Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2021, 21:14   #32596
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Viewer discretion advised.

A very shocking accident happened at Srikakulam Toll Plaza. It irks me when basics are not followed while driving These people should be banned from driving for life and imprisoned.

vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 23:43   #32597
BHPian

Saw this pic floating around. Looks like the new Swift. Does anyone know any details? T-boned maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-clp2bd5l66r61.jpg  

Old 5th April 2021, 00:10   #32598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
Reckless biker caused a collision, drivers of both the trucks and a cleaner are injured.

https://Youtu.be/XuAZbyQhEOs
I shudder to think, what would have been the outcome, if the other carriageway had private cars instead of a truck to absorb the momentum of that sliding dumper? Highway travel, sadly, in our country has been reduced to a game of Russian roulette.

Good to know that the biker has been arrested - I bet they would find more than 1 offence here. High probability he won't have a valid insurance/PUC or who knows, maybe even a license.
Old 5th April 2021, 10:29   #32599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
Saw this pic floating around. Looks like the new Swift. Does anyone know any details? T-boned maybe?
Got some more pics via Whatsapp. Looks like it happened in Kasarkod.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_202104051016072.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_202104051016162.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_202104051016442.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_202104051017492.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_202104051018062.jpg

Whatsapp university says that a head on collision with the Mobilio sent the Swift off the road.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 10:53   #32600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Whatsapp university says that a head on collision with the Mobilio sent the Swift off the road.
What about casualties?
Old 5th April 2021, 11:06   #32601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car plates have a Kasargod dealer's sticker on them. So which of the two cars was driving on the wrong side, or is this a single / undivided road?
Old 5th April 2021, 11:43   #32602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about casualties?
As per a report in Mathrubhumi - no casualties, but a total of 7 people (incl. 2 children) are injured; one of them seriously.
Old 5th April 2021, 11:45   #32603
BHPian

Quote:
The stark difference in the condition of the Swift and Mobilio after the crash is intriguing me a lot.
Hemi6.2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:05   #32604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi6.2 View Post
The stark difference in the condition of the Swift and Mobilio after the crash is intriguing me a lot.
I'm reading comments of people bashing the build quality of Swift, but I'm not really sure if I should join the chorus or just be glad that crumple zones of the Swift absorbed the crash energy. Also the airbags deployed correctly.

Mobilio fared better obviously, but looking at he debris, I'm mostly sure it suffered a head-on crash whilst Swift got slammed diagonally.
stallmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:23   #32605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....or just be glad that crumple zones of the ... absorbed the crash energy. Also the airbags deployed correctly.
It is not good to do brand bashing. Just want to point to a couple of observations if it ultimately helps by improving the safety cage strength of the product and more awareness of the need to wear seat belts.

Both the cars have been hit at their front offsets.
In case of the Mobilio, the passenger cage has held well. But unfortunately, the front passenger of the Mobilio was not wearing a seat belt and his/her head has banged into the front windshield and shattered it. Would have ended up seriously injured because of not wearing seat belt even though the Mobilio's passenger cage held well.

In the Swift's case, apart from the (desirable) crumpled front, the A-pillar has deformed considerably and there is intrusion into passenger cage which would have given less survivable space for the front passenger and put him/her at serious risk even if they were wearing a seat belt.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 5th April 2021 at 12:33.
for_cars1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:29   #32606
BHPian

Not going to comment on build quality of either vehicles. A lot have been said about the same. It's pointless to repeat without knowledge of how the accident happened.

One look at the Mobilio's windshield and it's clear that the occupant didn't buckle up and hit the windshield. I won't be surprised if he/she suffered worse compared to the ones in Swift. Airbags/No airbags, Stable/Unstable shell, 0*/5*, nothing is going to matter if you don't buckle up. Period.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:04   #32607
Senior - BHPian

Off-topic observation, it feels there has been a significant increase in the number of head on collisions.

Any thoughts? Lack of highway driving experience? Avoiding public transport for travel (due to pandemic)?
Old 5th April 2021, 20:07   #32608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Off-topic observation, it feels there has been a significant increase in the number of head on collisions.
..Avoiding public transport for travel (due to pandemic)?
It has been always there. I guess it is lesser now in COVID times due to lesser travels. You could notice that even the traffic in this very particular thread is relatively lesser compared to how it used to be earlier.

Here is another one. I cannot count how many number of similar accidents have happened and claimed several lives in this stretch - Nelamangala area.

For those you do not know, this is the last portion of the Mangalore - Bangalore NH and only few minutes to enter into the city, but still a high speed 4/6 lane highway with lots of heavy vehicle traffic. One must have been exhausted driving through 8-10 hours all night to get here (if an overnight drive) and tend to just stretch himself to reach Bangalore rather taking a last minute stop. If you sleep off, all it takes is a moment to jump the divider or rear end some vehicle. And in 99% of the cases the other vehicle will be a truck or another heavy vehicle for some reason.

Sad for this particular family, as it involved a newly married bride who passed away.

Quote:
https://www.daijiworld.com/news/news...?newsID=820112

Bengaluru, Apr 3: In an accident that occurred on the morning of Saturday April 3, at Nelamangala of Bengaluru city between a truck that was transporting poultry and a Wagon R car, a newly married woman from the taluk lost her life. Three others in the car are seriously injured.

Marriage of Gopik, son of Saivtha Udaya Kumar Naik, resident of Darandakukku and Dhanusha, daughter of Roopa and Padmanabha Shetty, residents of Beltangady Gerukatte Kuntini had taken place on February 21 at Guruvayanakere Buntara Bhavana. The newly married couple were on the way to Bengaluru to take part in a programme that was scheduled to be held in their relative's house in Bengaluru on April 3, along with their aunt Shubhalaxmi and Roopa Venugopal.

As the Wagon R car reached Nelamangala on the outskirts of Bengaluru on the early morning of Saturday, it collided head on with a truck transporting chicken and got mangled. Dhanusha, wife of Gopik, died on the spot. Gopik and other relatives are grievously injured.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nelm.jpg
pc: https://kan.newsnext.live/nelamangal...d-bride-death/

A couple of weeks back I was doing this same stretch and felt very drowsy. I pulled over before the Nelamangala toll booth (the last of the toll in this stretch) and took a quick nap. All it took was 20 minutes of a power nap. Incidents like these just re-enforces the need of taking such breaks no matter how close you are to reach your destination.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 23:57   #32609
BHPian

Has this one been posted here before? I couldn't find it using search.

JithinR is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 00:20   #32610
BHPian

Hello forum members. I've posted a few times in these threads, never thought I'd be posting my own pictures. I was involved in an accident today, got rear ended by a police mini truck/van. Apparently the brakes of the vehicle failed and they hit us at quite a speed. We'd braked because there was work going on the road and the vehicles in front of us stopped.

The driver and the policemen were extremely courteous and apologetic. They were in good numbers but did not try to bully and readily offered to cover up the damage costs. Gave me a phone number and offered to help. The policemen behaved really, really well. (Haryana police)

The one thing that bums me as a service class person who bears a significant burden of tax, that we can't even be safe from public vehicles. Their lack of road fitness, as ironic as it is, is extremely dangerous and the least we expect is for state agents to not go around ramming into vehicles due to poor upkeep.

Another mention - the value of well built cars and wearing seat belts. Everybody including the rear passenger were wearing a seatbelt and apart from a little neck stiffness, nobody suffered any injuries. The Ritz is a heavy and well built car, rare for a Maruti, and it proved itself well today. You can see the damage on the front of the truck as well. Many people in this thread have said safety depends on the driver - my father was the one driving, and this one he could've done absolutely nothing about. Absolutely nothing.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pxl_20210405_1209571602.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pxl_20210405_1210044742.jpg

Last edited by RoadMonkey : 6th April 2021 at 00:23.
RoadMonkey is offline   (45) Thanks

Most Viewed