 20:35   #31658
BHPian

Looks more like plywood than cardboard, as rightly said 100kg of tied up stack of cardboard falling from 20feet may cause that level of damage, more so when vehicles are not designed for impacts from heavy objects falling from the top.

This is just another case of pathetic case of non-implementation of rules/laws, the occupants are hapless victims of a completely broken system.
setuniket is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 21:54   #31659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Initial reaction is that it is unlikely. But if you have ever had to lift a number of flat cardboard boxes you'd realise they are, if decent strength, quite heavy.

I'm thinking of corrugated cardboard, which includes a lot of air. If they mean card, as in thick paper, a stack of paper is basically a block of wood. Pulped, made into sheets, and then stacked back together again as block.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 22:20   #31660
BHPian

Quote:
For reference, 1bundle of 80gsm A4 paper (500 sheets) weighs about 2.5kg. Scrap transport packs materials so tight in each block/bundle such that each each can weigh anywhere from 100kg to 250kg. I have always been apprehensive of driving behind/ along loaded scrap carriers.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 00:00   #31661
BHPian

Two students killed in road accident in Hyderabad

In a tragic incident, two students who are on the way to DEECET examination were killed in a road accident in Miyapur on Sunday morning. According to the sources, the deceased persons identified as Shwetha and Srinivas from Zaheerabad were heading towards Moulali to attend the exam.

As per reports, a speeding lorry hit their Suzuki Access from the behind and Shwetha and Srinivas who were on the scooter fell on the road near South India Shopping Mall, Madinaguda and died on the spot with severe injuries. Police shifted the bodies to Osmania hospital for autopsy and filed a case against the lorry driver who fled the spot.

WhiteSierra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 08:04   #31662
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder how heavy the scrap that fell on top of his car is. It totally crumbled the roof of the strongly built VW. This would have been worse in a car with a panoramic sunroof.
Found a few more pictures of the same on rushlane crashlane Facebook group. There's a video of the aftermath too on that group.
You can see the truck involved leaning in the last picture.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1601864559114.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1601864565496.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1601865135753.jpg  

Neeraj1903 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:09   #31663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
Oh, nightmare!

We all of know to stay clear of badly- or over-loaded trucks, but when the load drops out of the sky?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:19   #31664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
Found a few more pictures of the same on rushlane crashlane Facebook group. There's a video of the aftermath too on that group.
From the images it looks like multiple cardboard stacks fell on the car and not just one stack. The damaged car is surrounded by them

Last edited by SnS_12 : 5th October 2020 at 16:25.
Old 5th October 2020, 16:23   #31665
BHPian

Quote:
This is probably the worst accident I’ve seen. This is extremely saddening. Succumbing due to someone else’s mistake is something I can’t digest. God bless his family. Screenshot is from the Inshorts application.

Attachment 2062850
As far as I know, a truck is not allowed on any flyover in the city. Please correct me if I am wrong!

When will our authorities address the real issue here?
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks