Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 20:45   #34666
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Any idea if the lorry was parked/stopped close to the kerb or at the centre of the road? we can see a white discontinuous line where the car eventually crashed- could this be the centre line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Google Maps satellite view of the area shows one section where the shoulder line is dotted and median line is solid. This seems to be exactly there.
Correct. It is the same location. Slight right steering adjustment is required there. (Car direction marked in blue and truck was parked at the position marked in red)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-road.png  

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th February 2022 at 20:46.
Latheesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 21:18   #34667
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
their car crashed in to a parked truck at 2.30 a.m.
from the video, looks like the truck was parked on a 'siding' (dotted line), and most probably the camera shown area is after a right hand curve. I think the car was too fast and understeered.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 21:58   #34668
BHPian

A Brezza hits a Nilgai and the poor animal gets stuck inside the car!
NOTE: VISUALS MIGHT BE DISTURBING FOR SOME VIEWERS

Mods, please take necessary action if you find the post inappropriate.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th February 2022 at 23:00. Reason: As requested
Emvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 23:29   #34669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
T Cattle on the other hand are owned by people and so there should be a law to not to allow your cattle on roads/highways for grazing and also penalties/IPC code for the owner if the cattle leads to an accident. While cattle is insured (as we just learned on this thread), the owner should be liable to pay for damages to the other party too.
Section 289 of the Indian Penal Code provides that negligence with respect to an animal in one's possession which causes grievous hurt or danger to human life is punishable with imprisonment for up to 6 months or with a fine of ₹1k or both.

You have a tortious cause of action against the owner of the animal as well against which you can claim compensation.

Whether this will yield anything of value remains to be seen. These punishments and values are from 1860 when the Act was originally enacted. The government has been talking about a complete revision of the IPC and has invited suggestions on it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
One of my biggest pet peeves is bikers wearing those half helmets.
Now I know that in this ungodly heat, people prefer those half-helmets or beanie helmets.
With that, I'm silently steaming in rage whenever I see someone wearing a half helmet.
Speaking of half helmets, I have one that I used for a short while. I got it free with my bike and in matching colours. It looked nice but it didn't fit snug and after watching Fortnine's videos on helmet standards I wanted to get a proper one but I kept putting it away. I always ride with a balaclava on so that it serves as a mask and also keeps my sweat etc. from being absorbed by the helmet.
This once I was travelling on this road which has a lot of loose gravel. The vehicle in front kicked some up and it hit me on my lips and chin. It hurt but thanks to the balaclava it wasn't too bad. I then sped up my search for a full face helmet and ended up getting a Bell.

People keep telling how "cool" my half face helmet looked and that I should wear that but now I know better.

I've seen a lot of people wear helmets only when they see a cop or know there's one around the corner and otherwise its on their forearm or tank etc. People don't seem to realise how essential a helmet is for 2 wheeler riding. It pointless to bring up the phrase "just because you have brakes doesn't mean you shouldn't wear a seatbelt because they probably don't wear that either."

Our driver, who is now of course accustomed to it, had a big problem with seat belts. As soon as we would cross over into Tamil Nadu from Kerala, he would remove it. But since the newer cars have got these blaring alarms when the seat belt is not worn, he had no choice and is now used to it.

Once again, speaking of pet peeves, for me its the people, especially kids, standing through the sun roof of the car while the driver is zooming away to glory. Loose gravel or small rocks can get thrown up by vehicles in front which can hurt them quite badly. There could be low hanging branches and what not that could also prove to be dangerous.

I understand the appeal of sticking your bare head out into the wind but I don't understand how one can trade one's own safety or allow their children to do that.
adwaith is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 23:49   #34670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
XUV700 has both radar and camera but if I look at the disclaimer list from Mahindra, it gives me a feeling that it is a predominantly camera-based system. Radar is just used to confirm what the camera has detected. It's like if the camera says 'there is obstacle' and radar also says 'there is obstacle', then the probability of an obstacle goes up. But if the camera says 'there is no obstacle', then the system assumes there is no obstacle. I could be wrong but without knowing really how it is implemented, it is all guesswork.
One example from disclaimer list, 'all kinds of vehicles are not detected' or 'only the rear of the vehicles are identified'. Radar can easily detect (distance, velocity, and direction) but it may not classify it correctly but it can still detect.
Having seen a little ADAS system development from up close, I have some idea of how it works. The object detection and classification will be a fusion of radar + camera and not that one system will override the other as assumed above.
Cameras are very bad in low visibility conditions like fog, snow, rain, etc. and this is where the radar has a huge advantage. The 'camera only' functions are sight functions like lane assist, speed sign recognition, etc.

The example quoted from the disclaimer list is more to do with classification after detection. Based on the object detected the reaction is sometimes different. For e.g, a object identified as a 2W or a VRU (vulnerable road user) coming into the lane will have a faster reaction time. A very Indian context to this could be a cow on the road is detected but classified as a vehicle and the reaction time is slower resulting in a collision.
fiat_tarun is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 00:47   #34671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post

Once again, speaking of pet peeves, for me its the people, especially kids, standing through the sun roof of the car while the driver is zooming away to glory.
I might probably be old fashioned, but I really do not see the point in having a sunroof, especially in my use case - where I drive in broad daylight in predominantly sunny regions and I get enough Vitamin D.
This is just my personal opinion (and no offence intended), but I feel it's a thoroughly overrated and over-marketed feature and most owners might lose interest in it after a few months. Maybe manufacturers find it easier to plonk a sunroof than to make a stronger car from the ground up (yes, looking at you, Hyundai/Kia). Any day, I'd personally prefer a non-sunroof variant of any car.
I see several instances where there's a head poking out of that sunroof and all I can think of is: One horribly placed branch is enough to cause a tragedy.
These sunroofs should ideally have an offensively blaring alarm when they sense some object sticking out while they're open. That'll probably annoy people into being safer.
Small Bot is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 09:51   #34672
BHPian

Former cricketer Vinod Kambli was arrested yesterday for drunk driving. He also hit another car and the society’s gate. Vinod Kambli was taken into custody and was investigated at the Bandra Police Station.

Link to news :

https://www.cartoq.com/former-cricke...other-car/amp/
BLACNWYTE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 09:56   #34673
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like internet sensation Bhuban Bhadyakar has crashed his newly purchased car when learning to drive.

https://www.news18.com/news/movies/k...l-4820813.html
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 17:35   #34674

Almost exactly a similar incident happened to me on my way to Canacona from Madgaon many years back. I was coming back from a wedding, a friend was in the front seat, wife and toddler kid in the back, was fairly late in the night, Right around the Karmal Ghat, suddenly a cow jumped up from the side of the road into the centre of it.

Funny thing, my friend and wife could spot the cow, while I couldn't even after I hit her. I drove the car around 25 km, since we thought if we stopped the locals will assemble and create a scene, my friend had really enjoyed the party. and was blabbering all the while. The next day, called Ford (I was in a Ford Fusion), they towed the vehicle 90 km to Panjim, it tool 15 days and almost 2 Lakh in bills, but Ford doesn't really repair it, they just replace it. The airbags didn't deploy, although the front boot got bashed up real bad.
Old 2nd March 2022, 15:04   #34675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post

I understand the appeal of sticking your bare head out into the wind but I don't understand how one can trade one's own safety or allow their children to do that.
Exactly! A very horrific accident happened in Delhi in 2016 because the kids were allowed to stick their head out of sunroof.

Quoting from the article - Glass-coated kite strings (manja) tragically ended two young lives -one a three-year-old girl and the other a four-year-old boy -in separate but bizarrely similar incidents in the city on I-Day

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/53731979.cms

Last edited by Dhillon : 2nd March 2022 at 15:05. Reason: More Information added
Dhillon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 06:51   #34676
BHPian

I saw this accident scene yesterday (02-03-2022) morning on NH-65 around 12 km after toll-road section starts near Choutuppal on the way towards Vijayawada, AP.

A bus from Orange Travels towards Hyderabad jumped across the median and hit a car going towards Vijayawada at a high speed killing one on the spot.

This accident is also covered in https://telanganatoday.com/3-killed-...s-in-telangana

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 3rd March 2022 at 06:52.
TrueDreamer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:17   #34677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
So, I managed to extract footage from the dash cam

The only clue is the Dezire in the left lane hitting the brakes.
I'd like to share an incident.
I'm a small city rider but I was in Delhi back in 2015, going to BIC Racetrack, G. Noida on my Duke 390.

Was doing in lane riding at about 70 kmph on Delhi outskirt roads, as everyone else was. Was following the car ahead, everything going smooth and disciplined (unlike small city traffic).

Suddenly, the car ahead steered left-right in sudden movements not changing lanes as such, but I got alert on seeing this.
Moments later, an (already) dead dog's corpse suddenly appeared from underneath the car. At 70 kmph. As I was already alert, I swevered out of the way in time, or I would've crashed for sure.

While Mr. IP's advice (as given in the TBHP article) is absolutely correct (and thank you for sharing it), if you're the guy behind like the Innova guy, you better watch out for sudden movements of the vehicle ahead of you. It might help.
Samarth 619 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:32   #34678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefvikas View Post
Funny thing, my friend and wife could spot the cow, while I couldn't even after I hit her.
At night, I usually make judicious use of the high-beams in roads that are not well-lit. It has saved me on a few occasions when a cyclist, a pedestrian or a vehicle without functioning lamps would not have been visible till the last moment with low-beams.
adisan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:48   #34679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
I saw this accident scene yesterday (02-03-2022) morning on NH-65 around 12 km after toll-road section starts near Choutuppal on the way towards Vijayawada, AP.
I also saw this unfortunate accident yesterday morning around 7 while I was driving to Vijayawada .

So we were perplexed as to how the accident occurred even though it appeared the bus jumped the median, as were unable to believe the bus could have jumped.

But now, after reading this, I feel sorry for the unfortunate car which could have been any of us.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 3rd March 2022 at 11:04. Reason: Removing video in the quote
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:57   #34680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
I'd like to share an incident.

While Mr. IP's advice (as given in the TBHP article) is absolutely correct (and thank you for sharing it), if you're the guy behind like the Innova guy, you better watch out for sudden movements of the vehicle ahead of you. It might help.
If I may add, 2 wheeler riders should never follow a 4 or or more wheeler, in between the tracks of the wheels, either stay on one of the tracks or better still, at on offset from the leading vehicle. This allows you to avoid potholes, stones and other obstacles that the 4 wheeler will happily drive over, keeping the obstacle/s between his wheels.
goandude is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks