Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2022, 16:46   #34381
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
4 techies were killed in NICE Road pile-up.

OT: The report indicates the accident occured at 10:30pm.Isn't there a curfew in Bangalore from Friday 10pm onwards?
Is yet another rule that is generally ignored?
Old 8th January 2022, 17:15   #34382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
OT: The report indicates the accident occured at 10:30pm.Isn't there a curfew in Bangalore from Friday 10pm onwards?
The curfew bans public assembly (malls, theatres, restaurants etc.). It does not prohibit general movement of people.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 17:21   #34383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post

I believe having LED light assembly at back can solve this issue of the entire unit going kaput.
I don't think the LEDs will solve this issue. There could be tonnes of other issues(wiring, battery etc).

I recently bought a KTM Adv 250 and during PDI, I tested out all the lights (tested the brake light using the rear brakes located at the right foot area as I cannot reach the handlebar for the front brakes and view the brake light as I was under direct sunlight)

After a week of happy riding, at one fine signal, a nice guy requested me to check the brake lights because he didn't see my brake light turn on while slowing down for the signal. That's when I realised the front brake is not activating the brake light.

Visited the SVC the next day and apparently the wire wasn't connected
shravansp24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 19:32   #34384
BHPian

Quote:

https://etimesofindia.indiatimes.com...w/88764290.cms

Just yesterday we spoke about NICE road being fastag enabled finally.
The way it looks, the Toyota was trying to overtake using the shoulder (left most emergency run-off lane) and ran into the truck; possibly tried to squeeze into the spot between the truck and the red car I can't seem to identify.

There are umpteen cases which gets reported where the overtaking from left most lane created the problem but people don't seem to learn. I have seen people using that lane at 100+ kms putting themselves and any other vehicle ahead of them, all in danger. Not sure why some people never learn.

Also appalled at the support the Kwid driver or the i10 driver received despite no efforts from them to prevent an accident. The i10 was simply too fast while the Kwid was either arrogant or ignorant. Let us be sensible and practical.

Had read this somewhere - Technicality is the recourse of a coward. Let common sense prevail.
theabstractmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 21:31   #34385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Also this is too much to ask for but it is high time we provide and indicator in dashboard, if any critical lighting systems conks off.
I think in both bikes and cars the indicator in the dashboard flashing more rapidly than usual is used to indicate the bulb is fused.

I remember this happening in my pulsar long back.
Old 8th January 2022, 22:03   #34386
BHPian

Quote:
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say the there must be some speed breaker or something which caused one of the vehicles ahead to break hard. All other vehicles behind that also slowed down but either the Wagon R slowed suddenly or the truck didn't slow down enough causing the hit and subsequent pile up. This might have been avoided if there was enough gap between vehicles (in proportion to the speed at which they are travelling).
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 22:21   #34387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say the there must be some speed breaker or something which caused one of the vehicles ahead to break hard.
No speed-breakers on NICE road. Something else would have happened. I would have thought that a vehicle in front of these tried to get to the exit at the last moment, but the spot seems to be away from the near-by exit. Something else would have happened in the darkness, and if it was a vehicle, then the driver would have got away to avoid any blame.
Old 8th January 2022, 22:38   #34388
Senior - BHPian

NICE is getting quite dangerous these days. Just yesterday morning, I entered from Kanakpura road. You enter into the WIP stretch for 2 km. Average speed in the single lane was 13 km/hr, thanks to a very heavy loaded trailer struggling to move. The moment the diversion got over, there were people driving like there is no tomorrow.

The evening was even more dreadful. Entered Tumkur Road at 645 pm. In the two stretches with diversions, the bikers had no left lanes and were getting off the road into mud and getting back and you could see the bikes rear wheels do a small dance before they get into the road. The truckers are on both lanes and the impatient cars keep honking and the bikes try their stunts at the shoulders. Big recipes for disasters. It took us 80 minutes to reach Kanakpura Road exit last evening.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 22:49   #34389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
.. the bikers had no left lanes and were getting off the road into mud and getting back and you could see the bikes rear wheels do a small dance before they get into the road..
WHy just bikes ? On last sunday at 5 pm, I saw cars going on to the grassy patch at the centre to try get as far ahead as possible.
Old 11th January 2022, 11:09   #34390
Senior - BHPian

Like everyone else, I never wanted to be a part of this thread personally!

But, as fate would have it, I have an entry.

TL;DR: Hit a cow. No injuries/ fatalities

My knees hurt yesterday morning and I took the momentous decision not to walk. Then, it was decided that I have to go to Tirupati for the 12th day ceremonies of my cousin. So, I drove alone to TIrupathi. And, on the way back, had a right-of-way argument with a cow.

The cow won, of course. I was extremely glad nobody died and that there were no injuries. What happened:

A cow herd was grazing 2-3 cows on the median. They suddenly decided to make a run for it and ran in front of me. I slammed the brakes but still hit the cow on the offside. I think I slowed down enough - the cow walked and even the airbags did not deploy even though the bonnet was crushed. Either that or the air bags did not trigger.

Also, there is no soreness in the shoulder today morning. Both these indicators lead me to think that I slowed down enough but not enough!

This being India (and Andhra), there was an immediate crowd and people started talking about compensating the "poor cowherd". This, despite him accepting it was completely his fault.

I started the calling process of informing the family, arranging for the tow truck and informing insurance. Obviously, I walked away from the crowd to hear clearly. After the calls, I noticed that no one was near me and decided to cool things a bit and decided to go for a walk. When I returned 30 minutes later, there was no one there. No cow either.

Again, deciding to push along a good thing, I went back for a walk and came back when the tow truck came. Was able to get the car towed without incident or 'payment' to unknown parties.

My point is, I had to walk around 20k steps and my knee pain had vanished.

Knees are weird!

Cow steps in. Note the guy trying to reach for the rope to restrain it
Name:  Pic1 Cow.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  56.5 KB

Impact! S**t literally flying
Name:  Pic2 Hit.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  62.9 KB

Cow rolls & stands up. No blood (thankfully!) and walked off in a bit
Name:  Pic4Rolls.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  57.8 KB
Name:  Pic8 cow ok.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  60.1 KB

The car, afterwards
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220110_153149.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2022 at 07:43. Reason: Adding video to original post too :). Glad you're okay
sridhu is offline   (143) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 11:24   #34391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Glad that you are ok. These things happen and glad that you are ok. Having a relatively bigger car like Innova helped you stay safe.

The shunt looks strong enough to deploy the airbags which did not. The car can always be repaired and lucky you were allowed to walk away. In most of the cases the mob would either damage the car further or damage the driver or dent the wallet.

I had a similar close shave at Ahmedabad.

tazmaan is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 11:32   #34392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hit a cow. No injuries/ fatalities
Sorry to hear about the incident. As a defensive driving technique, if there is a cow on the median, slow down then change lane. The speed will drop from 100 to 20 for no reason but you will mitigate the situation safely.

PS: You may note down the area/location and complain on the 1033 helpline later. It is the job of highway maintenance to ensure safe roads.
msdivy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 13:03   #34393
BHPian

Quote:
Like everyone else, I never wanted to
Glad there was no loss of lives, I had the scare of my life when I was returning back to Mangalore from Kumta late at night couple of weeks back, near Bhatkal where there is a small ghat section a cow appeared out of no where bang in the middle of a curve which was poorly lit. Good that I was alert and took an evasive action and missed the cow by couple of inches. I somehow was expecting that these stray cows would be there as I had seen them in the morning. Took a breather in the next toll for couple of minutes and continued with heightened awareness.
mazda4life is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 13:13   #34394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Sorry to hear about the incident. As a defensive driving technique, if there is a cow on the median, slow down then change lane. The speed will drop from 100 to 20 for no reason but you will mitigate the situation safely.

PS: You may note down the area/location and complain on the 1033 helpline later. It is the job of highway maintenance to ensure safe roads.
In this case, there was nowhere to go! There was an XUV in front of me (I had sufficient distance) and there was a curve on the road. The cow ran from the median between the XUV & me. Since there was a car on my left, I had to perforce try & stop the car.

I was worried about getting harassed by cops too; hence did not call 1033.
sridhu is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 13:30   #34395
BHPian

Quote:

But, as fate would have it, I have an entry.

TL;DR: Hit a cow. No injuries/ fatalities
I went to Tirupati last week and I noticed the same person on the median along with his cows. Looks like this is a daily occurrence on that stretch.

There were also cases of wrong side driving, on a six lane highway. Forget the usual autos and bikes, there was even a bus on the wrong side. This is a major accident waiting to happen.
mav2000 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks