Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 12:10   #31921
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Leason learned.
Don't think you are GOD and can control everything. If you feel sleepy better take a gap / rest and continue.
Once I was driving for 18 hours straight, on return from 8 day long car trip. It was 3 AM and I was still behind the wheel. I was clearly exhausted. I did take a break. I slept entire day before continuing the journey.

But, for next couple of months I had kind of phobia while driving in dark. I was little too scared that I'd fall asleep behind the wheel even when it's just 7/8 PM. I've learnt my lesson in a different way.
akshye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 16:43   #31922
Senior - BHPian

Seems like the merc collided with the indicab near Q-Mart. I hope officials don't add more rumble strips or speed breakers in that area as a result of this. Although several crashes have occurred in this area, I feel it is more the fault of drivers who do not understand weight shift and which gear to be in, rather than the road actually being dangerous. I hope they spare this stretch of road from any speedbreakers or poorly made rumble strips
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 06:38   #31923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
HYDERABAD: A speeding Mercedes Benz rammed into Tata Indica cab and two persons sitting in the 2nd row of the Indica cab were severely injured in the accident. The incident took place in Road no 3, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad.
What's with killer German luxury cars, drunken drivers and Hyderabad? Seems to be of much more higher instances than other metro cities just by the number of news reports.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:33   #31924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
The news article also mentions a mother and infant who passed away in a separate accident. They were sitting up front when the father slept and slammed the car into a lorry. Really underlines the need for car seats to be a required feature.
Spaced Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 14:24   #31925
Senior - BHPian

Typical sight on narrow streets of many cities with parked cars, potholes, manholes, rocks that obscure visibility and make navigation challenging.

It looks comical to see the biker fall down in an attempt to stop, but without a helmet he could have still ended up with serious injuries.
The kids cycling don't have helmets too and an actual accident could have been more dangerous.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 17:06   #31926
Senior - BHPian

er what was the need for him to panic like that and lose control? and i don't understand the arrows...oh well i don't bike maybe that's why
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 17:30   #31927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
er what was the need for him to panic like that and lose control? and i don't understand the arrows...oh well i don't bike maybe that's why
Actually he could easily have stopped (assuming his bike's brakes were in decent shape). However there could be two reasons combined that can explain why he chose to fall:

Firstly bikes are very different from cars in terms of traction and stability when changing direction or while braking. In this instance, braking to a halt before the i20 on the left's nose (chose this point as it is best to assume worst case scenario where the kid takes a wide enough turn that he ends up in a head-on situation) would create nosedive; same as it would have done in a car however because there is only one wheel on the front, that combined with the suddenly reduced wheelbase makes the bike more unstable as its center of gravity shifts. There are ways to overcome or adapt to this and that brings me to the second reason why he probably chose to fall. Being a cruiser bike, while the rider is technically cruising far comfortably than he might have been on a sportbike, the rider triangle (hip-hands-feet) on his bike would mean that he is not comfortably going to be able to move his body in order aid grip and stability on the front tyre. He could, but if caught off guard, he likely wouldn't. I feel bad for the chap to be honest.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 25th November 2020 at 17:35.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 18:18   #31928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
er what was the need for him to panic like that and lose control? and i don't understand the arrows...
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Typical sight on narrow streets of many cities with parked cars, potholes, manholes, rocks that obscure visibility and make navigation challenging.
https://Youtu.be/4ixywAQnQlU
It looks comical to see the biker fall down in an attempt to stop, but without a helmet he could have still ended up with serious injuries.
The kids cycling don't have helmets too and an actual accident could have been more dangerous.
That's pretty dumb driving on the biker's side. Seems like his thoughts were elsewhere and he just panic-ied when he saw the cyclists; although speed wasn't that fast, there was just enough space for the cyclists and bike to pass through.

The video with the arrows and voiceover 'explanation' is quite comical though. And no, sorry, but video games are much tougher, so that logic doesn't apply
Old 25th November 2020, 18:33   #31929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
They were sitting up front when the father slept and slammed the car into a lorry. Really underlines the need for car seats to be a required feature.
It is also important to take rest. Apparently the driver was driving throughout the night.

There is a personal account on fatigue on the last page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Lesson learned.
Don't think you are GOD and can control everything. If you feel sleepy better take a gap / rest and continue.
Old 26th November 2020, 09:46   #31930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What happens in Alberta should stay in Alberta! .

In pedantic mode, I don't even agree with hand-over-hand steering. Each hand remains on its own side.
Absolutely - in fact in cars with airbags, it is now recommended to hold a 9-3 or 8-4 position. The latter is more safer, though not very comfortable for many.

The traditional 10-2 position is strongly discouraged because, in the event of an airbag deployment, the force of it opening can cause serious injury to the arms. The same thing goes for hands crossing over/etc.

Each hand should remain on its own side and should not in any way come in the middle of the steering assembly also.

Alberta should update their guidelines!
haria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 18:45   #31931
Distinguished - BHPian

That's interesting, and some new stuff to think about for me as I don't think airbags existed when I was taught to steer. Thanks for that perspective.
Old 26th November 2020, 19:20   #31932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
What's with killer German luxury cars, drunken drivers and Hyderabad? Seems to be of much more higher instances than other metro cities just by the number of news reports.
Not just German cars, even Italian cars are involved in accidents these days, remember the Ferrari gtc4 lusso accident killing a pedestrian in Hyderabad last month? In general after covid lockdown, I see many people (not just cars, even bikes, autos, trucks) driving recklessly on roads, looks like they are competing for their death with accident vs covid

I've seen an increase in bad driving habits (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em), impatient and reckless drivers these days. During those few months of lock down, I think road users lost their intuition, driving sense and compassion for fellow road users.
Old 26th November 2020, 19:21   #31933
Senior - BHPian

Assam: 6 of marriage party killed, 2 injured in road mishap on National Highway-37 in Dibrugarh

Quote:
Officer-in-charge of Borbaruah police station Gaurav Chutia said, “The accident took place at around 5.45 am when a Bolero vehicle was returning from a marriage party at Dhemaji.”

“The vehicle hit a trailer parked at Lepetkata area,” the police officer said.

“We suspect that the accident took place due to heavy fog as the driver couldn’t see the parked trailer,” Chutia said.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-da.jpg  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 22:32   #31934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We suspect that the accident took place due to heavy fog as the driver couldn’t see the parked trailer,”
How to get rid of this thought process? Seems hopeless.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 22:40   #31935
BHPian

There needs to be stringent checking for working rear lights on trailers. Reflective stickers, LED lights etc are absolutely needed on parked vehicles. Many years ago, the police checked all cars for reflective stickers over the number plate. That has disappeared, but should be made mandatory for all vehicles at least during the winter months in areas where there is a lot of fog.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks