Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 20:21   #34096
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I am frequent user of that road. So, I am just wondering how such a horrific accident can happen on that road? I mean, one cannot drive so fast in that road as that road is bit narrow and traffic is always there.
Report on NDTV mentions that the car hit the 2 wheeler first and in an escape bid after that it ended up causing multiple collisions including toppling a parked car and killing its driver on the spot.

Speeding Mercedes Wrecks 7 Vehicles In Bengaluru, Killed 1 In Escape Bid

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th December 2021 at 20:25.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 20:24   #34097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Horrible accident on the busy 80 Feet Road Indiranagar just after Chinmaya mission hospital.
Assuming from the pictures the accident happened in the day, how the hell can someone drive that fast in that busy road? It is always crowded.
May the deceased RIP.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 21:26   #34098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Horrible accident on the busy 80 Feet Road Indiranagar just after Chinmaya mission hospital.

Source: The news minute (TNM)
Few images and videos of the accident.

Also see the Archive.zip file for videos of the accident. All 3 cars are totalled.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20211207-21.12.44.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20211207-21.12.45.jpeg  

Attached Files
File Type: zip Archive.zip (9.55 MB, 86 views)
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 07:25   #34099
BHPian

Tried to look for the car in mparivahan which says details not found.

May be the reason for the driver trying to escape from the scene after hitting the two wheeler leading to these multiple collisions.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20211208072206.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Report on NDTV mentions that the car hit the 2 wheeler first and in an escape bid after that it ended up causing multiple collisions including toppling a parked car and killing its driver on the spot.
girishv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 07:46   #34100
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Tried to look for the car in mparivahan which says details not found.

May be the reason for the driver trying to escape from the scene after hitting the two wheeler leading to these multiple collisions.
The names of the driver who caused the accident and the deceased (valet driver) have been published in the local newspapers today.
The Merc was driven by a businessman residing in Defence Colony, Indiranagar. He is in a serious condition admitted at Manipal hospital.
Source: Indian express, Bangalore
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 08:31   #34101
Senior - BHPian

A short clip in the video looks like it was taken soon after the accident occurred.
The Merc probably picked up some good speed for the Alto to end up like that.

Looks like a war zone.

These kind of scenarios makes me think twice to use my two wheeler even in the city now.

Last edited by tharian : 8th December 2021 at 08:32.
tharian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 09:04   #34102
BHPian

These luxury cars cause a disproportionate number of accidents. Fast acceleration, their safety features and drunk on money-power combined with lax prosecution these cars' owners think of themselves as Gods.
Also what will be the scenario when EVs become common? Maybe the govt should regulate the acceleration of vehicles also just like their is speed limit laws.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 09:12   #34103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
These luxury cars cause a disproportionate number of accidents. Fast acceleration...
I think these events are the equivalent of school shootings in the USA.
Old 8th December 2021, 09:35   #34104
BHPian

Can't digest the news that this kind of damage can happen on busy road inside an erstwhile residential area in broad daylight? Must be an insane speed for that road. I have travelled by bike, car and by foot on that road so many times and it sent shivers down my spine to see the damage. There must be so many CCTVs in that area and hope they help nab the driver at fault. Hope the drunken driving test reports are not manipulated.
nagarjun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 09:38   #34105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
A short clip in the video looks like it was taken soon after the accident occurred. Looks like a war zone.
Oh man. It looks horrible. Total carnage!

I just cannot fathom how a car can pickup so much speed to cause such a wreck in the 80ft road!! Isn't that road riddled with speed breakers? Last I remember going by that road, you can barely get to a top speed of 50kmph.

Can't imagine sitting in a parked car probably talking to one of his friends/relatives or watching a video, not knowing what happened but the world just turned upside down. Is anywhere on our roads safe?

I hope the Merc driver is given severe punishment. And may the deceased rest in peace!
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 09:44   #34106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
...These luxury cars cause a disproportionate number of accidents. Fast acceleration, their safety features...
Such generalizations have no place in Team-BHP. Earlier, it was superbikes, and now it is luxury cars. A super sharp knife can serve a chef as well as a criminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I think these events are the equivalent of school shootings in the USA.
You are taking this too far. The school shootings are intentional, whereas these accidents are due to carelessness.
UPS_Guru is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 09:46   #34107
BHPian

He is an assamese working as a valet. May be he was sitting in the car waiting for the customer call.
Sad to hear that he was married, planned to start a business and settle down in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Oh man. It looks horrible. Total carnage!

Can't imagine sitting in a parked car probably talking to one of his friends/relatives or watching a video, not knowing what happened but the world just turned upside down. Is anywhere on our roads safe?
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 09:54   #34108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
A short clip in the video looks like it was taken soon after the accident occurred.
The Merc probably picked up some good speed for the Alto to end up like that.

These kind of scenarios makes me think twice to use my two wheeler even in the city now.
Sad to see a innocent soul pass away for no fault of his and some rich moron was drunk driving. Rest in peace.
This incident does make me question if any Maruti Suzuki car is even "safe" on the city roads. People citing "oh I am buying a Maruti just for city use, I will never take it out on a highway, so I don't care about it's safety" argument should also rethink their decision to buy a Maruti for city use.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 09:59   #34109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
Such generalizations have no place in Team-BHP. Earlier, it was superbikes, and now it is luxury cars. A super sharp knife can serve a chef as well as a criminal.
Why allow a super sharp knife to chefs who are novice/untrained/unbalanced minded and so on?

I don't have the data as to the total number of luxury cars vs total number of cars and that of total number of accidents caused by luxury vehicles vs total number of accidents caused by all the vehicles. But I don't think this generalisation is wrong.
These luxury cars due to their acceleration, their weight and general attitude of invincibility that comes to their drivers' mind coupled with the fact that money can win anything is what causes these disproportionate number of accidents.
I would blame turbo push also as there is a sudden acceleration when turbo starts up and in city traffic you have to be really mindful to keep this turbo push in check.
neeraj0272 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 10:12   #34110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
This incident does make me question if any Maruti Suzuki car is even "safe" on the city roads. People citing "oh I am buying a Maruti just for city use, I will never take it out on a highway, so I don't care about it's safety" argument should also rethink their decision to buy a Maruti for city use.
While you are right that Maruti might be relatively unsafe for city driving but that doesn't mean that we go on driving in a tank because there is a very small minority of dangerous drivers.
Real remedy is to control these very minor numbers of drivers who do rash driving rather than punishing the majority of car owners who may use Alto or Merc. Key is that there should be responsible driving. And very harsh penalties for rash driving plus there should be a regulation to keep in check acceleration as well as speed.
Everyone is wondering how can Mercedes gain so much speed on such a busy road. It can because it is designed to do so. What we as a society are going to do about it?
I have not driven an EV as yet but users are raving about their quick acceleration. Just imagine how dangerous these EVs can be when instead of brake, one accidently presses the A pedal. Even before one realise the mistake, car will be bang into someone!
neeraj0272 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed