Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 11:22   #33511
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

https://twitter.com/i/status/1434844426031927300

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I felt happy that these idiots are learning it the best possible way
vvivek85 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:37   #33512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I felt happy that these idiots are learning it the best possible way
Ouch! That would have most definitely hurt but slim hope do i have that they will learn from that.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:39   #33513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Unfortunately, had to report an accident in this thread that happened to one of our family members. This happened to my sister and family two weeks ago while they were traveling from one of the southern KL district to way north and accident occurred in Kollam district. BIL was driving the 5 yr old Ciaz, sister in front and two children at back.
Glad to know that your sister and her family were all safe. The pics look horrific.
Compared to most Maruti vehicles, the Ciaz seems to be built better. I know of another friend who had an accident in Bangalore where he hit the median and the car rolled over twice and landed on the roof. He thankfully got out safe with minor injuries (though the car was a total loss).
Please do insist that your sister get a new/used car and not repair this one. Given the crazy traffic in Kerala and the permanent ennui that Kerala governments have been in (irrespective of their affiliations), driving is going to be increasingly treacherous and you would want a safe car then.
kvothe_rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:48   #33514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Got to this video suggestion from Google. This vlogger wanted adventure and got more than he wanted. He was pushing the tall vehicle's limits and crossed it. Obviously physics had the last laugh. Feels sad to see a new car damaged!
I saw another version of this video where post the accident folks were cool and laughing. Trust me, my car is 2 years old and a small hit to the bumper will give me at least a day of sleeplessness.
vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 12:07   #33515
BHPian

Quote:

I am a bit more harsh . I was dancing, like they were on their bikes, after watching them fall .
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 12:23   #33516
BHPian

Quote:

Nothing harsh in your post, that was good lessen for these morons. Every idiot that rides (?) bike like this, should definitely fall flat on the face to learn not to weave bike like this. I mean how stupid, dumb one has to be!! I've seen mostly bullet riders going zig zag through narrow roads, market gullies and with that stupid loud thump thump exhaust. God I hate these riders so much
Akshay6988 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 14:45   #33517
BHPian

Quote:
These guys will never learn. Pretty sure they'll be back to their antics soon enough. I'm just disappointed that he didn't take out a few of his co-morons with him. Sad.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 8th September 2021 at 14:47.
GeneralJazz is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 17:23   #33518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A D over CARS View Post
As a 16 year old teenager, I agree with all of you. I have been out for late night parties with friends my own age as well as those older than me. I have been with many of them in their cars and always hold on to dear life. Most of the time my friends driving style is different when they are alone and when they are with their friends. Late night party drives are scary to say the least. I have stopped going to late night parties due to one particularly close call.
It takes a lot to admit one is wrong. Bravo kid! Stay safe (though I'm not sure if someone at your age should be partying at all!). I'm sure you will grow-up into a responsible citizen with this attitude. Keep it up!

Without calling out anyone, I see a few members trying to equate driving fast with driving recklessly and trying to put the blame on a slow moving vehicle in the wrong lane. For all those - there is only one answer - "Defensive Driving". If one adopts defensive driving, you can drive fast, and safe.

I've seen many bullies - especially on the highways, who overtake from the left-most part of the road (the run-through lane), who tailgate, who cut-through after a failed overtake as they were trying to overtake not one but multiple vehicles without having the patience to take one vehicle after another. Each one of those is a potential risk - to themselves, and to others. In 7 or 8 out of 10 such cases, I manage to catchup with those; only indicating that such impatience was uncalled for.

While I agree that the slow-moving vehicles on a fast lane are a menace, impatience is no cure for it. Adopt defensive driving and adapt to the situation; it is safer for us, and others.

Note: This is my first ever post on this forum (thanks to GTO for extending the membership!).
theabstractmind is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 19:23   #33519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
(though I'm not sure if someone at your age should be partying at all!).
You would be shocked to know that there are people as young as 13 years old into parties right now. This usually happens in Instagram where their fellow schoolmates of ages 17 or 18 host parties and charge somewhere around 500-2000 rupees per person for it. These schoolmates post stories on upcoming parties and even offer pick up and drop (usually using one of their private cars) for an extra fee.Their parents aren't even aware about this. These parties usually happens in famous 5 star hotels.

The times have been harsh on teens as they are being locked up at a time when they have to go out with friends and have fun. Many young people have turned to social media for relief. They get to know about these parties and want to join in on them. Many teens I know are facing depression and Trauma because of the current situations. So I would advice all BHPians with children to take some time off your work and check on your kids. Speak to them and take them on 20 minute walks or drives lest they turn to these parties for companionship.
M A D over CARS is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 20:06   #33520

I am 18 years old and I have to agree with you all. Sadly, no other choice. I am particularly blessed to not have driven with friends who drive like this, but, I see many instagram stories in my own friends circle who are driving at 170 - 180 Kmph holding a phone in their hand. Cherry on top - THEY WERE DRUNK. I particularly hate these types of people. God forbid something happens, these people are the first ones to run away from the scene. Roads are quite literally death traps for two-wheelers at times with people like these!
Ravi2k3 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 20:49   #33521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind_555 View Post
Context: Innova accident in Chennai - link above.
I guess the taillights of the truck not being operational could have been a big factor coupled with a short notice period to the Innova driver (high speeds, night, low beam etc) contributed to this accident. Sad :(
I don't know when authorities will wake up and take notice of this simple safety measure. A lot of trucks on highways especially long distance ones do not have tailights and move at a slow speed along highways at night. Often when cars are moving fast these vehicles come into focus only when too late.

Similar issue when trucks are parked at night. Highway patrol should enforce this strictly at night. In Kerala this is mostly lumber trucks - most of the other trucks registered in Kerala have working brake lights.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 21:19   #33522
BHPian

This happened a few days back near my house (I didn't take these photos as I was out of town). The brakes failed coming down the incline (they say).

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210904wa0030.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210904wa0031.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210904wa0033.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210904wa0032.jpg
BoJack is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 22:07   #33523
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJack View Post
This happened a few days back near my house (I didn't take these photos as I was out of town). The brakes failed coming down the incline (they say).
Quiet possibly the driver used his brakes a lot instead of gear/engine braking while downhill from some hill roads? Does the place have hilly roads?
Old 9th September 2021, 22:44   #33524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Does the place have hilly roads?
Not really, just one downhill stretch with a right-handed turn (where the truck seem to have had the brake failure) following an uphill portion , nothing but relatively plain roads for like 7 kms leading to this junction.
Old 9th September 2021, 22:46   #33525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJack View Post
Is that a Chevrolet Sail? If yes, I feel extremely sad for the owner. Don't know if he would be able to fix it up or not.
Poor Sail
Candy$Cars is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed