Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:27   #34681
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Elephant offloaded in the middle of the road. Scooterist seeing the animal suddenly, panics, loses control and hits the mahout. Scared elephant runs off. Had she hit the elephant there could have been loss of life
https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...ent-video.html

Last edited by poloman : 3rd March 2022 at 11:30.
poloman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:37   #34682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Had she hit the elephant there could have been loss of life
When I first saw the video on reddit, I assumed it was a woman with a child on platform as well. But upon closer inspection, it seems that the scooter was ridden by a man who collapsed to the platform upon impact.

They indeed got lucky considering the fact that the tusker could've easily trampled them.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20220303113214_youtube.png

I believe this video is mirrored. The lorry and scooter was in the proper lane in the reddit video.

Quote:
But in the news report also they have mentioned a lady was riding the scooter.
That news report is nothing but a description of the video. Not at all surprising since most journalists just need to push out such articles within a deadline and they hardly look deep.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 3rd March 2022 at 11:48.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:42   #34683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
When I first saw the video on reddit, I assumed it was a woman with a child on platform as well. But upon closer inspection, it seems that the scooter was ridden by a man who collapsed to the platform upon impact.

They indeed got lucky considering the fact that the tusker could've easily trampled them.

Attachment 2279876

I believe this video is mirrored. The lorry and scooter was in the proper lane in the reddit video.
Yes looks like that is the case. But in the news report also they have mentioned a lady was riding the scooter.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:08   #34684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
But upon closer inspection, it seems that the scooter was ridden by a man who collapsed to the platform upon impact.
Thanks for pointing out, at first glance it looks like the lady was driving the scooter.

The original video (not mirrored) is available in the news report below.
Quote:
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 09:08   #34685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Thanks for pointing out, at first glance it looks like the lady was driving the scooter.

The original video (not mirrored) is available in the news report below.
This incident has generated lot of trolls and memes (and some making fun of the lady and her driving skills)

1) Yes, the scooter was ridden by a man and seems the video is low quality that people assume it was ridden by the lady (she was sitting behind and her long her getting thrown away gives the wrong impression)
2) There is enough visibility so i am not sure why the rider missed the mahout.

Driving is not a careless task. Need to be focused on the road all the time. Overall, a big mishap just missed !!!
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 12:20   #34686
BHPian

Well whats that? Seriously? Looks like some show-off tactic went wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=4834225713330822

(EDIT: This is Facebook video, not sure how to post it here with preview visible in the post, so need to click on the link to watch it)

Last edited by tbppjpr : 6th March 2022 at 12:22.
Old 6th March 2022, 13:04   #34687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
2) There is enough visibility so i am not sure why the rider missed the mahout.
On watching the video multiple times, it does not seem like the man fell as a result of the impact. Is it that he had a medical emergency or something that caused the incident? The lady has done very well to prevent the bike and herself from falling, given the circumstances.
Old 7th March 2022, 17:59   #34688
BHPian

Happened to come across a Nexon that fell into the road-side gutter. This location is bang next to a park and thus led to a congregation of curious onlookers. Spoke to the owner and he had apparently taken the tight right turn with too much speed and lost control. On further inquiry got to know that he only had a 3rd party cover and his comprehensive insurance had expired a while back. Luckily, no one was hurt.

Site of the location(Arrow marks vehicles location)
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220307165629.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20220307-6.07.40-pm.jpeg

Last edited by MotoBlip : 7th March 2022 at 18:09.
MotoBlip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 18:08   #34689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post

On further inquiry got to know that he only had a 3rd party cover and his comprehensive insurance had expired a while back. Luckily, no one was hurt.
Glad that the owner came out safe! Well, I understand not having comprehensive cover for very old/ about to be salvaged car. But this seems like the updated Nexon Variant. Reminds me of a friend of mine who did not insure his Scorpio S10 SUV and within one month the car got lost from Dwarka, Delhi. It was hardly 2 years old. Now he ensures that all the cars (around 10) in his family are insured

Quote:
Site of the location(Arrow marks vehicles location)
Attachment 2281445
That is quite a sharp right turn. Maybe the driver was distracted? Who knows
Dhillon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 19:50   #34690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I thought it was the opposite for the XUV. I saw this video by Gagan driving in thick fog at 80kmph to showcase how well the ADAS works. The car was able to detect what the driver couldn’t and slow down if there was anything at a distance.

https://Youtu.be/JQllw_Oj_9Q
The curious thing with these systems in India is that they tend to work mostly when one has engaged auto pilot. Having it on my MG ZS (UK version) and having tested it extensively on MG Astor as well as XUV700, I have noticed that the detection of vehicles and pedestrians works fairly well (around 80% accuracy) when you have the adaptive cruise control engaged as I assume the system is then actively looking forward. However, if you don’t have the MG Pilot activated, even though the autonomous emergency braking is turned on, the system tends to ignore practically all objects in the front. Engineers have explained that the sensitivity is likely reduced as we have so many non stop obstacles due to indisciplined traffic and it would lead to constant emergency braking. I have conducted some careful tests where I avoided braking when driving towards a parked car but I have never received any warning or seen the emergency braking take place. Of course I don’t dare push it too close due to safety considerations. In general driving, I see autonomous emergency braking come on very rare occasions. In addition, the systems only recognise certain pre programmed objects. Hence a parked truck with no lights might not be picked up if the auto pilot was not enabled.
I would love to hear about the experience of other drivers.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 20:54   #34691
BHPian

Just received these images through WhatsApp. Not sure where it happened. It's a Tata Punch. Looks like a very bad head on collision.

Mods - please remove this post if deemed necessary
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220308wa0007.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220308wa0006.jpg  

aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 22:04   #34692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Just received these images through WhatsApp. Not sure where it happened. It's a Tata Punch. Looks like a very bad head on collision.
This is said to have happened on the Delhi-Chandigarh National Highway near Kurukshetra. The Punch was doing speeds over 140kmph, when it jumped the divider and collided head on with a Punjab Roadways bus. A woman passenger and her child lost their lives, the husband is said to have sustained major injuries. God rest their soul.

https://www.jagran.com/haryana/panip...-22524343.html
MotoBlip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 03:11   #34693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... over 140kmph, when it jumped the divider
Not refering to the mishap here, but in general, driving at high speed for long periods on the right most lane very close to the one foot high divider is a sure shot recipe for disaster.

All it takes is a slight nudge of the steering to get the right wheel jump to come in contact with the divider and jump over it.
Its a high risk scenario and its always better to use the left and middle lane and use the right lane only for overtaking and return back to the left or middle lane rather than continuing to drive on the right most lane.

Vehicles jumping across the divider is becoming such a frequent occurrence on our highways mostly due to the unscientific design of the divider (apart from the above mentioned driver error).

Rather than having a foot high concrete divider on which the wheel can easily climb over, it should be a steel sheet barricaded fence high enough to deflect the vehicles bumping into it rather than allowing them to jump over it.
Also the practice of growing bushes on the divider attracts grazing animals and adds to the risk.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th March 2022 at 03:15.
for_cars1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 07:36   #34694
Senior - BHPian

It happened with me. I was with a friend in his Nexon on the Tumkur road when a truck from the opposite side jumped the divider at high speed. He saw our car and swerved to his left, to avoid hitting us. The heavily loaded truck toppled on a biker crushing him. All this was captured on the dashcam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Vehicles jumping across the divider is becoming such a frequent occurrence on our highways mostly due to the unscientific design of the divider (apart from the above mentioned driver error).
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 16:06   #34695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The heavily loaded truck toppled on a biker crushing him. All this was captured on the dashcam.
Thank God you guys escaped from it. May the biker's soul RIP. If you don't mind, can you share the dashcam video?
Dhillon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed