Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2021, 16:36   #32731
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
The same applies to the cars as well, right? Always look away from the target, look where you intend to go.
I have doubts. The only things I have ever hit (with a car) were in the place I should have been looking and wasn't.

We should pay a great deal of attention to someone who is on the road ahead of us. We should also slow down, and give them the maximum space possible. In the accident that begun this particular discussion there was a huge amount of road space for the biker to take, That person ahead can go forward, backwards, or even fall over! Give them space. And still take care: they might even run into the space you gave them
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 00:44   #32732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragBasu View Post

Attachment 2146256

Can anyone figure out how this accident might have happened?
No wild animal or innocent earthmover, this is the aftermath of the lug nuts of a Truck making contact while still moving, I was in a friend's Santro many years ago at a stoplight when this exact thing happened to his front fender!!
Edmund is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 09:33   #32733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have doubts. The only things I have ever hit (with a car) were in the place I should have been looking and wasn't.
Yes, true. In the contexts you stated above the driver should have an overall awarness of the surroundings.

But, at high speeds, one has to look at the intended direction rather than the target/obstacle. In my recreational and amateur karting races, the above technique has helped me avoid plenty of accidents.
Old 27th April 2021, 22:37   #32734
BHPian

Quote:
The bike rider could have been fresh on the bike. He had ample time to slow down had he seen the lady. It appears like he was surprised when she appeared in front of him.

I had a moose suddenly appear in from of me. It happened so fast and it was counter steering that saved me. I had only 30 or 40 meters to react and I passed safely behind it.

I practice counter steering in the spring. To turn right you push the handlebar to the left and vice versa.

Looking far ahead is a good habit. That way you see the obstacles and dangers in front of you and you will brake less and it will give you a chance to take evasive stem to avoid an accident. I have avoided many dangers that way.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 20:01   #32735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
The bike rider could have been fresh on the bike. He had ample time to slow down had he seen the lady. It appears like he was surprised when she appeared in front of him.

I had a moose suddenly appear in from of me. It happened so fast and it was counter steering that saved me. I had only 30 or 40 meters to react and I passed safely behind it.

I practice counter steering in the spring. To turn right you push the handlebar to the left and vice versa.
Could you explain how this "counter steering" works sir.
I'm not able to understand .

OT: Doc Hudson said the same thing :P
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 20:18   #32736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Could you explain how this "counter steering" works sir.
I'm not able to understand .

OT: Doc Hudson said the same thing :P
Try this on a road without traffic since it will be your first time. Lets say you are riding on a straight stretch and the road curves to the right. As you are about to lean over to the right, push the right handlebar slightly to the left and lean over to the right. Dont overdo this in the begining. We are taliking about millimeters to a centimeter to start with.

Take it easy at first. Never do this on a left curve before you master the technique because you risk crashing head on if you miss or panic.

As you practice the technique will become automatic. Counter steering is quick and you can take sharper corners. As you get more confidence you will manage to do it safely at high speeds.

Counter steering is what they use at race tracks for corners at high speeds. Who is Doc Hudson?

Last edited by Indian2003 : 28th April 2021 at 20:23.
Old 28th April 2021, 20:22   #32737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Try this on a road without traffic since it will be your first time. Lets say you are riding on a straight stretch and the road curves to the right. As you are about to lean over to the right, push the right handlebar slightly to the left and lean over to the right. Dont overdo this in the begining. We are taliking about millimeters to a centimeter to start with.
I've done that as a kid on my cycle. It helps lean heavily to the right, but high chances of a fall. I think I fell down everytime. I read about this imbalance(steering opposite to lean direction) in some physics book and went and tried it. But is this heavy lean what will help turn right?

Quote:
Counter steering is what the use at race tracks for corners at high speeds. Who is Doc Hudson?
Fictional character from Disney's Cars movie. Teaches the protagonist how to drift.

Last edited by viXit : 28th April 2021 at 20:24.
Old 29th April 2021, 19:33   #32738
BHPian

Everyone countersteers a 2 wheeler to turn, that's how bikes work. Turning a 2 wheeler left is an act of turning the bars right a bit to get the bike to start falling left, then catch it by turning the steering left. Most people do it automatically and quite gently.

One can do it aggressively for a fast and precise turn-in. Can result in a crash if you overdo it. Especially if you are riding a lighter vehicle after being used to a heavy one.
braindead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 02:23   #32739
Senior - BHPian

Jaywalking + Speeding Bike = Disaster.

All survived. Self safety should be most important.

https://telanganatoday.com/hyderabad...ed-in-accident

Jeedimetla, Hyderabad.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 30th April 2021 at 02:28.
tanwaramit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 16:38   #32740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
Reckless biker caused a collision, drivers of both the trucks and a cleaner are injured.

https://Youtu.be/XuAZbyQhEOs
Yet another reckless biker caused this mishap. Luckily the auto driver survived the crash. If not the CCTV footage available, am sure the bus driver would have been blamed!

jeganatu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 17:11   #32741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Jaywalking + Speeding Bike = Disaster.
All survived. Self safety should be most important.
Surely guy on the bike could have avoided speeding, but man, hope Jaywalking is treated as an offence as good as speeding!

Have seen plenty of such idiots who think they are invincible, worst are unattended kids on main roads
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 18:02   #32742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
... hope Jaywalking is treated as an offence as good as speeding!
I think that jaywalking is an offence in USA (all states? I don't know). It is not (when I last looked) an offence in UK law, and I suspect that it is not in Indian law. Confirmation/correction, anybody?
Old 1st May 2021, 19:14   #32743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Surely guy on the bike could have avoided speeding, but man, hope Jaywalking is treated as an offence as good as speeding!

Have seen plenty of such idiots who think they are invincible, worst are unattended kids on main roads
If they make overhead bridges and pedestrian crossings, people would not need to run across the streets. There would be a problem though to get people to break the habit of running over roads.
Old 1st May 2021, 20:33   #32744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I suspect that it is not in Indian law. Confirmation/correction, anybody?
In Bangalore, the traffic police were regularly updating their social media page with laws around Jaywalking. In fact much before Social media presence, they had successfullly penalized quite a few too.

In Bangalore, jaywalking could land you in jail

And it's a law in India too:

Quote:
Those caught jaywalking — punishable under section 33 (b) of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988-— will be fined Rs 100. Anyone who refuses to pay up will be detained at the nearest traffic police chowky.
Source : Hindustan Times

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st May 2021 at 20:35.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 21:44   #32745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not (when I last looked) an offence in UK law, and I suspect that it is not in Indian law.
This was my impression too - that jaywalking is a crime invented in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And it's a law in India too:

Quote:
Those caught jaywalking — punishable under section 33 (b) of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988-— will be fined Rs 100. Anyone who refuses to pay up will be detained at the nearest traffic police chowky.
Source : Hindustan Times
Section 33 of Motor Vehicles Act 1988 seems to deal with the options available to people who have had their conductor license revoked.

https://www.advocatekhoj.com/library...s/motor/33.php
binand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks