Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2021, 11:24   #33091
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I think they were not delivering the car but explaining the functions of the car to the new owner.

If I look at 0:39, the car door is open and the dealer representative is explaining something to the owner. This is when the car starts moving.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-39.jpg

At 0:44, we can see multiple reps running to stop the car. Had it been a delivery, they would have expected the owner to slowly drive the car to ramp and would not have stood around with open doors and suddenly acting surprised.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-44.jpg

It's probably the inexperience of the owner coupled with casual attitude of the agency rep that caused the incident. Still the fault of agency though. Explaining car functions while the car is on 1st floor, engine running and you do not know skill levels of the new owner.
theflyingguy is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 11:30   #33092
BHPian

Who bears the cost in case like this? Is there insurance coverage?
AnandB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 11:42   #33093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguy View Post
I think they were not delivering the car but explaining the functions of the car to the new owner.
It looks like a new delivery. The first post with pictures has the Teeka's near the TATA logo on front bumper along with ribbons on bonnet and door handles.
Old 20th July 2021, 11:49   #33094
Senior - BHPian

Rookie mistake by dealer and owner himself. Never take delivery until car is positioned safely on road for you to drive. Even when I used to go for servicing my cars I would make sure they bring it outside for me so if any issue happens I won't be responsible for it. The upside is no one got injured in this freak accident. Cars will be repaired, lives lost can't.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 13:16   #33095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Some form of Business Insurance would definitely cover this. I'm thinking there's Businessowners Insurance policies of some sort (I'm not familiar with the Indian insurance market, only with the American market). Based on what I know, I would say that cars kept in the showroom, in storage lots or perhaps even in transit are covered as primary exposures for dealerships.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 15:04   #33096
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see the Tiago owner making it out without any serious injury, I did see the video on social media and there was a showroom staff with him too if I remember correctly, he too crawled his way out safely.

On a lighter note, amateur bloggers(NCAP experts) might be having a field day
giri1.8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 20:26   #33097
BHPian

Driver dead and others heavily injured as boulder fell on Hyundai Creta traveling on Kaladhungi-Nanital road. The incident happened on 20 July, 2021 at around 4 pm. The road in question connects Nanital to Bazpur and Moradabad, and serves as the primary route for tourists from NCR region to reach the hill station. Rescue team had to cut the car's body to extract the injured.

It servers as a reminder for all the people to avoid traveling to Hills during the monsoon season (July to October). Even if you are not as unlucky as this guy to get crushed by a random boulder, there are high chances you will get stuck in the middle of nowhere due to landslides with no water and food or even a place to relive yourself for hours. Trust me I am speaking from experience.

Another news: A car and a truck fell into gorge after debris fell down on them while they were waiting for a landslide to be cleared.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-e6uyshuuaqshrw.jpg

Last edited by YD14 : 20th July 2021 at 20:48. Reason: Added pic of another accident
YD14 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 20:29   #33098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
If the car is registered, then the insurance will have to take care of this. The dealer will not take any ownership since the loss was caused by the owner of the car.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 21:10   #33099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
That's really stupid and irresponsible of the showroom authorities to let a delivery happen from the first floor and on a hydraulic ramp.

Not everyone, regardless of new driver or not, uses a ramp regularly. They should have made the delivery on the ramp when it was on the ground.

With so many past cases of these incidents which I am sure the showroom is aware of, this could have been avoided.

The other point, being with more of automatics being sold, a new owner will be getting used to the car as well as it's operation and in a situation where he is seeing trees instead of the road when he is driving it for the first time, I am not surprised.
Concur with both of your points, everybody will find it difficult to park in a ramp, with a new car that adds lot of pressure.

This happened in my close circle, got confused between brake and accelerator, ended hitting a lamp post.
Arun_S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:21   #33100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Even when I used to go for servicing my cars I would make sure they bring it outside for me so if any issue happens I won't be responsible for it.
Check the "service request/consent form" which mentions the crib sheet of all the work (and probably cost estimate) that needs to be carried out during a service. You are signing this, before handing over the car to the service center. It has fine print which says "owner is responsible for any unplanned damage to the car, and owner's car insurance will be used to rectify any repairs that need to be carried out, in case something happens".
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 00:07   #33101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
Driver dead and others heavily injured as boulder fell on Hyundai Creta traveling on Kaladhungi-Nanital road.
Not to sound saddist, but I have a query.

Could the new Creta take the falling boulder better than this older version. Afterall, Hyundai showcased it's new ‘Superstructure’ monocoque construction, which is strong enough to support 2 fully-grown African elephants that weigh approx. 5,000 kg each.
Old 21st July 2021, 00:50   #33102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

Could the new Creta take the falling boulder better than this older version. Afterall, Hyundai showcased it's new ‘Superstructure’ monocoque construction, which is strong enough to support 2 fully-grown African elephants that weigh approx. 5,000 kg each.
A car might support an elephant placed carefully on the roof to prove a point. No car will save you from a boulder falling from great heights.
Indian2003 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 01:03   #33103
BHPian

Quote:

Well overblown advertisements do get a pass under artistic freedoms, don't they? People do understand that no car can bear the weight of two elephants or a falling boulder. Though their intent of showcasing Creta as a tough car is surely unethical.
YD14 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 15:52   #33104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
Driver dead and others heavily injured as boulder fell on Hyundai Creta traveling on Kaladhungi-Nanital road. The incident happened on 20 July, 2021 at around 4 pm. The road in question connects Nanital to Bazpur and Moradabad, and serves as the primary route for tourists from NCR region to reach the hill station. Rescue team had to cut the car's body to extract the injured.

It servers as a reminder for all the people to avoid traveling to Hills during the monsoon season (July to October). Even if you are not as unlucky as this guy to get crushed by a random boulder, there are high chances you will get stuck in the middle of nowhere due to landslides with no water and food or even a place to relive yourself for hours. Trust me I am speaking from experience.

Attachment 2181622
The Deceased, Hanumant Talwar, was a a personal acquaintance and and an ex-colleague. A thorough gentleman with the most positive and pleasing personality. It's a huge loss

His wife has also suffered major injuries and is currently being treated at a facility in Haldwani. Arrangements are being made to shift her to Gurgaon which is their Home Town

Their primary drive is a BMW 5 Series & they were possibly using the Creta in the hills owing to the high Ground clearance. They were on their way to Mukhteshwar to look at a peace of land to build a Holiday Home while holidaying with a few friends in Nainital

This is extremely tragic and shocking
amit_2025 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 17:37   #33105
BANNED

Quote:
falling boulder
Have you heard the name of 'coconut'? That item, when it fells on the cars, it breaks the windshields, sunroofs, dents the bonnet, boot or roof.

Momentum = mass*velocity

Pressure = Force/Area or Force per unit area (These two combined is the reason a bullet kills you, but a brick causes just a fracture)

If a 100 kilo boulder is hitting a car at 20 meter per second, that's just 2000 kilos. An elephant weighs 5000 kilos. But the mass of the elephant is distributed entirely through the roof of the car. Which makes it something like say:

Car make: Hyundai Creta
Roof Size (Rough Estimate) 7 X 5 (In feet)
Roof Area: 35 sq feet

When you distribute the weight of 2 elephants, it's 10,000 kilo distributed uniformly in an area of 35 square feet. Which makes it around 285 kilo per square foot. And in all this Hyundai never gave a live demo of that mass on the roof of the car, being supported by the 6 pillars.

Now, coming to boulder. It's not a uniform mass. A 100 kilo boulder will be an irregular shaped stone hardly 1 X 1 X 1 foot or say 1 cubic foot in size. Now, if this 1 cubic foot item, particularly if its pointy edge hits the roof, you may have a force equal to 2000 kilos being applied in 4 square inches, or 8 or 10 or 1/4th of a square foot - and hence "Creta will carry the Elephant on it's roof, but even a 100 kilo boulder felling from just 25 meter height will penetrate the roof like a blunt knife and kill the unfortunate person coming under it in no time". Adding more, what if the boulder weighs 500 kilos, then? They simply throw the buses and loaded trucks off the road when they come rolling and hit these massive vehicles too.

@YD-14
Even I also tell all my friends to avoid traveling to Uttarakhand during monsoon. But one particular thing I have noticed is that this all weather road stuff has increased the frequency and intensity of landslides and all multi fold, I have never seen such a large number of land slides when we had those older and narrower roads. Ironically, the above mentioned accident seems to have occurred on the old section itself.

Yesterday I drove from Rishikesh to Tehri, I was seriously surprised looking at the number of land slides and the rocks those have fallen on the road. At a few points which have always been hot spots like Agrakhal, Fakot etc. They have been clearing the rocks and boulders from the road every 2-3 hours in fact. The people accompanying me were from Delhi and they were hell scared looking at all this and were quite sure that the route may completely get closed till the time of return.

Last edited by VKumar : 21st July 2021 at 17:45.
VKumar is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed