Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 14:05   #34486
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
No its not just you, the bus drivers are absolutely crazy here, especially in North Kerala. And yeah, as is being proven every single day, they are above the law.

And their behaviour has gotten worse over the years. I believe its partly due to thethey are above the law anyways
Southern Kerala is no different, the driver ego is huge, I really don't know why, once I was in a fast passenger bus, they have a bit less stops on the way, the driver took umbrage to the fact that a private Volvo bus had overtaken him, he drove so rashly to somehow "win" but to his utter dismay the next bus stop had come and he had to reluctantly stop the bus, albeit a good 100 metres from the stop, I thought maybe some fresh young driver, to my horror it was a middle aged man as the driver! They drive with the assumption that the opposite vehicle will give then way, even to the extent of going off the road for them, Kerala roads are anyways a joke, the highways are no broader than a normal city road! Private bus drivers are not poor cousins at all, not very sure what fuels their ego.
aspire is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 14:09   #34487
Senior - BHPian

There was an accident o Mathura Road in Faridabad (bang opposite 36 Toyota Showroom) after 9 am this morning. One person was dead & there was a huge traffic jam due to same. It seems another vehicle had hit the person or the latter was riding a bike which got hit. To be honest it's a hotspot for jaywalkers & 2/3-wheeler due to merging traffic & passengers waiting for pickup at this point. Moreover, 2/3-wheeler riders these days throw caution to wind on this entire stretch. Any mistake by a bigger vehicle & it's lethal many time.

Unfortunate soul... RIP
Old 25th January 2022, 14:58   #34488
Senior - BHPian

Seven MBBS students were killed in an accident in Maharashtra's Wardha - News.

Quote:
Seven MBBS students, including the son of a BJP MLA, were killed in Maharashtra's Wardha district in the wee hours of Tuesday (January 25, 2022) when their car fell off a bridge.

The incident occurred near Selsura village, 77 km away from Nagpur and an official informed that all seven students died on the spot.
. . .

According to Police, they were returning from neighbouring Yavatmal district after celebrating a birthday of a student.

Due to the impact of the crash, the SUV was reduced to pulp.

All the deceased were students of the Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College.
May the departed souls rest in peace.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 17:04   #34489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
In this case, the said van is used for transporting seafood. They are also known for their rash driving. For them reaching the destination is paramount and most of such vehicles are driven very recklessly.
Got your point, but in this case, the Van driver is at no fault. In fact, he did use double (read manual ABS) break to halt the Van. But, I guess Bus driver couldn't hit the brakes in time.

If we complain to the Authorities, all they do is put speed breakers and nothing else. Road discipline plays an important role in 2 lane roads, and it rests with the Drivers.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 17:58   #34490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

The impact is just horrendous and gives a good perspective on the forces behind high speed collisions.

If you observe closely, the van came to a full stop, just before the impact. What more was he supposed to do?

Last edited by akshye : 27th January 2022 at 17:59.
akshye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 18:15   #34491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
If you observe closely, the van came to a full stop, just before the impact. What more was he supposed to do?
Of course. Which is why we blamed the bus driver and the narrow congested roads here for the problem.

It's a pain to be driving during sane hours in Kerala. For my work which required travelling, i always took the train. Driving gave me nightmares. But a chance to take the car over the border and onto TN, then by all means yes

For example, Trivandrum to Kollam on the national highway is a distance of 60 odd kms. Will take 2hrs.

Trivandrum to Kaliyakkavalai (TN Border) is just a distance of 35 odd kms and will take near on 1.5hrs and that too on the highway.

Distance seldom makes sense here. Time taken between towns are what is hardwired into our heads.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 19:57   #34492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Is it me or the bus drivers in Kerala just plain crazy when it comes to safe driving.
The incentive structure for private bus staff in Kerala promote rash driving. The problem can be solved only by a complete overhaul of the bus-based public mass transport system of the state. Which the government is hardly in a position to do.
Old 28th January 2022, 12:06   #34493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
This is from my friend's dashcam.
Looks like the car took the impact rather well, truck with all that load would have easily been 20 times heavier, which makes it even more impressive.

At the end of the day, luck was surely on the driver's side. But this also makes me think of all those online articles about poor build quality cherry pick the worst models from Maruti's stable.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 28th January 2022 at 12:08.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 16:49   #34494
BHPian

Harrier splits in two. Another incident of extremely reckless driving. Three persons lose their lives. Multiple vehicles damaged.

https://www.carblogindia.com/tata-ha...-two-accident/
John is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 18:49   #34495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Seven MBBS students were killed in an accident in Maharashtra's Wardha.
The Mahindra XUV500 according to the police was doing 140-150 kmph before it hit the bridge boundary and plunged into the 40 feet river bed killing all the occupants who were in their early 20's. All had severe head injuries. This figure (140-150 kmph) was arrived at, as per statements of some who had seen it moving in the dead of the night. A birthday celebration turned tragic for the seven medical students/ intern. The accident happened at 1.30 am near village Selsura, Wardha dist, just 20 kms from their destination. They were studying at a medical college in Wardha and had gone to Yavatmal town for the celebrations. One amongst the killed was a sitting MLA's (from Tirora, Bhandara dist) son. Three hours were spent in retrieving bodies by the police from the crashed SUV.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/video...100659482.html

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/89107124.cms
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 19:12   #34496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Mahindra XUV500 according to the police was doing 140-150 kmph...This figure (140-150 kmph) was arrived at, as per statements of some who had seen it moving in the dead of the night.
It is seen in the remains too, both speedo and rpm says it:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-xuv.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 09:25   #34497

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
It is seen in the remains too, both speedo and rpm says it:

Attachment 2266528
Lack of reflectors or any set standards on the national highways coupled with the oncoming traffics high beam light mode can dazzle anybody. We learn with our experiences, and that too if we survive a bad experience on the road. Presence of mind is a key aspect as there is no margin of error while driving on our so called national highways!
Old 30th January 2022, 10:30   #34498
BHPian

A minor accident. The driver on the car was a bit careless and I was hesitant to overtake, after following for 4-5km, this happened. The other driver did not stop and drove away. The car driver tried following but somehow he was not able to catch up even though the truck wasn't being driven fast. I could not share the video with car driver as he did not stop for next 2km to assess the damage and I had to take a turn from the junction. There is a decent-sized dent on the car.

Old 30th January 2022, 11:21   #34499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
The driver on the car was a bit careless
Just when the other vehicle was almost done overtaking, the car came to the right to avoid the poles on the road. This resulted in the minor contact between the vehicles.

The car driver ought to have braked and let the overtaking be completed before coming to its right.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 13:26   #34500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
A minor accident. The driver on the car was a bit careless
The cab was following the curve but the commercial vehicle decided to overtake and go straight instead of following the curve and entered the left lane even before the overtake was complete. I feel the commercial vehicle is at fault.

Most Viewed