Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2022, 17:23   #34411
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Consider the nature of the load, even a small sharp steer can lead to a loadshift. Another solution might be to have ESCs in trucks. But, again there is neither any data nor tests to tell their effectiveness.
One solution might be to limit the size and load of trucks allowed to ply within populated areas. These tippers are widely employed by all construction agencies across the city. These grossly heavyweight trucks not only cause inconvenience on roads, they also damage the roads and infra wherever they ply.
railfanwithk750 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 19:54   #34412

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
(2) Its surprising to read that the airbags did not deploy. They recalled so many hundreds of thousands of Toyotas manufactured recently, whose airbags were defective.

From the company telling about recalls of Takata airbag fitted Toyotas in Europe :-
I am no expert in airbag deployment, but the Takata scandal was something completely different. From what I am aware of, the Takata airbags would explode inadvertently and potentially send shrapnels/sharp pieces of metal (mostly from the airbag inflator) onto the faces of both driver and co-driver, causing life threatening injuries.

Quote:
Wish they also had concern for their Indian customers perennially. They fear sharp toothed consumer laws of the west.
TKM did recall multiple Corollas and Prius'. One can find the information here: https://www.toyotabharat.com/announcements/. Scroll down to the year 2018 and you can find multiple recalls regarding airbags.

Made in India Toyotas including Crysta, Etios and Fortuner are equipped with airbags manufactured by Autoliv. That is why, they were never a part of the Takata airbag recall. Are these Autoliv airbags effective? I don't know.

I would like to reiterate that I am not defending TKM/Takata here, but according to my knowledge, this incident has nothing to do with the the Takata scandal.

Cheers
scenario7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 19:57   #34413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Like everyone else, I never wanted to be a part of this thread personally!

But, as fate would have it, I have an entry.

TL;DR: Hit a cow. No injuries/ fatalities

My knees hurt yesterday morning and I took the momentous decision not to walk. Then, it was decided that I have to go to Tirupati for the 12th day ceremonies of my cousin. So, I drove alone to TIrupathi. And, on the way back, had a right-of-way argument with a cow.

The cow won, of course. I was extremely glad nobody died and that there were no injuries. What happened:

A cow herd was grazing 2-3 cows on the median. They suddenly decided to make a run for it and ran in front of me. I slammed the brakes but still hit the cow on the offside. I think I slowed down enough - the cow walked and even the airbags did not deploy even though the bonnet was crushed. Either that or the air bags did not trigger.

The car, afterwards
Attachment 2257812
Glad that nobody was hurt. Cows are real problem on our highways. It’s one reason I rarely drive above 80 KMPH on our highways. I lost my voice 13 years back. I was riding my Karizma at exactly 80 KMPH when a cow decided to cross the road. I feel someone might have scared the cow on the other side of the road because it just kept running and running. I couldn’t stop in time and the cow hit my bike with full force. Result was a ruptured vocal cord which got paralysed too. I couldn’t speak for about an year after which I started whispering and now I can communicate with people around me easily but I am not audible when there are lot of people around or there is some noise and if I talk continuously for about an hour I feel like my eyes will pop out of the sockets.
nik0502 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 20:12   #34414

Glad that you are safe, this could have been real nasty ! Thankfully the cow was also okay and walked off, the villagers could have created a ruckus had the cow been hurt.

These felines are a common occurence on the roads right from North down South. Had our share of real close shaves when we (group of 6 bikers) were on our ride from Bengaluru to Srinagar and back.
Old 12th January 2022, 20:23   #34415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

(2) Its surprising to read that the airbags did not deploy. They recalled so many hundreds of thousands of Toyotas manufactured recently, whose airbags were defective.
I was expecting this angle to come up. Why do you feel that the airbag must have deployed? Could you elaborate?
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 20:46   #34416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the company telling about recalls of Takata airbag fitted Toyotas in Europe :-

The link:-

https://www.toyota-europe.com/world-...ll-information
I think that recall was about explosions while airbag deployment and related injuries. I don't think it had anything to do with airbags not deploying.

Anyway, in this case, I feel the damage is not enough to warrant an airbag opening. There should be thresholds in place to decide whether to open it or not. Isn't the fact that the occupants walked after the head-on collision enough proof that the thresholds for airbag opening served their purpose? Airbag opening would have just exaggerated the cost of accidental repair in this case.
Old 12th January 2022, 21:05   #34417

Hi all,
Like most here I never wanted to upload anything to this thread. But, it is what it is.

Luckily the guy in the scooter admitted his mistake and lived close by, and I was also able to get his registration and contact details. I also assessed the damage done to my vehicle and saw this dent on the rear bumper. What hurts is that my car is just 4 months old and it's the first one I've bought

Can this dent be fixed on my own or I'll have to go to a workshop to get it fixed? Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-inkedimg0067_li.jpg  

Stimpy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 00:41   #34418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
Hi all,
Like most here I never wanted to upload anything to this thread. But, it is what it is.

https://Youtu.be/nNj-TCL99SU

Luckily the guy in the scooter admitted his mistake and lived close by, and I was also able to get his registration and contact details. I also assessed the damage done to my vehicle and saw this dent on the rear bumper. What hurts is that my car is just 4 months old and it's the first one I've bought

Can this dent be fixed on my own or I'll have to go to a workshop to get it fixed? Any help is appreciated.
Where is the dent? That looks like barely a scratch. Go to a good autoshop and and they will polish it back to new for snack money.
Cresterk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 02:18   #34419
BHPian

Quote:

But, as fate would have it, I have an entry.

TL;DR: Hit a cow. No injuries/ fatalities

My knees hurt yesterday morning and I took the momentous decision not to walk. Then, it was decided that I have to go to Tirupati for the 12th day ceremonies of my cousin. So, I drove alone to TIrupathi. And, on the way back, had a right-of-way argument with a cow.

The cow won, of course. I was extremely glad nobody died and that there were no injuries. What happened:

A cow herd was grazing 2-3 cows on the median. They suddenly decided to make a run for it and ran in front of me. I slammed the brakes but still hit the cow on the offside. I think I slowed down enough - the cow walked and even the airbags did not deploy even though the bonnet was crushed. Either that or the air bags did not trigger.

Attachment 2257812
I had two encounters with cows, one with bad result.

One, A case like Sridhu but near miss. This was on NH4 near Haveri.

Two, on the way to Goa in 2017 just after crossing Goa Checkpost, a drove of cattle suddenly ran towards the road giving little time to manoeuvre resulting in hitting a cow and causing damage as seen below. No Injuries to the cow and it walked away after the fall.

In spite of the damage, Innova's structure held well and did not cause any noise or vibrations throughout the return journey from Goa to Bangalore. Had to make this day travel due to nonfunctional Left headlight

Since, every one of my highway drives always begin and end with anticipating straying animals(Dogs, Cows) on Highways and my eyes with 576 megapixels resolution scans as far the sight can see for any trouble and I try to stay in the middle lane as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20220113003529_photos.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20220113003332_photos.jpg  

shenoytech is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 06:39   #34420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
had a right-of-way argument with a cow.

The cow won, of course.

My point is, I had to walk around 20k steps and my knee pain had vanished.

Knees are weird!

Impact! S**t literally flying
Call me a terrible human being but I ENJOYED reading this!
Right from the thread title "My Innova hits a cow" as if the car left your garage on her own despite you begging not to and getting a nice lesson!

And then it keeps getting hilarious, I have quoted the notables
The last one above had me in absolute splits.

Well done. Glad to hear there wasn't much damage to anyone. In fact the knees healed up in the process!
amol4184 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 10:11   #34421
BHPian

Quote:
This is not even a proper dent, so you should consider yourself lucky!

The damage here is EASILY fixable by any good paint shop. Won't even cost you much.

Also, if you're worried about such scratches then get a PPF done at least for scratch/dent prone areas. I got a PPF done for my full car (except roof) and the piece of mind it offers is great.
Old 13th January 2022, 11:16   #34422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenario7 View Post

Made in India Toyotas including Crysta, Etios and Fortuner are equipped with airbags manufactured by Autoliv. That is why, they were never a part of the Takata airbag recall. Are these Autoliv airbags effective? I don't know.
The Etios, atleast mine or some batches have airbags made by Tokai Rika Minda India pvt ltd.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4083797 (Toyota internationally recalls the Etios for faulty airbags (Takata). India next?)

Quote:
What hurts is that my car is just 4 months old and it's the first one I've bought ..Can this dent be fixed on my own or I'll have to go to a workshop to get it fixed? Any help is appreciated.
How about seeing your brand new car ( drove straight from the showroom ) getting a small tear in the bumper since an Activa idiot misjudged his scooter's wide ass and side step.

This looks to be easily fixed by some polish and rubbing. Fret not. A couple of dents and scratches in the first year, usually takes a weight off my shoulder and let me enjoy and use the car without worry.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 13:07   #34423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also assessed the damage done to my vehicle and saw this dent on the rear bumper. What hurts is that my car is just 4 months old and it's the first one I've bought
Like others have already pointed out, it is good to accept that a few dents and scratches will be part of a car's life.

When caught in a major traffic jam, some people can get very impatient, especially two-wheeler riders. They squeeze into gaps that are not wide enough and sometimes scratch other vehicles to save a few seconds of their time.

I once had a big scratch delivered by an ambulance, even though I had stopped on the extreme left of the road to give way and there was enough room for it to pass.
Old 13th January 2022, 13:32   #34424

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The Etios, atleast mine or some batches have airbags made by Tokai Rika Minda India pvt ltd.
Thank you BHPian DicKy for pointing this out. I too own an Etios, anufactured in December 2016. Mine is equipped with airbags manufactured by Autoliv. I am aware of this because, unfortunately, our car met with an accident in 2019. Both the airbags were deployed and hence had to be replaced. I was present at the ASC, when the airbags were replaced. They had Autoliv branding all over the packaging. I was suspicious as I had gone through the thread you have mentioned in your post (was not a TeamBHP member back then) and had noticed the different supplier you had mentioned. So, I contacted a friend of mine at TKM and he clearly told that after the Takata fiasco, Toyota, in order to de-risk their operations expanded their supplier portfolio. So, Autoliv was added as another supplier for the safety systems. TKM would transport the airbags from the necessary supplier to the ASC based on the VIN no.

MOD NOTE: My apologies for digressing from the topic, but I think I needed to provide some more clarity.
scenario7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 14:10   #34425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenario7 View Post
I too own an Etios, manufactured in December 2016. Mine is equipped with airbags manufactured by Autoliv. They had Autoliv branding all over the packaging. .... So, I contacted a friend of mine at TKM and he clearly told that after the Takata fiasco, Toyota, in order to de-risk their operations expanded their supplier portfolio. So, Autoliv was added as another supplier for the safety systems..
Good to know you are safe from the accident and your Etios was not written off.

I believe yours is the Platinum version. Guess, the change happened in the Platinum facelift. My Etios was one of the last of the pre facelift. Didn't want to wait for the Platinum since the delivery would be postponed by a couple of weeks (seems funny considering the present scenario) , the grille was ugly and it didn't have the digital cluster of the Brazilian Etios. Feel stupid now, considering the useful features I missed.

Alongwith the rear three headrests, 3 point seatbelts all round, ISOFIX and I believe strengthening for side impacts were the additions that the Etios platinum had.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks