Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2021, 11:45   #32986
BHPian
 
DriverR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 410
Thanked: 507 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post

Drunk car driver and horrifying to see the auto rickshaw violently thrown around. Sadly the auto driver lost his life.
A horrifying accident indeed.

Btw, as per the Hyderabad Traffic Police tweet, it was the passenger who died. (Or maybe the auto driver died as well. The accident was certainly brutal.)

https://twitter.com/CYBTRAFFIC/statu...840193547?s=19

Last edited by DriverR : 29th June 2021 at 11:47. Reason: Added additional sentence
DriverR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 12:03   #32987
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,536
Thanked: 4,225 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
A horrifying accident indeed.

Btw, as per the Hyderabad Traffic Police tweet, it was the passenger who died. (Or maybe the auto driver died as well. The accident was certainly brutal.)
Sometimes I feel that medieval punishments of a public nature should be implemented in these situations. Thats the only way to instill fear amongst the people for committing drink and drive offences.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 12:10   #32988
BHPian
 
tazmaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 897
Thanked: 2,305 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Sometimes I feel that medieval punishments of a public nature should be implemented in these situations. Thats the only way to instill fear amongst the people for committing drink and drive offences.
Well its because of such incidents and poor implementation of law and incapable judicial systems that the Public believes in Mob justice.

Our law and order and the mob justice are both wrong and its going from bad to worse. There is no fear amongst the rich and there nothing to lose amongst the mob.
tazmaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 12:32   #32989
Senior - BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 2,334 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
A horrifying accident indeed.

Btw, as per the Hyderabad Traffic Police tweet, it was the passenger who died. (Or maybe the auto driver died as well. The accident was certainly brutal.)

https://twitter.com/CYBTRAFFIC/statu...840193547?s=19
Pics: Accidents in India-capture1.jpg

The CCTV footage has captured the airbag explosion.

A really bad accident, the way autorickshaw was tossed after the impact
ecenandu is offline  
Old 29th June 2021, 14:56   #32990
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: --
Posts: 3,229
Thanked: 5,253 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
https://Youtu.be/v99PFXOVxgg

Drunk car driver and horrifying to see the auto rickshaw violently thrown around. Sadly the auto driver lost his life.
Horrific accident.

To me it appeared as if the right indicator of the auto was on, and he was probably trying to make a right turn at the junction ahead. It would also explain him being ever so slightly in the right most lane, and not completely in the center lane.

If the above is correct, you have a sane person here losing his life for no fault of his. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

The driver of the car should certainly be booked for murder, not just drunk driving.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 14:59   #32991
BHPian
 
DriverR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 410
Thanked: 507 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post

Drunk car driver and horrifying to see the auto rickshaw violently thrown around. Sadly the auto driver lost his life.
Some follow-up update on this incident. The culprits tried to cover up the crime but were caught.

https://www.indiatoday.in/cities/hyd...654-2021-06-29

The father of the Audi driver tried to deflect the police from his son and has been arrested as well.

Quote:
WHAT HAVE POLICE FOUND?
A preliminary probe into the accident revealed reckless speed and drunk driving as the cause of the accident, police said.

The two accused, Sujith and Ashish tried to escape but one of the tyres was punctured after the accident. Sujith and his friend then drove ahead a few meters and parked the Audi.

They removed the number plates and threatened security guards in the area who confronted the two. The two, however, ran away with the number plates.

Later, Sujith’s father Raghunandan Reddy approached the police, saying his driver was behind the accident.

CCTV footage, however, helped police ascertain the identity of the two accused, police said.

Police arrested the father, son and his friend in the case and sent them to judicial custody.

Last edited by DriverR : 29th June 2021 at 15:02. Reason: Added article text
DriverR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 15:32   #32992
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 7,079
Thanked: 13,163 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post

Drunk car driver and horrifying to see the auto rickshaw violently thrown around. Sadly the auto driver lost his life.
Quite a spine chilling accident. Feel sorry for the innocent, lone passenger who was killed. Also, for the injured auto driver doing his duties during odd hours and in inclement weather. Their near and dear ones need to sue the Audi owner for a huge compensation. The competent Accident Claims Tribunal passes orders in such cases quite soon, as compared to other dragging court cases.

As a precaution, slow moving vehicles need to always be at a good distance as much as possible, away from the road divider. This enables the speed demons /morons and law breakers drive recklessly or show their antics as they please on a wider stretch of the road. Here there was a lot of vacant space to the left and the auto driver was nearer to the divider.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 16:36   #32993
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,536
Thanked: 4,225 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Well its because of such incidents and poor implementation of law and incapable judicial systems that the Public believes in Mob justice.

Our law and order and the mob justice are both wrong and its going from bad to worse. There is no fear amongst the rich and there nothing to lose amongst the mob.
No- I am not advocating mob justice. The punishment should be torturous enough to induce fear-and it should be made visible to public. Sounds harsh, but sometimes there is no other way.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 16:36   #32994
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 3,496
Thanked: 6,141 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

As a precaution, slow moving vehicles need to always be at a good distance as much as possible, away from the road divider. This enables the speed demons /morons and law breakers drive recklessly or show their antics as they please on a wider stretch of the road. Here there was a lot of vacant space to the left and the auto driver was nearer to the divider.
I was thinking the same and probably think that the autorickshaw kept to the centre to avoid the pools of water on the left lane.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
To me it appeared as if the right indicator of the auto was on, and he was probably trying to make a right turn at the junction ahead. It would also explain him being ever so slightly in the right most lane, and not completely in the center lane.
I think the auto had its hazards on which makes it more noticeable in the dark and rain.

Last edited by tharian : 29th June 2021 at 16:40.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 16:41   #32995
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,536
Thanked: 4,225 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

For an unsuspecting vehicle or pedestrians no part of the open road is safe from a speeding reckless car driven under influence.This accident reminded me of the Singapore incident in 2015 where a supercar (Ferrari) destroyed an unsuspecting Hyundai Sonata cab at a traffic light. Its a different matter that the Ferrari driver also died in that crash.
fhdowntheline is offline  
Old 29th June 2021, 22:51   #32996
Senior - BHPian
 
airbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
As a precaution, slow moving vehicles need to always be at a good distance as much as possible, away from the road divider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I was thinking the same and probably think that the autorickshaw kept to the centre to avoid the pools of water on the left lane.
I agree, self preservation is the key. Particularly during late night or early morning people using roads should try to keep themselves safe from this kind of lunatics. While chances are still there that one might get hit by a drunken driver anywhere on the road, but probability may be more on the right side.

Horrific accident indeed. May the departed soul rest in peace.

Last edited by airbus : 29th June 2021 at 22:57.
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 23:23   #32997
BHPian
 
AutoNoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NoWhere
Posts: 981
Thanked: 2,649 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Some follow-up update on this incident. The culprits tried to cover up the crime but were caught.

https://www.indiatoday.in/cities/hyd...654-2021-06-29

The father of the Audi driver tried to deflect the police from his son and has been arrested as well.
More details on this horrific incident.

Source : Indian Express

Quote:
“Raghunandan Reddy tried to mislead us, but we have CCTV footage from various places which show that his son Sujit Reddy was driving the car. When we confronted Raghunandan and questioned him strongly, he confessed. After speeding away without stopping, he had asked his son and the other passenger, Ashish Reddy, to hide in a flat. They were returning home from an all-night party when the incident occurred. We have arrested the father as he lied and tried to mislead us,’’ Madhapur Police Station Inspector P Ravindra Prasad said.

They went into hiding as police began an inquiry into the accident.

Prasad added that though Sujit and Ashish were caught 24 hours after the incident, their blood samples were sent for a test to ascertain if they were driving under the influence of alcohol. “We have collected footage from the liquor store as well as statements from eye-witnesses,” he said.
Caught after 24hrs and then tested, the DUI charge won't stand in court as blood alcohol levels would have dropped significantly. So, part of their plan worked.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 01:00   #32998
BHPian
 
Indian2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Skjeberg
Posts: 398
Thanked: 3,202 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Caught after 24hrs and then tested, the DUI charge won't stand in court as blood alcohol levels would have dropped significantly. So, part of their plan worked.
Laws need to be changed. In Europe it does not matter when you are caught. If you leave the scene of an accident with bodily injury or death, you will lose your drivers licence for life. The rest of the charges are added on in court.

For drunk driving it is a 2 years ban if there is no accident. For fleeing, you get a life long ban even if you are not drunk.

Even damaging a parked car and fleeing is enough to lose your licence for 6 months and a fine.
Indian2003 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 01:57   #32999
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 480 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Laws need to be changed. In Europe it does not matter when you are caught. If you leave the scene of an accident with bodily injury or death, you will lose your drivers licence for life. The rest of the charges are added on in court.

For drunk driving it is a 2 years ban if there is no accident. For fleeing, you get a life long ban even if you are not drunk.

Even damaging a parked car and fleeing is enough to lose your licence for 6 months and a fine.
Unfortunately such laws will only trap those that cannot pay bribes or those without political connections here in India. With a pervasive culture of loose implementation and lax attitudes each one of us are susceptible to being guilty of breaking of law in some way or another a few times a month - it just happens unconsciously.

There is a good reason so many westerners quit their society 6 months at a time per year or more to roam APAC countries or find an alternative career and lifestyle - they simply find all the strict rules and enforced order of their own countries too oppressive to deal with an entire year.The oh-so-happy faces of them all over YouTube roaming shirtless and pissing anywhere they feel like in Asian countries are an expression of their feelings of liberation when they get out of their own system.

Last edited by Ragul : 30th June 2021 at 02:01.
Ragul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 08:15   #33000
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 3,223
Thanked: 5,578 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

I wonder if this is the same Madhapur police who bought that a driver was responsible for the Megha Engineering Ferrari GTC4Lusso crash in Madhapur. Seems like the quality of footage scraped from CCTV this time on this rainy night, was much better.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks