Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2021, 10:38   #32806
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Wow, the TUV seemed to be at a very high speed, having lost control and drifting towards the Fortuner which was driven by a lady. That shock is going to be with her for a very long time. All the jay walkers also were saved by a few seconds, else it would been a catastrophe.
Maverick5490 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 10:43   #32807
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I'm sorry, didn't know it got taken down (which is suspicious in and of itself). The video was made available by the Cyberabad police.

In any case, the video showed a 4 lane divided highway. There was a long break in the median where the CCTV camera was focused. A white Fortuner comes toward the camera at legal speeds and within its lane - quite disciplined. For some reason it begins swerving a bit to its left and a red TUV 300 presently veers into its path via the break in the median and strikes its front right headlamp area at a very high speed. The Fortuner almost capsizes to its left but lands on its wheels. A visibly dazed and hurt lady ambles out from behind the Fortuner's steering wheel and sits down by the roadside. Both cars took the brunt of the crash well, with neither cabin getting impacted. No one died.
Thanks a lot for the accurate description.

Quote:
Thank you for sharing the video.

I feel sorry for the poor lady driving the Fortuner. She clearly hit her head hard on the B-pillar of the vehicle when the vehicle nearly rolled over (AFAIK, this generation of the Fortuner did not come with side airbags). That coupled with the impact of front airbags opening would have dazed and disoriented her massively. Hope she got a proper medical checkup done.

As for the TUV, that guy/girl was lucky as the Fortuner driver braked and swerved away at the last moment. That brake-swerve maneuver ensured that the entire forward momentum of the near 2-ton Fortuner was not transferred directly to almost 400 kg lighter TUV. As it is, the entire crumple zone of the TUV seems to have been used up. Any higher speed or a different angle and the TUV occupants would have been worse off.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 23:32   #32808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is there over here
It seems the driver of the car following the Fortuner saw what was coming and did a good job in avoiding collision. What could be the reason of the TUV3OO driver to be so much off course - busy on mobile or fell asleep at the wheel? Time of the accident as per CCTV timestamp was 9:50 am.
Old 24th May 2021, 23:34   #32809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
All the jay walkers also were saved by a few seconds, else it would been a catastrophe.
The Fortuner definitely saved the guy walking on the right most shoulder. TUV was aiming directly in his direction. Fortuner was God sent intervention for him.

And the driver tailgating the Fortuner surely had better view and good reflexes.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 24th May 2021 at 23:37.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 00:05   #32810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
And the driver tailgating the Fortuner surely had better view and good reflexes.
But did not bother to stop and check on the victims

Not that I am blaming as situation is pretty bad out there and may they did come back, which we do not know. I wish they did.

Looks like TUV was on a suicide mission.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 01:53   #32811
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
I wouldn't exactly call this an accident as the rider here did this intentionally to evade the check post. The pillion rider lost his life instantly!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=jzJk0V_7t5Q
Quote:
As per the news report, this happened at a check post in Mancherial district of Telangana. The biker was speeding as he approached the check post and the cop tried to stop them by pulling down the barrier and waving at them to slow down.

The rider had other ideas and sped beneath the barrier by ducking down, the pillion didn't duck and hit the barrier.

I agree with your point on charging the rider with manslaughter!
It looks like the gate was tied down and not a reflex action by the cop to stop an evader. The cop was in two minds whether to signal the bike to stop or to untie the barrier which he felt could not be done in time. Murder charges nothing less - it makes my blood boil at the sheer callousness of the bike rider.

Last edited by Ragul : 25th May 2021 at 01:54.
Old 25th May 2021, 11:06   #32812
DSY

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

I really didn’t know which other thread to post this on..so moderators please make the necessary amends as required.

The new Mahindra thar 2020 involved in a head on collision with a truck in Bikaner and then again got rear ended by another truck.

Both the driver and the passenger lost their life.

It’s been reported that the Thar was over speeding.

I personally own the same vehicle and was shook after seeing the horrific condition of the vehicle.

Moral of the story is that no matter the safety rating of your vehicle, over-speeding will never spare you.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-f8f08dd6d67044e98ec99c60b89482f1.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-d05fe1bd0cc44ab2bd1d39f9f4b3d28a.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-17c2d9e66ab643c988c197b5f7c38d07.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ea8687e2971243e0bc01a93f17a85826.jpeg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th May 2021 at 14:57. Reason: spacing for improved readability
DSY is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 12:43   #32813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Can someone explain what exactly happened here? Was the rider trying to escape something? He should be charged with manslaughter.
According to this news report, the rider was drunk. It is possible he was trying to avoid getting caught.

Very sad that a life was lost to such a thoughtless action.

From the above mentioned report.

Quote:
“The forest checkpost is present for more than 30 years. The rider drove in a rash and neglegient manner and ducked his head but pillon rider unaware of it hit the rod and fell and died,” he tweeted, adding, “The accused ran away and was caught within 1 hour and he was found to be heavily drunk.” (sic)
Further, the ACP revealed: “And his alcohol content was 131mg. There is no fault of forest guards. Its very heartening to see most of the people realising that police had no fault in this.”
JoeTheWanderer is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 12:51   #32814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
If ducking, at least do that properly - why would you duck backwards when it's clearly not working for you?
I don't think the pillion rider tried to duck backwards. He was hit by the barricade and flipped backwards. He didn't even had chance to do anything.

The stupidity of the driving rider can't be explained by any means.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 16:03   #32815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
The stupidity of the driving rider can't be explained by any means.
The amazing part of the story is that the parents of the dead boy blames the guards. What could the guards have done to prevent a suicide mission? Nothing

Are the parents looking for some compensation and found it easier to get from the government?

When I hitchiked from Malaysia to Europe at 20 years of age, I met my fair share of drunk drivers. I always jumped off or never got into the car.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 16:59   #32816
BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY View Post
The new Mahindra thar 2020 involved in a head on collision ...
Did the accident happen at night? That Thar is black in color - which might have contributed to this accident (if it happened in the dark), apart from the over speeding.

I was eyewitness to such an accident some years back - A black Figo was trying to take a U turn, and was nearly on the middle of the divider-less road when it had to stop due to some obstacle on the road. It was 10PM and deserted road, no street lights (was raining as well), I saw what was happening, slowed down to ~40, but the biker behind me zoomed past and failed to see the Figo in time and crashed into its B pillar. The car was perpendicular to the road and the poor biker probably could see the tiny yellow blinker above the front right wheel only very late.
TT-S is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 00:52   #32817

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly call this an accident as the rider here did this intentionally to evade the check post. The pillion rider lost his life instantly!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=jzJk0V_7t5Q
My 2 cents on this

a) The rider was upto no good and wanted to evade the checkpost. He should be tried and hung for culpable homicide.

b) The accident also brings to the fore safety standards implemented on barricades on highways. Many a time they are dull, non conspicuous metal bars across the road with no reflectors / visual aids. With poor maintenance of highway infrastructure - especially state highways, many barricades are in a deplorable situation - blackened by exposure to exhaust and rusted by exposure to the elements. Lots of times I have been thankful to good Samaritans who have tied ribbons or shiny tape on some of the barricades that have caught my eye in the nick of time on a dark, rainy road.

Will we ever have safety standards that are world class on the ground?
Old 26th May 2021, 03:46   #32818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
The amazing part of the story is that the parents of the dead boy blames the guards. What could the guards have done to prevent a suicide mission? Nothing

Are the parents looking for some compensation ...
Although the bike rider cannot be pardoned to the absolute wrong that he committed, there is a bit of logic in the parents' reasoning.

The guard manning the gate was in a half mind whether to open or close the gate and is seen lowering and half raising the gate. This kind of action by the guard probably prompted the biker to lower his head and attempt a squeeze through (a criminal mistake).

The guard should have absolutely held the gate closed leaving no chance for the biker to even attempt a squeeze through.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 26th May 2021 at 03:47.
for_cars1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 13:42   #32819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Although the bike rider cannot be pardoned to the absolute wrong that he committed, there is a bit of logic in the parents' reasoning.

The guard manning the gate was in a half mind whether to open or close the gate and is seen lowering and half raising the gate. This kind of action by the guard probably prompted the biker to lower his head and attempt a squeeze through (a criminal mistake).

The guard should have absolutely held the gate closed leaving no chance for the biker to even attempt a squeeze through.
The Gate seems to be tied up with Ropes visible at 00:34 part. The Guard did his best to indicate the riders to stop. Even if he was a PC Sorkar it would have been impossible to untie the ropes and release the Gate in time just to let a drunk driver waltz through the Checkpoint. Just thanking God that the drunk driver met his end with a steel pole at a checkpoint instead of hitting some innocent pedestrian or other road user. As for the parents compensation claims first they need to be forced to pay a fine for letting loose such monstrosities of kids into the world.
venbas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 14:47   #32820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
...Just thanking God that the drunk driver met his end with a steel pole at a checkpoint instead of hitting some innocent pedestrian or other road user.
Are we thinking of the same incident (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5068233). The rider of the bike escaped unhurt, it was the pillion who lost his life.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks