Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2022, 12:13   #34441
BHPian

Cows on roads in India

Here is another one from a comic written in 1957 about cows in India. It is by the same author of Tintin.

This is from the comic 'The Valley of the Cobras'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ad...ette_and_Jocko

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-zo.jpg

(my earlier post):
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5233844
manim is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 00:06   #34442
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Accident in Malappuram, from what I've heard, all occupants of the two vehicles survived. This is at an inclined turn. Seems to be a case of blind overtaking. Good to see both airbags of the Jazz deployed and the crumple zone seems to have done it's bit. The windshield is cracked pretty significantly on the passenger side inside the Enjoy, maybe a case of passenger without seatbelt.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_2022011800034861_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_2022011800031577_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg  

Last edited by SaiSW : 18th January 2022 at 00:10.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 02:37   #34443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
... maybe a case of passenger without seatbelt.
Scary to see the steering wheel of the Jazz bent to pulp. Just imagine the impact to the driver's head or chest. From the windshield and steering impact, none of the front passengers had put their seatbelts on.
Ditto for the Enjoy's front passenger - no belts for sure.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 03:54   #34444

From a few hours ago.
A VW sedan ploughed into a motorcycle at an intersection/roundabout near infopark, Kakanad.
Plastic and glass lay scattered across the road, several metres away from the initial impact.
The sedan's airbags, passenger side included did deploy and the occupants were not injured. I am unaware of the situation of the chap on the bike but looks bleak from the looks of the wreck.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20220118_012833.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20220118_012848.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20220118_012926.jpg  

Dailyogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 10:38   #34445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Scary to see the steering wheel of the Jazz bent to pulp. Just imagine the impact to the driver's head or chest.
Good catch. I didn't notice the condition of the Jazz's steering wheel as I was in a hurry. It has been deformed pretty significantly. If both front passengers in the Jazz didn't have seatbelts on and those airbags deployed, God knows what could've happened. I've read pretty nasty things about airbags deploying in cars without properly belted in passengers.
Old 19th January 2022, 19:59   #34446
BHPian

The fault lies with aggressively overtaking vehicles. There is no reason for people driving in their lane peacefully to brake and give way to rash drivers. The overtaking should not result in dangerous conditions for incoming traffic. When faced with such situations, I make my stance clear that I will not give way, honk and/or flash the headlights, and stay well in my lane. This scares away most rash drivers. But I am always prepared to give way at the last moment. It does scare my dad if he is sitting in the left front seat!
heysac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 21:46   #34447
Senior - BHPian

Received on WhatsApp, not sure if delivery went wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-thar.jpeg  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 10:04   #34448
BHPian

Car hits two bikers trying to cross the Pollachi- Udumalpet Highway. Bikers are admitted to hospital and the car driver is arrested for reckless driving

I’m surprised that the driver would have seen the lorry and the bikers any why he didn’t slow down?
saisree is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 10:33   #34449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Car hits two bikers trying to cross the Pollachi- Udumalpet Highway. Bikers are admitted to hospital and the car driver is arrested for reckless driving

I’m surprised that the driver would have seen the lorry and the bikers any why he didn’t slow down?
https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=Bc7rB7qnt0A
This is recklessness of the highest order. There is a crossing, the truck just passed and there are bikes waiting to cross - all these three things should have made the car to slowdown considerably from a distance. The truck wasn't a small lorry either.

Hope bikes (though without protection) are ok and the car driver pays for his deeds.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 10:47   #34450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Received on WhatsApp, not sure if delivery went wrong
This looks like the India Garage showroom on Palace cross road in Bangalore. If it is, then it is a display vehicle and not for delivery since delivery happens in the basement below.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 12:48   #34451
BHPian

Quote:
looks like more like a misjudgement. Car would've slowed initially and hence, the biker would've thought that the car will stop if he jumps in and since the bikers were waiting on both sides initially and th lorry has almost passed, the car guy thought he's clear

I'll say both are at fault.

As it is a junction, the car should've slowed down even more to avoid mishaps like this and the other side of the lorry would've been a blind spot(so what if a senseless auto or a kid trying to cross the road - the car driver wouldn't have known till the last moment). And the biker, knowing that a 1+ tonne vehicle is on road, still decided to jump hoping that 1 tonne will emergency brake and stop

Wasting a few more seconds at that junction by either of those 2 would've saved their weeks/months/years of suffering but those they prioritised to save those seconds

Technically, the car guy is on the right though as he has the right of way
shravansp24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 13:20   #34452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=Bc7rB7qnt0A
Classic case of overspeeding by car and stupidity on part of bikers.
Wearing helmet is like a sin to these bikers, and looking before crossing is considered a crime. Only if they had looked before crossing and car would have slowed down at the crossing all parties would have escaped it. However, only car driver will be penalised as bigger vehicle at fault scenario in India.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 13:32   #34453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It takes two to tango. Stupid car driver not slowing down for the junction, and stupid biker for abruptly stopping in the carriageway.
KiloAlpha is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 13:56   #34454
Senior - BHPian

I assume the car driver assumed that the biker would continue to move forward and the biker assumed if he stopped then car driver would pass in front of him which reminds me of the old saying, never assume as it makes an ass of u and me!

That was a bad hit and hope the bikers are ok.

Always, always slow down at intersections.
Old 20th January 2022, 15:27   #34455
BHPian

This is a common problem in many Indian highways. Partly the fault is with NHAI; in such open highways outside city limits, there should be no village road crossings. Period. Make it an underpass using a culvert, it's not that expensive to build this.

For existing roads where the mess is already made, the NHAI should put up chicanes before such crossings. They charge a bomb for advertisements on these, so what is stopping them apart from lethargy is something more mysterious than what's inside a blackhole.

Given the pathetic highways that we have, we as safe drivers can only do the following:

1. Slow down on intersections; slow-down even more if you see vehicles on the side
2. Honk, flash lights and create a "ruckus" to make yourself extremely visible; no shame in this, not on Indian roads

That hit was really REALLY bad. And neither of them were wearing helmets. The rider seems to have hit his head on the tarmac as well after the ricochet from the car. If they survive, they are looking at months of recovery. So sad. :(

Last edited by krishnakumar : 20th January 2022 at 15:30.
krishnakumar is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks