Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2022, 18:14   #34531
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Not slowing down when there is a toll booth ahead with vehicles standing, looks like he was on a suicide mission unless either the accelerator jammed or brakes failed, maybe even both. RIP.
The chances of:
1)Aceelerator getting jammed are like 1 in 10000
2) Chances of all brake channels (there are multiple redundant channels) failing are 1 in 100000

Chances of both happening at the same time are 1 in a billion.
Most likely the driver simply slept or had a medical emergency
StopUnderrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 20:02   #34532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
Most likely the driver simply slept or had a medical emergency
The driver possibly dozed off. If we go by the reports and starting place mentioned in it, the driver was a 65 year old gentleman and had apparently driven already 300+ kms since they started the journey that day. if that is the case, then certainly would have got tired and dozed off.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 21:00   #34533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
The chances of:

2) Chances of all brake channels (there are multiple redundant channels) failing are 1 in 100000
From the picture that car seems to be a Manza. If so, I had faced a deadly brake failure once while driving on hills. The brake booster along with cylinder failed.
sreerknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 21:54   #34534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The driver possibly dozed off. If we go by the reports and starting place mentioned in it, the driver was a 65 year old gentleman and had apparently driven already 300+ kms since they started the journey that day. if that is the case, then certainly would have got tired and dozed off.
I have my doubts because if a driver dozes off, surely his foot comes off the accelerator and also, he won't also be going in a relatively straight line as it happens here. The car actually looks like it's accelerating as it reaches the toll booth. Other probability is that instead of pressing the brakes, he pressed the accelerator. Anyways, its all surmise now, no one is really going to know what actually happened in those final fatal moments.
kannan666 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 15:42   #34535
Distinguished - BHPian

Three passengers aboard a Hyundai Verna were killed when the car collided with a "trolley?" in Rohtak dist, Haryana, according to a tweet by ANI. The Verna has been ripped apart and it's front part till the "B" pillar has bore the burnt of the impact.

Quote:

Haryana | 3 people died in a collision between a vehicle and a trolley near Lahli village in Rohtak.

All three bodies have been sent to Rohtak PGI Hospital for post-mortem and one injured person is admitted there. The investigation is being done: Kalanaur SHO Sushila
(05.02) https://t.co/aL9ExqPf3H
What do the media persons mean by "trolley" is though not clear in the ANI tweet above as only the Verna and a police Bolero are seen in the four tweeter images. But this news report clarifies that it was a tractor trolley. One survivor was hospitalised. The speeding car hit the tractor trolley from behind.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...370-2022-02-06

Quote:
According to the police, the car was returning from Bhiwani and it collided with a tractor-trolley loaded with sugarcane near Lahli village. The dead bodies have been sent to PGIMS Rohtak for post-mortem.

One of the deceased has been identified as Vivek, a resident of Chunnipura in Rohtak, while another is said to be from Zirakpur in Punjab. The third youth has not been identified.

The Kalanaur police station is investigating the matter to ascertain the cause of the accident.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 19:12   #34536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Three passengers aboard a Hyundai Verna were killed when the car collided with a "trolley?" in Rohtak dist, Haryana, according to a tweet by ANI. The Verna has been ripped apart and it's front part till the "B" pillar has bore the burnt of the impact.

What do the media persons mean by "trolley" is though not clear in the ANI tweet above as only the Verna and a police Bolero are seen in the four tweeter images. But this news report clarifies that it was a tractor trolley. One survivor was hospitalised. The speeding car hit the tractor trolley from behind.
Reminds me of my friend's accident somewhere near Meerut around 15 years ago. They were traveling to attend another friend's marriage in the hinterland & it was late night. Probably these 3 chaps were also high on beer that they were carrying. It was well past dark when illegal woodcutters were loading their tractor trolley with their bounty. These guys crashed head on in their Maruti 800 with the trolley. In fact, next morning the car could be taken out only after unloading the trolley. A budding lawyer paying price of misfortune & cunningness of not so poor & simple villagers.
Old 7th February 2022, 03:35   #34537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The driver possibly dozed off. ...had apparently driven already 300+ kms since they started ...would have got tired and dozed off.
The video doesn't show any speed breaker that typically should be present before approaching a toll booth.
Its very likely the driver dozed off, there are no indication of any braking or swerving and the car seems to be cruizing at the same speed until the impact. Dozing behind the wheel is very risky once fatigue sets in.

The cars that slowed down in the other lane were extremely lucky. Its dreadful to imagine the consequences had the car rammed the cars at the toll. Slowing down/stopping on the highways for whatever reason is so dangerous, the chances of getting rear ended increases considerably.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 7th February 2022 at 03:36.
Old 7th February 2022, 10:17   #34538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
And what caused that sudden swerve before the inevitable fall?
Broken tie rod.
Just before the swerve you can see the front LH wheel turn while the RH wheel remains straight.

This is a very common problem, but remains under reported, as many think tierod broke due to the crash.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 11:10   #34539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Broken tie rod.
Just before the swerve you can see the front LH wheel turn while the RH wheel remains straight.

This is a very common problem, but remains under reported, as many think tierod broke due to the crash.

Rahul
That's scary and since you mention it is a common problem, coincidentally my tjet has some weird thudding sounds from the front right and service advisor said it might be a tie rod issue.

Sent it for inspection now :(
Old 7th February 2022, 21:11   #34540
Senior - BHPian

Many things done wrong and eventually gone wrong

sarathlal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 08:19   #34541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
What an horrible accident!
It feels like the van was in the correct lane and the bus was on the wrong lane.
Was the bus trying to overtake the white Swift? (around 50-55 seconds into the video)
Very scary to see. Two 2-wheeler folks also injured due to no fault of their own.
May the departed soul rest in peace and the survivors recover to good health soon.
Ofcourse he was trying to overtake the car. Most bus drivers in Kerala drive like the roads belong to them and THEM ONLY. Rascals. I cannot imagine the amount of times these murderers have tried to kill me on the roads by coming through the wrong side (even in blind turns) and I've given them a very colourful earful everytime they have stopped beside me because there was no way to proceed (not because I was stubborn and didn't give way, but because there genuinely was no space for me to give way)

The next time I meet one of these over speeding murderers, I'll be ruining his life by taking him to court. I've decided that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Southern Kerala is no different,.
True, I think. Although these killers are a lot more mild or maybe put under control by the police, in Trivandrum municipal areas. I think the police there have done a good job of controlling their egos to the ground. I haven't seen a lot of TVM outside the main city areas, so I don't know how they behave outside it though.

Last edited by SaiSW : 8th February 2022 at 08:27.
Old 8th February 2022, 10:18   #34542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Many things done wrong and eventually gone wrong
Observed the below frequently in two-wheeler riders:
  • Riding a bit faster than would be safe for the conditions
  • When they see a vehicle/ pedestrian/ animal crossing their path, they try to go past it before it crosses their path, even if they have to force it to stop. In many cases it would be safer to allow it to cross while passing it from the other side.
The bad thing is some four-wheelers also exhibit the above behaviour occasionally. In addition, they also weave in and out of traffic like two-wheelers.

This causes mishaps and trouble for themselves and others.
Old 8th February 2022, 12:03   #34543
Senior - BHPian

A tragic mishap in Kerala that killed two on a bike. May the two young souls RIP.

The wayward driving of the KSRTC bus driver clearly appears to be the cause of the accident.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 8th February 2022 at 12:07.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 12:19   #34544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
A tragic mishap in Kerala that killed two on a bike. May the two young souls RIP.

The wayward driving of the KSRTC bus driver clearly appears to be the cause of the accident.
What a ghastly way to go :(

We had a thread discussing about slow moving trucks on the fast lane and this video could be an indication of the dangers that can arise because of that.

Also wish the bikers were on the extreme left which would have allowed the KSRTC to pass them by.

Then again, KSRTC should have waited for a clear chance to overtake them and ultimately the poor bikers paid the price.

deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 13:15   #34545
Senior - BHPian

Closure on the accident & the subsequent repairs detailed in this post (Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)) on my ownership thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks