Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:04   #33451
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Two things need to be investigated in the Bangalore accident case.

1. Whether the bollards were legal or not. If it was put up illegally, suitable actions should be taken against the people, civic authority, owner who put it up. There is a high chance they might have crashed somewhere else or killed someone but it does not absolve others who put those bollards(if illegal).

2. If police has earlier stopped the vehicle and let them go with only a warning, actions should be initiated against them. I hope the family somehow file a case of dereliction of duty against the policemen who let them go, which not only killed the people inside but also endangered the life and property of others. If a case is filed then it gives the police an excuse to fulfill their duty(which they don't in fear of retaliation by those in power) even against the mightiest who pull ranks.

These people in car not only killed themselves but before it happened they put others life also at risk. They might have killed someone and chances were high that they might have escaped due to the political influence. Drunk driving is the worst thing, one is knowingly putting not only their but also other unsuspecting lives at risk. Drunk drivers should be punished without impunity.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:56   #33452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Offset crash testing in real life. That was a hard knock on the Fortuner, side airbags deployed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
The TUV driver is clearly at fault.
The TUV Driver is at fault for buying the car in the first place, to be trying some dynamic moves with it. I dont think any sane driver in control of a car will steer in the direction that the TUV was going in that video. It looks like the car is going on a trajectory of its own due to loss of control. The front wheels are pointing elsewhere and the car is skidding towards the Fortuner. Quite a dangerous situation especially when the fortuner is minding its business in the middle lane. And the poor lady seems to have got some injury due to the effect of the seat belts retracting during the crash. What an unexpected turn of events.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:10   #33453
BHPian

I don’t think any manufacturer in the world will guarantee the occupants will walk away from a crash where the car doing 100kmph hits a solid barrier and comes to a dead stop in fraction of a second. Even with airbags on, the deceleration alone will cause severe damage to inner organs.

Mind you, most safety tests are run at 50kmph only. What protection Seat belts and airbags provide at 100 plus kmph accidents is anybody’s guess…

As it is , visibility and reaction times are drastically reduced with each 10km/hr increase in speed. Driving at ridiculous speeds in the middle of the night on city streets is nothing short of suicidal!
gb97ce6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:17   #33454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackstraightBoy View Post
This article (in Kannada) claims that the police found a water bottle underneath the brake lever of the Q3, suggesting that it may have disabled the driver from applying the brake. This may explain why there was no sign of an attempt to brake as the car rocketed past the bollards and into the building. Of course, it's equally possible that the bottle ended up there after the crash. Most likely we'll never know.
Even if this article is correct, what's the possibility of finding the bottle still lodged under the brake pedal ? The whole vehicle was wrecked and bounced back on impact, but the bottle remained lodged under pedal.

Or is it another attempt to deflect the blame away from the influential driver ?
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:18   #33455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

And coming back to the topic of how much space to leave in front of you in slow moving traffic, there really is no actual number in a rule book to follow!. Based on your speed, just leave enough space (slow or fast moving) for you to either slow down or stop whenever the vehicle in front does the same!. But in real crawling speeds (less than 5kmph), do not maintain a kissing distance from the vehicle in front! Leave a margin for a potential rollback, particularly on inclines and behind buses and trucks. My cousin's car ended up with a damaged bumper when he was too close to a BMTC at a signal on an incline and the bus rolled back!.
In the U.K when stationary one should be able to see the tires of the car in front touching the road. When moving there is a 2 second rule. Stay 2 seconds behind the car in front!
Worldchamp 2019 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:29   #33456
Senior - BHPian

Just a guess but based on the video and the pics, I may be wrong but just trying to figure why the airbags didn't deploy.

1. Is it possible that when the car hit the bollards the front of the car with the subframe and bumper was ripped-off and pushed under the floorboard(can see that in the pics), also destroyed the shock sensors and disabled the airbag mechanism before it could trigger ?

2. Even the curtain and driver seat airbags haven't deployed but the "airbag" badging has been ripped off from the seat leaving three holes. Seems like the impact was strong enough for all airbags to trigger but I may be wrong.
And if it is the case then probably the airbag mechanism needs to be decentralized with separate trigger systems for each group(front, side/curtain) ?
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:33   #33457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Back to Back inside-city accidents! These two spots are about 5-6kms apart.
These two cases are completely different, it is not right to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
1. Whether the bollards were legal or not.
AFAIK, these are "new" footpath built in many major Bangalore areas. These bollards are there because bikers used to drive all over footpath. It is almost a standard design in Bangalore.

Also, that footpath is like 6-10 feet wide. This guy crashed in a best spot of the city. I have no clue on what would have happened if it was on Electronic City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
2. If police has earlier stopped the vehicle and let them go with only a warning, actions should be initiated against them.
Why harass a poor constable? Those guys have little to no choice but to let them go. Higher authorities should answer and get investigated.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:26   #33458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
In the image of the car, you can see that the front passenger seat seatbelt seems to be engaged. Perhaps to avoid the warning chime.

Airbags must have deployed for passenger, but that would be deadly without seatbelt.
There is a video doing the rounds taken just after the accident, which shows one person in the driver's position seemingly wearing a belt. But with the carnage around including a passenger(possibly) having gone through the windshield, not sure if this is the driver.

More likely the initial impact with the bollards destroyed something which caused the non-deployment of airbags.

The other thing we take for granted is that the safety features will all function irrespective of the nature of impact. May not be necessarily true. I do not believe this is as simple as 'there were no seatbelts'. Atleast one airbag should have gone off if that was the case.
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:44   #33459
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no NCAP rating against stupid. Stupid can cause death/injury even at 10 kmph. You honestly cannot expect correct functioning of electronics at those impacts, and blame the manufacturer.
I would however call the rest of the party as victims, because the actual perpetrator is just the driver. Whether they were drunk, or if they tried to stop the driver, said no, didn't change the fact that it is not their foot in the accelerator.
What a waste.
mayankk is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:36   #33460
BHPian

Quote:
Offset crash testing in real life. That was a hard knock on the Fortuner, side airbags deployed.

On a side note Cyberabad police does a good job of putting these accidents online. They are popular and they use to remind people of the number of ways accidents can happen.
Oh my!!!

I dare to imagine what would have happened if it was not a fortuner. How fortunate she was.
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:40   #33461
Senior - BHPian

I passed by the accident spot of the Audi in Koramangala this evening. The spot is kind of become like a tourist attraction with two wheelers stopping and discussing how it happened and pointing here and there. The corner where the car hit looks like a corner of a workshop with the ground covered with oil with hoses and plastic bits. It is still cordoned off.

The wall it hit which is actually the building, looks like a solid one since there were hardly any scars on the wall, I didn't even notice a crack.
What caught my eye was how the car would have squeezed in between a no parking board that wasn't hit and the bollards, which was hardly 10 meters apart. It shows the trajectory of the car because of the speeds.

I was surprised how the bollards just snapped off in the cctv videos, but when I saw the spot , it looked it was just screwed in with a big screw in the centre.

Either the driver was too out of his senses to slow down for the curve or would have thought the car would make it.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:43   #33462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
There is no NCAP rating against stupid. Stupid can cause death/injury even at 10 kmph. You honestly cannot expect correct functioning of electronics at those impacts, and blame the manufacturer.
Very well said ! No amount of safety features can prevent stupidity from showcasing its talent.

On a controversial note, I think all automobiles should be speed restricted to 100 kph.

Further, I think that cars should have a power ceiling too. I, in my post youth, don't see the need for excessively powerful cars which permit such acceleration in short distances. Most accidents are caused by abrupt acceleration.

With city and highway roads having speed limits, why allow potential surface to surface missiles to be sold and used.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th September 2021 at 22:50. Reason: spacing for improved readability
matizcrazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:07   #33463
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=m2S2nXk8xe8
This has been posted and discussed in the thread a few months ago.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5067995
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:46   #33464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Oh Gosh! Another crash well inside city limits .

Just shows that there are no high risk roads or low risk roads. Idiots behind the wheel can transform all roads.

And yet another report that blames the poor car for losing control .

And coming back to the topic of how much space to leave in front of you in slow moving traffic, there really is no actual number in a rule book to follow!. Based on your speed, just leave enough space (slow or fast moving) for you to either slow down or stop whenever the vehicle in front does the same!. But in real crawling speeds (less than 5kmph), do not maintain a kissing distance from the vehicle in front! Leave a margin for a potential rollback, particularly on inclines and behind buses and trucks. My cousin's car ended up with a damaged bumper when he was too close to a BMTC at a signal on an incline and the bus rolled back!.
How much room should be leave behind the car in front? 4 seconds. This leaves enough room for reaction time. I understand this is not possible in India because someone else will steal that place. But at high speeds it is possible, which I think was the issue here.
Old 2nd September 2021, 23:27   #33465

I was watching the news about the Audi Q3 accident, and the news reader in a prominent kannada news channel was complaining about how the airbags didn't deploy in such a high end car, even though all the occupants were wearing seat belts.

Like really? How can all 7 people wear seat belts in a 5 seater car? News channels these days don't even report logically or factually. All they want is to increase their TRPs by over dramatising the incident.

Just wondering, will there be any investigation by Audi into this incident, as this accident is getting a lot of attention by the media and the negative talks about Audi's safety?
anoopBH is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks