Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2020, 21:21   #31756
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith Rajan View Post
Wrong advice. Parking with just hand brake is a bad practice. ... ... ...
Then your car has not been properly serviced.

The hand (or "parking") brake is supposed to hold your car when parked. Certain circumstances may call for backup measures. Leaving the car in gear is one of these, but I'd consider it bad practice to do this regularly: your transmission and engine is not supposed to be holding the weight of your car.

not properly serviced: In my garden, the front wheels of my car are sometimes on a slope. My handbrake needed adjusting for several months last year. I put it off until service time and did use the gear, but as well as the brake.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 21:24   #31757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
The biker waltzes through the intersection to the opposite lane as if taking a stroll in the park...fully deserves his fate. Feel sad for the Alto car as he had nearly no time to react to the stupid biker and has to live with guilt now.
Seriously! How could you not look to your left and right at least once before crossing an intersection? Like how? How could you be so lacking in even basic survival instinct?

And from the video, the Alto driver was only slightly less at fault. He had a clear view (no trucks or buses blocking his view), the stupid Biker had crossed half way through, the Alto could have easily started to slow down when he saw this turd scooter driver but he too wanted to squeeze past.

Never understand the Indian road mentality of never applying a brake unless it is a dire situation.

If both had used their brakes, even for 2 secs this would have been averted
Stribog is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 12:14   #31758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

The hand (or "parking") brake is supposed to hold your car when parked. Certain circumstances may call for backup measures. Leaving the car in gear is one of these, but I'd consider it bad practice to do this regularly: your transmission and engine is not supposed to be holding the weight of your car.

not properly serviced: In my garden, the front wheels of my car are sometimes on a slope. My handbrake needed adjusting for several months last year. I put it off until service time and did use the gear, but as well as the brake.
Theoretically it should hold. But practically not so reliable.

The bite depends on the wear and tear, tension on the cables (how hard you pull) etc. Sometimes the car could start rolling with a little external force in slopes.

Engine, gear and transmission etc are robust enough to hold much more than the weight of the car. The force it endures while moving, carrying load uphill etc is way more than when it is stopped.
Renjith Rajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 12:37   #31759

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Two DUI accident cases in Hyderabad. Looks like life is back to normal, no one is fearing corona, people are going out to pubs and wine shops in the wekends, getting drunk, driving under influence of alcohol and killing themselves in accidents.
I just cannot feel sorry for these people, in fact kind of relieved that they rammed into each other and the divider, instead of someone innocent.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2020 at 04:32. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Old 12th October 2020, 13:14   #31760
GTB
BHPian

Quote:

Apparently the car is registered on a company name (Megha engineering) and the driver fled from the spot leaving the car behind.
Unfortunately, this company has good political support. No picture of the driver has been shown on the media. I hope the driver doesn't get away with it.
GTB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 13:14   #31761
Distinguished - BHPian

From today, on Chennai - Trichy National highways, Siruganur

The Art

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20201012_111549473.jpg

The Artist

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20201012_111416430.jpg

Here is the dashcam footage. I guess the red verna slowed down after seeing the horse-cart crossing the road, the accent guy didn't notice it, steered off the path of the cart and banged at the back of the slowing down verna.

I couldn't find exactly what happened from the distance my car was in. All I could notice was sudden deceleration of the black car and the cart on the left lane, and a bang.

I slowed down towards the shoulder on the left and got down as both the cars were stopped on the fast lane of the highway. Asked them to move to the shoulder. As usual they started to argue, and when a villager pointed out the cctv camera at the junction ,and that the highway patrol will reach there anytime soon, and if they come, they will have to file an FIR. These guys decided to pay cash, and the accent guy paid 2000 rupees and both went away. Lucky for the accent to have no damages to the radiator/engine.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 12th October 2020 at 13:16.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 13:47   #31762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Unfortunately, this company has good political support. No picture of the driver has been shown on the media. I hope the driver doesn't get away with it.
And surprisingly there won't be any cctv footage of the driver driving, ramming or running away leaving the car stranded.
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 15:08   #31763
BHPian

Quote:
According to the reports, two speeding car drivers under the influence of alcohol crashed into each other, two car drivers died on the spot and six people in two cars were injured severely.
Better these people kill each other than other road users. My comment might sound rude but they knew what they were getting into when they took the wheel while being intoxicated, I have no pity for them as thousands of innocents are killed each year to drunk drivers.
alikidwhy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 15:51   #31764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not sure which way is correct, I have people advising both ways when I learnt car driving.

I follow now gear only parking, reason being I had my car wheels jammed due to hand brake after I used the car in heavy rain and parking the car for 2 weeks. My internet search brought me to Team bhp, as advised in one of the thread I removed the jammed rear wheel had light hit on the drum with a hammer, that released the wheel. From then on I never engage the hand brake.
Old 12th October 2020, 16:49   #31765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Not sure which way is correct, I have people advising both ways when I learnt car driving.
I read or heard this somewhere:

1. Flat surface - Handbrake only
2. Uphill Slope - Handbrake and car in forward gear
3. Downhill Slope - Handbrake and car in reverse gear

Uphill and Downhill is basically which side your car faces.

But a handbrake SHOULD be used. That handbrake fusion may be was due to some residue rust but it's an easy fix.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th October 2020 at 12:19. Reason: spacing for improved readability
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 17:22   #31766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
I read or heard this somewhere:

1. Flat surface - Handbrake only
2. Uphill Slope - Handbrake and car in forward gear
3. Downhill Slope - Handbrake and car in reverse gear

Uphill and Downhill is basically which side your car faces.

But a handbrake SHOULD be used. That handbrake fusion may be was due to some residue rust but it's an easy fix.
I usually do, gear only on flat surface( because of rust), gear and hand brake on a slope, forward or reverse does not matter. I have this habit of using clutch and brake before turning on the ignition.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th October 2020 at 12:20. Reason: spacing in quoted post for improved readability
Old 12th October 2020, 18:03   #31767

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
yeah, even i was not able to visualize how exactly this accident must have happened? I read the article twice, but still I am unable to understand!
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...or-and-a-tree/

Link to the video
Old 12th October 2020, 18:22   #31768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post

I follow now gear only parking, reason being I had my car wheels jammed due to hand brake after I used the car in heavy rain and parking the car for 2 weeks. My internet search brought me to Team bhp, as advised in one of the thread I removed the jammed rear wheel had light hit on the drum with a hammer, that released the wheel. From then on I never engage the hand brake.
I'm British: I'm very used to rain

Yes, that happens. Usually it just sticks for a moment, and gives a slight jerk as the engine torque overcomes the stick. This is no reason to not use normally use the handbrake for its purpose.

This is my procedural order:

1. flat/normal slope/well-adjusted brake cable: Handbrake only.

2. steeper slope/badly-adjusted cable: Handbrake. Point front wheels so they quickly drop back onto curb in case of failure.

3. No curb but conditions need backup to brake: Handbrake, then put car in gear.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th October 2020 at 18:23.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 20:47   #31769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
The lady must have kept one leg far inside the car on the clutch and pressed the self start button. Given that the gear was engaged in reverse(thanks to the idiot who parked it thus) the car must have lunged backward and possibly over the small stopper stone. That would explain why the girl had no time to extricate her leg out and was squashed between the car and tree. Even on an incline it is ridiculous to park the car in reverse. Rather a 45 degree turn of the steering is advisable to keep the car hit a kerb instead of tumbling down the road. Avoidable loss of life
Why would someone do such a weird, unsafe and difficult manouver? Isn’t it much easier to sit inside the car in comfort and safety rather than stand outside and put your leg in the car?
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 21:46   #31770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramesh View Post
Is that how a manual transmission car with keyless ignition works? While the car is in gear, if one presses the start button the car moves in whatever gear it was in. Auto or manual, how can one start a car in gear without pressing the brake pedal?

Could she be turning the car on for the AC to be primed to the perfect temperature? I had a cousin who would go turn on the AC 15 minutes before she took her child inside the car. Insane pampering aside, that could be one reason, a person would not enter the car, but wants to start the car and leave.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th October 2020 at 12:18. Reason: spacing for improved readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks