Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2022, 14:35   #34501
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The truck driver appears to be driving rashly. Looks to me like he should not have overtaken in the face of the oncoming bike. Could it be that the bike is the reason that the truck cuts in front of the car?
Old 31st January 2022, 01:13   #34502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Harrier splits in two. Another incident of extremely reckless driving. Three persons lose their lives. Multiple vehicles damaged.

https://www.carblogindia.com/tata-ha...-two-accident/
I saw the mangled remains of the Harrier yesterday i.e. on 30.1.2022. I was driving from Prayagraj towards Varanasi on the Six Lane Prayagraj - Varanasi part of the Golden Quadrilateral. The car’s destroyed body was resting on the divider. It was destroyed beyond recognition. I hope, after this tragic accident, people will stop abusing Kia Seltos for breaking into two pieces. Extreme high speed can break any car!
This highway is sublime. A haven for speedsters. However, one should always drive sensibly. Doing extreme high speeds of 190-200 km/hr is not at all advisable on any Indian road due to lack of civic sense in common public.
akn1984 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 09:56   #34503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akn1984 View Post
people will stop abusing Kia Seltos for breaking into two pieces. Extreme high speed can break any car!
Very true! And not just speed. Improper highway barrier design can also break a car into two. The Kia Seltos was split open by a concrete barrier that's shaped like a knife. I mean, one has to be driving a tank to not get sheared by something like that.

The below video explains this in detail and I had posted this earlier when this accident topic was on fire. Our NHAI and their contractors, can't even get the road surface right let alone nuances like impact absorbing barriers.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 31st January 2022 at 09:58.
krishnakumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:23   #34504
BHPian

2 people travelling in their car luckily survived with minor injuries when their car got crushed between two tipper trucks in Chennai. The lorry driver also got minor injury and all 3 of them were taken to hospital!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st February 2022 at 21:54. Reason: dipper > tipper
jeganatu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:42   #34505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
2 people travelling in their car luckily survived with minor injuries when their car got crushed between two tipper trucks in Chennai.
The tipper lorry behind the car was slightly to the left side, and this saved the car and its occupants from more severe damage. Whether the lorry driver did it on purpose to try to save the car is not clear.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st February 2022 at 21:54. Reason: Quoted post edited.
adisan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 14:15   #34506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Harrier splits in two. Another incident of extremely reckless driving. Three persons lose their lives. Multiple vehicles damaged.

https://www.carblogindia.com/tata-ha...-two-accident/
The video displays a strip saying "Tata Harrier ka desi loha fail ?" meaning "Local steel of Tata Harrier failed ?"

These fool youtubers will say and write anything to get more views. No logic No sense.
AutoNoob is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 14:20   #34507
Senior - BHPian

Another accident by underage driver

I would blame bad parenting for allowing underage driver to drive. Hope suitable punishment is given. RIP the departed souls.

Three minors arrested in Telangana for running over women sitting on footpath.

Quote:
Hours after four women were killed in a tragic road accident in Telangana’s Karimnagar district, police arrested three minors travelling in the car, as well as the car owner whose son was driving the car at the time of the accident. On the morning of January 30, Sunday, four women were killed and three others were injured when an over-speeding car ran over a group of workers sitting on the pavement near Kaman Chowrasta on the Karimnagar-Hyderabad highway. The occupants of the SUV had fled the accident site. Karimnagar police said that the owner of the car and the father of the 16-year-old driving the car initially told the police that he had been driving the car, but investigation revealed that it was three minors who were directly involved in the accident.

. . .

According to IANS, preliminary investigation revealed that the SUV had eight challans pending against it for over speeding/dangerous driving. The e-challans were issued under the limits of different police stations of Cyberabad, Siddipet and Karimnagar over the last four years.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 16:36   #34508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
The video displays a strip saying "Tata Harrier ka desi loha fail ?" meaning "Local steel of Tata Harrier failed ?"

These fool Youtubers will say and write anything to get more views. No logic No sense.
Sarcastic reference to a similar incident where a Seltos was involved. Indian steel vs Korean steel
Old 31st January 2022, 18:46   #34509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Seven MBBS students were killed in an accident in Maharashtra's Wardha - News.

May the departed souls rest in peace.
A new video has come up which clearly shows how much the guys were overspeeding. Young age, money and combined with alcohol is a bad bad combination almost certainly resulting in death ! The only positive outcome of this is no other innocent soul was lost because of the recklessness of these guys.

Overspeeding XUV accident in Wardha
Akshay6988 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 22:05   #34510
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20220131215721.jpg

This happened to a relative family of ours yesterday when they were driving from Kottayam to Kochi in their 2020 Tigor. The driver dozed off, car hit an electric pole and turned turtle. Both airbags deployed and all of them were saved. The 2 front passengers suffered minor injuries while the 2 rear passengers suffered broken bones on their shoulders. All of them just recovered from Covid so I believe after effects might still have been there.

I guess this is a gentle reminder to all of us who drive long distances to check up on ourselves and take a break or even refrain from hopping into the driver's seat incase we don't feel good.

Pic Source : From the local daily

Cheers !!!
aswin ajith is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 22:54   #34511
BHPian

Video is in Tamil. As per the video, Doctor and his mother travelling in Thar tried to give way for speeding Skoda Rapid and in that process Thar lost control and hit tree. But I think Rapid might have hit Thar while overtaking which resulted in this mishap. Its really unfortunate to lose two souls for no mistake of theirs.
VigneshMC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 23:47   #34512
Senior - BHPian

Five people killed on old Mumbai-Pune highway near Lonavala. Looks like Ford Ecosport. The driver lost control over the vehicle and jumped the median crashing head-on into a truck. The truck driver escaped with minor injuries.

I frequently travel on this road and it is usually busy with traffic on both sides to drive so fast so as to lose control. Unfortunate.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 03:21   #34513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I am surprised the authorities don't do anything to keep this in check.
What can they do? Fines and checks are in place. For what is a small state, they probably have the most number of speed cameras on the road. It has still not put any fear or sense into people (Maybe some have). The attitude is, when I am on the road, I own it and I will drive as I wish.

Rash driving is nothing new to the State. I've experienced this sort of behavior on the road from the age of 10. Forget ego clashes. I've seen over loaded jeeps carrying families topple due to speed! There were children in that Jeep. If you don't care about yourself, at least think of your child. Out of ten people crammed into that jeep, someone has to have the sense to inform the driver to slow down. I guess there is fear to even talk to those drivers cause that becomes another ego problem. Who are you to tell me how to drive. Its my jeep. I find it hard to believe nobody has that sense. They were not racing anyone. They think their Jeeps can corner like a Ferrari!

I have given up on any possible improvement the State can gain for road safety. There is no room to build better, safer roads. Roads cannot be widened. Everyone is in a hurry to reach their destinations.

The longest and only stretch of expressway road is 150km. Between Cochin and Walayar. The first 70km of the road, starting from Cochin to Trichur, is a joke. You never feel like you're on a highway. Its chock-a-block. This is probably the only stretch of road that can be called relatively safe. There are two reasons nobody guns it here;
  • Speed cameras
  • Mileage

You want to travel within the State, catch a train. It is hands down the fastest and safest means to travel within (Or to) Kerala. I ain't going to buy the argument of last mile connectivity being an inconvenience. Between eating my food through a straw for the rest of my life (or worse, getting killed) versus staying alive, its the latter for me.

I've mentioned this a few times before. If Kerala needs to expand their highway network and make it safer, they need to look up. Build an elevated corridor covering the metropolitan cities to start with. This will reduce some of the vehicle load from the current saturated highway network. This is easier said than done. The State is broke as is and they are pursuing high speed rail.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 1st February 2022 at 03:22.
sandeepmohan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 10:36   #34514
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes I wonder if there should be a graded licensing process for private vehicles. Every 5 years or so, there should be a graded test for private car owners- you can start with a license to drive a 1.0 litre/75 bhp or below car, then move from 1 litre to 1.5 litre (75-120 bhp) and then higher from 1.5 litre (120-180 bhp ). A similar grading should apply for 2 wheelers.
The fact that one can learn driving on a Maruti 800/Scooty and then get on to a brand new 200 BHP XUV700 or a Hayabusa, just because of availability of financial means , potentially at the age of 18, is a bit troubling for me.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 10:50   #34515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
The driver lost control over the vehicle and jumped the median crashing head-on into a truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VigneshMC View Post
Doctor and his mother travelling in Thar tried to give way for speeding Skoda Rapid and in that process Thar lost control and hit tree.
For any vehicle, another vehicle suddenly jumping the median and crashing into them, especially at high speeds, is one of the most unfortunate things that can happen. There is practically nothing that they can do to anticipate or avoid such a thing.

Sadly such mishaps seem to keep happening.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed