Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2021, 20:37   #32701
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Yes indeed i missed honking there. Should have been more careful. But in my defense i will say, the pickup was stationary on road side, near a tea shop. So i might have thought of no unnecessary honking (can't really recall what was in my mind that time).
Indian roads are all about anticipating where others on the road could go wrong. Better to be pessimistic and be safe
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 08:28   #32702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two vehicles were parked parallel to each other near a small tea shop. Both were stopped in road itself. So thinking of parking it in front(their), but on the side of road, approached the vehicles and took a sharp turn. But as i turned, the vehicle nearer to me started moving and it's front guard hit my left rear quarter panel damaging it. So whose fault is it. Was i too casual there or is it the driver of the pickup.
Therein, you have answered your question. A better approach would have been to either park behind them or move up further ahead and back up. This would have either avoided the situation altogether or given the driver ample time to realize your move. Double parking is a bad move, indeed. And not checking for traffic or having his blinkers on.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 09:30   #32703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Jaywalking + Biker on a high speed = Disaster
Classic case of target fixation, the biker could have easily veered around the pedestrian, there was plenty of room. It is very difficult to aviod target fixation, in panic we tend concentrate on the target.
ecenandu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 09:57   #32704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So whose fault is it. Was i too casual there or is it the driver of the pickup.
More or less your fault, sorry to say.

The pick up driver would least expect a scenario like that there, even if he must have seen you in his ORVM, little would he know that you would cut across him like that, unless you gave a warning by honking (not scraping ).

That was too close a cut you took there and could have been simply avoided.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 17:28   #32705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Classic case of target fixation, the biker could have easily veered around the pedestrian, there was plenty of room. It is very difficult to aviod target fixation, in panic we tend concentrate on the target.
Before you can have target fixation, you have to look at the target. I see these guys almost run over the toes of people crossing the road, even when other traffic has stopped. Not looking or caring is more likely.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 19:17   #32706
BHPian

I had gone to get my car serviced at Kaikan Ford in Chetla, Kolkata. The particular area where the Service Center is located, has a bunch of other Service Centers, like Hyundai - which is right next to the Ford SC. After my car was jacked up, I was roaming around the area since I didn't want to be cooped up indoors with recirculated AC air blasting on my face, in these Covid times. Just outside the Hyundai Service Center, I saw a badly damaged i20, the picture of which I am attaching. For the life of me, I could not figure out what could cause such damage. It kept giving me the vibes of being mauled by some wild animal.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20210419-7.14.12-pm.jpeg

Can anyone figure out how this accident might have happened?
ChiragBasu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 20:04   #32707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragBasu View Post
For the life of me, I could not figure out what could cause such damage. It kept giving me the vibes of being mauled by some wild animal.
Can anyone figure out how this accident might have happened?
Maybe by an earthmover from any construction site or elsewhere!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-71fjm36upl._sl1500_.jpg
Image source- Google.

Last edited by Samba : 19th April 2021 at 20:06.
Samba is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 20:14   #32708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Maybe by an earthmover from any construction site or elsewhere!
Yes, that may well be the case. Still don't know how that would happen, unless deliberate. I am very amused by this car, but also very sympathetic for the owner. :P

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th April 2021 at 09:12. Reason: Fixing quote tags
Old 19th April 2021, 20:47   #32709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragBasu View Post
Yes, that may well be the case. Still don't know how that would happen, unless deliberate.
No need to be deliberate!

A bit of miss calculation can lead to something similar!

Watch this video from 50 secs! That's me driving my car in Bhutan! I was safe, this guy maybe unlucky!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th April 2021 at 09:13. Reason: Fixing quote tags
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 20:52   #32710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
No need to be deliberate!

A bit of miss calculation can lead to something similar!

Watch this video from 50 secs! That's me driving my car in Bhutan! I was safe, this guy maybe unlucky!
Wow that was a stroke of luck! On a different note, I loved your dad's confidence when he says "If the car in front of you has gone, then you'll also be able to cross". :P

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th April 2021 at 09:13. Reason: Fixing quote tags
ChiragBasu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 11:28   #32711
BHPian

Quote:
Thought of having a cup of tea at around 7.30 AM and it proved to be a wrong move.

Was i too casual there or is it the driver of the pickup.

https://Youtu.be/s-bKhJGPOsg
Well yes you were casual but I can understand wanting to park ahead of the two boleros to get a clean start when you are done. The one parked right on the left lane is clearly wrong for double parking. He should have parked either in front or behind the other one.

In such situations whenever I have to pullover in front of parked vehicles, I always assume that the parked vehicle is going to pull out abruptly and thus keep an eye on it and also give sufficient space for me and the vehicle to avoid such a collision.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 11:58   #32712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
In such situations whenever I have to pullover in front of parked vehicles, I always assume that the parked vehicle is going to pull out abruptly and thus keep an eye on it and also give sufficient space for me and the vehicle to avoid such a collision.
Defensive driving 101. Always assume that you are surrounded by morons (more often than not it is the case). Will help avoid a lot of messes.
Old 22nd April 2021, 08:22   #32713
Senior - BHPian

Bunch of suggestions from Madras HC to reduce road accidents:

https://in.news.yahoo.com/fix-speed-...134053701.html

Most, I believe are positive and workable. But there is also the odd suggestion like the headlined one.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:23   #32714
BHPian

I had minor accidents last month while travelling to southern A.P from Bangalore. This was just after Mulbagal Tollgate. The feel is I was hit by lighting (smile), no not really. I was accelerating after paying toll in the right most lane a dog jumps right in front of my car, probably less than a couple of meters distance from car, no time to react even. Another factor that did not help was, bushes on the median. Without those bushes I could have spotted the animal earlier and hopefully would have been less.

I am lighter by 8K now. Was worried if it would end up being another bumper replacement. Luckily no.

Bumper refitted. Plastic lining behind bumper replaced. Windshield fluid tank replaced. RHS fog lamp assembly and plastic cover replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210303wa0020.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210303wa0022.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210303wa0025.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210303wa0027.jpg  

Last edited by sreenivass : 23rd April 2021 at 19:26.
sreenivass is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 05:39   #32715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Another factor that did not help was, bushes on the median. Without those bushes I could have spotted the animal earlier and hopefully would have been less.
The bushes on the median help block the glare of high beams from oncoming traffic during night time. The best solution is to stick to the middle lane given there are no vehicles that need to overtake you as this will give you space on both the left and right to use incase something or someone darts out in front of you
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks