Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2021, 00:53   #33436
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

It's astonishing and shocking to see how a glancing blow has sent that goods carrier flying.
Old 2nd September 2021, 05:49   #33437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's astonishing and shocking to see how a glancing blow has sent that goods carrier flying.
My guess is that the hooks on the side of the truck used for securing the goods would have tagged on something on the side of the 3 wheeler resulting in flinging it.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:26   #33438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Where in Koramangala did they hit such a high speed? Steering wheel is in the back seat!
This was outside PNB on Ganesha temple road which leads to forum mall.
AJ18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:04   #33439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The cops let them off with a warning, I believe. The politically influential individual in the car had clearly pulled rank.
Wondering how karma comes around to hit you in face. Had it been a non-influential person, police would have seized the car/stopped them from driving in any other way and they would be alive.

I'm taking the liberty to judge them here based on all the police reports, but been cashing in on father/relative's position all their life, riding on the high horse and how tragically it ends. A lesson or two maybe to few.
amods is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:10   #33440
BHPian

This article (in Kannada) claims that the police found a water bottle underneath the brake lever of the Q3, suggesting that it may have disabled the driver from applying the brake. This may explain why there was no sign of an attempt to brake as the car rocketed past the bollards and into the building. Of course, it's equally possible that the bottle ended up there after the crash. Most likely we'll never know.
BackstraightBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:12   #33441
Senior - BHPian

Offset crash testing in real life. That was a hard knock on the Fortuner, side airbags deployed.

On a side note Cyberabad police does a good job of putting these accidents online. They are popular and they use to remind people of the number of ways accidents can happen.
avishar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:14   #33442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
The people involved have already received the ultimate penalty for their misadventure! Does it really matter how it is portrayed by media, as long as they don't push the blame on some innocent soul? I'm sure Audi or BBMP don't care about how this get's reported.
Actually, I believe it does matter. It is one thing to say the people involved received the ultimate penalty.

But it is better to have a headline that says "MLAs son murders 6 innocent people while killing self". Let his name and his family name be dragged through the mud. Too many of these VIPs kids have been featured in the media doing rash stunts on public roads, endangering innocents.

Hopefully such humiliation, even if post-death will deter other VIPs kids. If such headlines start becoming more commonplace, maybe more VIPs will be stricer with enforcing discipline upon their errant children.
kadanaJ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:30   #33443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Quite a dramatic crash where a three-wheeler goods carrier gets bumped by a lorry and goes tumbling. Driver almost flew out. He and his wife escaped with minor injuries.
God! This looks so scary. The occupants are really fortunate to have come out of the incident with only minor injuries. The driver looked seriously dazed and it's better if he is denied access to this footage. It might haunt him and leave him mentally scarred for a long time. Interestingly, after the mighty topple, the 3-wheeler was left standing on its tires and seemed to have 'held up' pretty well, which to me is a surprise!

On a side note, it's good there are no 3-wheeler fanboy pages/groups on Facebook or elsewhere. Or atleast I am not aware if such a thing exists. Else, fanboys would have gone gag-gaga over the "BUILD" of the 3 wheeler. Every single accident these days is linked to the "SAFETY" aspect of a vehicle. Notwithstanding the nature of an accident, most times than not, the "build" of vehicle(s) in question is always solely credited/discredited vehemently by the safety experts on either sides.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2021 at 16:53. Reason: As requested
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:00   #33444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
But it is better to have a headline that says "MLAs son murders 6 innocent people while killing self". Let his name and his family name be dragged through the mud.
Personally I quite like your suggestion kadanaJ

But then again, this will only give a free PR to an already infamous politician and his family! I just cannot wrap my head around all the unnecessary importance the media is giving to this incident. Its either about Audi or this MLA and his legacy being destroyed.

I'd rather report it as:

1 dead, 6 killed in car crash

Our media is so screwed up that every dumb reporter has his own view about this incident and they even go as far as publishing one non-sense after another:

- The two youngsters were reported as husband and wife on day 1. The girl's father had to confirm on live TV that they were just dating.
- Report incidentally claimed that airbags failed as none of them had buckled up. Just today, I read a report somewhere that claims the Audi Q3 apparently had some issues.
- Local channels claimed that all of them were inebriated as they have CCTV clips showing the girls on a liquor shopping just hours before incident. Now another report claims the driver could not stop as a water bottle was lodged between the floor and the brake pedal!
- Karnataka is under night curfew between 9pm-5am. Cops reportedly warned them about the rash driving, ruckus they were creating on empty roads and unsafe driving just hours (and few Kms) away from the incident at around 12am. A report now reads the car was being driven so fast through junctions/intersections that they almost ran over a food delivery boy and the cops could not stop them.

Its the peer pressure and brand competition to be the first to report an incident that actually drives these media folks to publish some blurb...which is later updated/refined as and when facts come in.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:27   #33445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Some more information about the accident in this news - Bengaluru Audi accident: Footage shows victims in high spirits before death struck.
In the image of the car, you can see that the front passenger seat seatbelt seems to be engaged. Perhaps to avoid the warning chime.

Airbags must have deployed for passenger, but that would be deadly without seatbelt.
bharatbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:41   #33446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Actually, I believe it does matter. It is one thing to say the people involved received the ultimate penalty.
I do agree. It is painful for the involved people to see these comments and news in Media and Social media. If they feel they don't deserve, they should understand they didn't deserve any of the privileges which they got by showing off their status. Our comments sometimes border jealousy,but many of the distinguished members comments tilt more towards concern to a large extent.

With power comes not only privileges but greater responsibilities too. A duty to be sober, literally and metaphorically. These crashes are pointers to how delicate life is and a brute reminder for people who have done or bound to do rash actions in their life, and of course it includes me.
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:48   #33447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
In the image of the car, you can see that the front passenger seat seatbelt seems to be engaged. Perhaps to avoid the warning chime.

Airbags must have deployed for passenger, but that would be deadly without seatbelt.
Can be seen in another image too. The poor passenger would have got crushed immediately by the 75 kg of human body flying into the back seat. Which is why, people need belt-up in the back too.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-egmwvvvqaisbn.jpg

If the car was instead carrying 4 passengers and had properly worn their seat belts, I reckon that they would have escaped death, however with some serious injuries.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:28   #33448
BHPian

Sad, stupid accident, but super lucky that no bystanders/other vehicles were affected. But one thing I found strange -

Statement from the police initially -

Joint commissioner (traffic) BR Ravikanthe Gowda said: “The high-end car got onto the footpath and collided into the building after it brought down two bollards on the footpath ......"

I've seen this before as well . Why the need to emphasize that it was a "high-end car" ?
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:44   #33449
BHPian

The TUV driver is clearly at fault.
The pedestrians were lucky who were crossing the road seconds before the TUV hit Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Offset crash testing in real life. That was a hard knock on the Fortuner, side airbags deployed.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=m2S2nXk8xe8

On a side note Cyberabad police does a good job of putting these accidents online. They are popular and they use to remind people of the number of ways accidents can happen.
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:49   #33450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
... fanboys would have gone gag-gaga over the "BUILD" of the 3 wheeler. Every single accident these days are linked to the "SAFETY" aspect of a vehicle. Notwithstanding the nature of an accident, most times than not, the "build" of vehicle(s) in question is always solely credited/discredited vehemently by the safety experts on either sides.
I do wish people would lay off this. I nearly posted a snarky reply recently, then I reflected that it was unfair to pick on one post by one person.

All it takes is a picture of an utterly destroyed car, and a person who doesn't even know how the accident happened: must be poor build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDK286 View Post
I've seen this before as well . Why the need to emphasize that it was a "high-end car" ?
Like, the accident would still have happened if it was an old guy in an old auto? This accident was about youth, wealth, entitlement... and a high-end car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed