Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2022, 11:22   #34846
BHPian

Re: Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The end result is for all to see. The tweet by @motowagen has attracted 201K views, 135 retweets and 31 quote retweets (including one by Anand Mahindra) and 848 likes within two hours, as of now (tweet at 3.28 pm today).
Motowagon - One of the most underrated channel in Tamil where the reviewers have a very good knowledge in every aspects of reviewing a car in detailed manner. Their recent episode with Mr. R Velusamy, Chief of Global Product Development of Mahindra was pitch perfect and gave us the outlook in design and building the car. Noticeably in the video review, they mentioned that the driver and all the passengers came out without any injuries and the customer booked the car immediately after witnessing this accident

Though the fault is from both the drivers - Bus & Car, the bus driver was so casual and his TNSTC driver centric attitude of - "I am the boss & others need to slow" was quite quirky. This stereotype attitude is risking many lives in Kerala and Tamilnadu. Hope Govt. imposes some strict action on these drivers. One such rash driving govt bus driver has taken the life of a Doctor recently.
Johnnny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 12:40   #34847
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Man, this video is giving me chills. It can be due to sleep deprivation also.
Another plausible explanation is fatigue.

It has happened once in my life where I steered off course in a motorcycle and realized just a few seconds late. Luckily I veered off course on kerbside and as soon as I hit some undulations, came back to my senses and stopped for a very long introspective break of the trip. Me and my friend were driving from BLR to Hampi at that time and it was a very long straight section and nothing to see on sides as it was almost night. The last stop was 3 hours ago and we were riding around 70-80kmph. My motor muscles kept on going to keep balancing the bike but my sensory system went into a brief pause (I suspect!). To this day, this haunts me and I almost never drive anything any more than 2 hours straight.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 13:08   #34848
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The white XUV 700 appears to have been recklessly driven by the concerned. While traversing a crossroad, the driver needed to have lowered his speed to check for the oncoming traffic. The Tamil Nadu transport bus driver doesn't appear to have applied defensive driving techniques either.

The video/tweet link :-

https://twitter.com/motowagon360/sta...njfmxEtjg&s=19

Is this accident anyway similar to this one where both the drivers did not really anticipate the approaching junction? Because as mentioned by Anjan, both the drivers have not applied any evading actions.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5112607
Old 28th March 2022, 13:22   #34849
BHPian

A Royal Enfield gets royally knocked out by a Skoda Octavia!

Source
Emvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 13:24   #34850
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Is this accident anyway similar to this one where both the drivers did not really anticipate the approaching junction? Because as mentioned by Anjan, both the drivers have not applied any evading actions
To begin with the fault lies with the authorities who gave approval to open such roads/ junction for public. Such junctions needs to have a clear "Stop" sign on approaching road or on all sides in case all have equal right of way, it should be a 4 way Stop.

Secondly, the Traffic police needs to educate people with the concept of Right of Way and what does Stop or Yield sign imply! My guess is over 90% are alien to both of these terms.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th March 2022 at 13:26.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 14:31   #34851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
What is this nonsense though? Who even allows this to happen?
And what a total waste of good machines in the hands of idiots.
Small Bot is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 14:49   #34852
BHPian

I would say that the crash ratings of the cars have made them a press magnet to post such accidents on the social media, accidents were common before also but after the safety ratings become a major point for customers, such accidents are getting much more publicised. This has made people think they can drive recklessly in safe cars and survive accidents, while putting the lives of others in danger.
Old 28th March 2022, 14:56   #34853
BHPian

Quote:
What kind of madness is this? Are they even legal to drive in the first place? How ignorant are their parents to just hand off their cars/bikes to these kids?

The Octavia also crashes into the B-pillar of the Creta and in the beginning almost runs over the person taking the video!

Hope these kids are taken action against and permanently banned from getting a license. Including the ones sitting on the bonnet and sticking their necks out of the sunroof!
krishnakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 15:14   #34854
BHPian

Quote:
A bunch of hormonal buffoons with money and no idea how to spend it. The sole goal of their existence is to impress some females.

I loved the guys commentary though!

"He (the guys on the bike) is about to be killed now"
"Thats the end of the program/function"

Agreed with the opinion that all of their licenses should be revoked.
GeneralJazz is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 15:14   #34855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
What is this nonsense though? Who even allows this to happen?
And what a total waste of good machines in the hands of idiots.
I think real travesty here is these guys seem to think they can drift their puny FWD cars in dirt as shown on YouTube by Ken Block.
PS. The cameraman needs to be praised for his unwavering determination to film the "event" even after being knocked down by that car.

Last edited by amol4184 : 28th March 2022 at 15:18.
amol4184 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 15:49   #34856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I may be wrong here but somehow I get a feeling that some 5 star car owners have mis-interpreted it for invincibility rather than a safety net in case of an accident.
But since I don't have any data to show for it I will restrict it to a "feeling".

In this case though it seems more like a case of misjudgement by the 700 driver who was probably expecting the bus to stop before crossing and his overspeeding near an intersection didn't help much.

I wonder if collision detection, if available on the car would've been able to avoid the crash.
The crash is completely the fault of the bus driver. He was crossing a highway from an intersection. It is his duty to stop, look and then go. In a civilized country the bus driver would have to bear hefty fines and possibly jail time.
Here such morons go Scot free. I wish the bus driver got permanently crippled post this accident.
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 16:22   #34857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The crash is completely the fault of the bus driver.
There are two elements at fault here

1. The bus - most TNSTC drivers nowadays are world-class thugs who drive as if they own the road.

2. Road design - IMHO, on dual carriage ways and highways, gaps on the median should not be aligned with intersections. Those crossing the intersection on minor roads should have to merge onto the Highway before taking a u-turn. With the current design, even if the bus were to stop on the northern side, he would block two lanes of on-coming traffic which is equally hazardous.

Unfortunately, the police are just going to mark this down as a driver fault. Worse still, they may place width restricting barricades as speed limiting devices - which is possibly the worst application of such instruments.
Old 28th March 2022, 16:27   #34858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
2. Road design - IMHO, on dual carriage ways and highways, gaps on the median should not be aligned with intersections.
Then we will have people driving the wrong way on at least one of the carriageways. Not good.

NHAI's practice as I have observed is to have intersections (signalled/right-of-way based/police-controlled) early on and replace them with over/underpasses soon enough. As I mentioned in another thread - there are 5 such intersections being converted between Salem and Coimbatore on NH 544 - all of which were previously such intersections, where the TN cops had permanently installed barricades-on-wheels for traffic calming.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 16:29   #34859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
In a civilized country the bus driver would have to bear hefty fines and possibly jail time.
BTW, In civilized countries they don't call a road: a highway/freeway/motorway if it has an intersecting road. A highway should have proper exits and entry points with room to merge/de-merge into traffic without intersecting traffic. Technically, the poor infrastructure which does not help the average person to use a road safely should take the blame. Think about if such a scenario could have happened, if the intersection of a smaller road (Top to bottom) with highway (left to right) looks like this:

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 847
Size:  115.1 KB

The vehicle on highway would have just kept on going and the vehicle from the smaller road passed underbridge respecting stop lights.
carthick1000 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 16:49   #34860
Senior - BHPian

On 25 March, while driving via Abachikkanahalli, Bangalore Rural district on NH-44, we saw two trucks, one upside down. They were little far, hence not sure whether result of same accident or different accidents.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2022_0325_170832_030.jpg

airbus is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks