Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2021, 21:06   #32476
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Modern bumpers are held by plastic clips which breaks away on moderate force. They are considered as a replaceable part by manufacturers and are designed that way.
17k for a part that's designed to be held with breakaway clips is pretty steep. I guess a bit of denting/ painting and some new clips should suffice to bring the bumpers back to normal.
Old 28th February 2021, 21:54   #32477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanwithk750 View Post
17k for a part that's designed to be held with breakaway clips is pretty steep. I guess a bit of denting/ painting and some new clips should suffice to bring the bumpers back to normal.
Most often than not the A.S.S advisor recommends changing the entire bumper and adds in additional accessories for lining up their pockets. As a thumb rule unless my bumper is torn in two I just ask them to add some new clips or tie it up jugaad way
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 14:56   #32478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Also why does the repair cost 17000? I got mine fixed for 300 rupees.
The damage was more as the entire bumper was torn off along with the grille. One of the fog lamps is damaged. The electrical connectors to the fog lamps are also damaged.
17K is the estimate and I am sure it will be lower. Since we have zero dep insurance, availing insurance was a no brainer.
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:33   #32479
Senior - BHPian

This incident happened in Gachibowli a few days ago.
Busy traffic junction, jaywalking and a careless car driver.
It looks like the pedestrian had significant leg injury - not that the accident happened at a slow speed. This highlights the fact that in any accident, the pedestrian suffers the most.
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:40   #32480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
It looks like the pedestrian had significant leg injury - not that the accident happened at a slow speed. This highlights the fact that in any accident, the pedestrian suffers the most.

I completely agree that the pedestrian suffers the most. But they are also the most careless users of the road.

This is the same junction. I recorded this on my dashcam couple of years back.

Today, there are zebra crossings available on the road.
But this walk to the roundabout and cross the road still exists.

bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:21   #32481
BHPian

Quote:
The uncle with a pot belly was next, the Splendor guy was looking at the accident and missed the uncle by a feet or two.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:31   #32482
BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/z827ZGmZCvo
This may not necessarily be a careless driver. The pedestrian could be in the blind spot of the car - due to a thick A-Pillar of Tata's. I personally have been a culprit to bad visuals due to A-Pillar blind spots - thankfully I've never had any incident.
akshye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:16   #32483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
This may not necessarily be a careless driver. The pedestrian could be in the blind spot of the car - due to a thick A-Pillar of Tata's. I personally have been a culprit to bad visuals due to A-Pillar blind spots - thankfully I've never had any incident.
I've had a close shave too. It taught me to make sure that I don't ever hit anyone coming in that space.

How to see the places we can't easily see? Plainly, not easy, but it is the driver's responsibility.

Revisiting one of my dad's legendary driving lessons...

"When does a pedestrian have right of way?"

I waffled on about UK Highway-Code examples, none of which was wrong, but none of which satisfied him. Eventually, he gave me his answer:

Always. You are not allowed to run over them.

Lessons with a smile. But it is a deadly serious lesson.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:52   #32484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Always. You are not allowed to run over them.

Lessons with a smile. But it is a deadly serious lesson.
Good lesson; but I've a feeling that it may be more apt for UK. If I apply that in India on any one way road without honking, may be I won't reach the destination on time. Nobody would move!
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:28   #32485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
... If I apply that in India on any one way road without honking, may be I won't reach the destination on time. Nobody would move!
Honk away! We have bad drivers, we have bad pedestrians. Some of them don't seem to want to stay alive, but we are still not entitled to oblige their wish
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 07:32   #32486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Honk away! We have bad drivers, we have bad pedestrians. Some of them don't seem to want to stay alive, but we are still not entitled to oblige their wish
The pedestrians at that crossing look like strollers in a park!!! So many of them zig zagging all over the road like it's a fun parade. At times with the Team BHP sticker on the car I feel guilty to honk. But THIS lot would be exception scenario for their sheer stupidity and devil-may-care attitude. I don't see any subway or overbridge for pedestrians... shameful attitude from Authorities as usual.
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 09:15   #32487
BHPian

Found this video of an obliterated i10 nios with both female occupants dead. Feeling sad as I own the exact same car.

Was just surfing through youtube to find modifications and accessories people have installed on their i10 NIOS and came across this video.

Our of mixed emotions, went deeper to see other crashed i10 nios and found some peace of mind as none was as bad as this

Here's another one

(I don't understand hindi but in one video they mentioned the scooty caused the accident and in another one, a maruti zen)

Looking by the videos, the 2 stars(almost 3) of the i10 NIOS is evident. Not too safe, but had adequate structural integrity for low-medium speed crashes
Old 5th March 2021, 10:10   #32488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
A speeding biker hit my brother's car yesterday.

Had to tow the car to the service centre, cost of repairs will be around 17K.

Luckily the entire accident was captured on the dash cam.
They are very lucky not to have lost control and hit the high kerbs on either side or landed on the iron railings. Good you had that dashcam.
Old 5th March 2021, 11:22   #32489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravansp24 View Post
Found this video of an obliterated i10 nios with both female occupants dead. Feeling sad as I own the exact same car.
Looking at the roof, I would suspect the roof was ripped out either to rescue the victims or to extract the car out from under the truck. I could see long scratch marks on the roof, most likely caused by the truck's rear portion.

Also when looking at such content that uses images or videos from absolutely any source without any sort of evidence, I would tend to add a generous amount of salt to the whole account.

Again, the driver is probably the best safety tool.
honeybee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 12:12   #32490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
This incident has the whole "Maruti crumple zone" vibe to it and I don't want to get into a flame war.

You are right. I did not mean to insinuate that the biker should have come to any harm in my original reply.
You seem to have missed the structural cross beams that are in full view as a result of the bumper falling off the Honda City. This isnt a 'fragile' car at all.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks