Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2022, 17:00   #34861
BHPian

The video reminded me of the "accident" in movie Talaash where for unknown reasons, the vehicle swerves and causes an accident. It was as if the two wheeler got magnetically pulled in front of the bus. Tragic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
The motorcyclist could have drifted to the opposite lane because of momentary lapse of attention, fatigue, alcohol influence or less probably even a suicide. Investigation pending.
It is easy to blame others specially the "authorities". Anyone on the road has to be fit and alert whether he is driving or crossing the road on foot. There is only so much that others can do. Discipline comes from self first. It is better to err on the side of caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
To begin with the fault lies with the authorities who gave approval to open such roads/ junction for public. Such junctions needs to have a clear "Stop" sign on approaching road or on all sides in case all have equal right of way, it should be a 4 way Stop.

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2022 at 08:27. Reason: Trimming quote
Old 28th March 2022, 17:14   #34862
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Agreed with the opinion that all of their licenses should be revoked.
Do these clowns even have a license ? The caption reads HSS +2 send off. That would be less than 18 if they are still in school. If this happened as part of a school event, the relevant school authorities need to be taken to task.
SR-71 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 17:38   #34863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
On 25 March, while driving via Abachikkanahalli, Bangalore Rural district on NH-44, we saw two trucks, one upside down. They were little far, hence not sure whether result of same accident or different accidents.
If it was the same accident, then maybe the crane pulled the other truck to the left to clear traffic

Or maybe a strange co-incidence of two different accidents happening within a few moments of each other
Old 28th March 2022, 19:19   #34864
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The crash is completely the fault of the bus driver. He was crossing a highway from an intersection. It is his duty to stop, look and then go. In a civilized country the bus driver would have to bear hefty fines and possibly jail time.
True and agree. Your analysis is correct for a rules based reality.
But for me, driving here, its mainly about not having a crash regardless of who's right because that would need the rules to be understood by everyone and enforced in effect.

But most importantly I cannot trust the other driver to behave as per traffic rules, whether sticking to their lanes or yielding at intersections. This is the biggest difference I feel while driving.

I can say that I have homologated enough by unlearning a lot of traffic rules to avoid ending up in a crash and being called the idiot if not anything worse.
Now when I see the hazards on a car I understand that the smart guy wants to go straight.
And yielding or not could also be related to the size and type of vehicle involved.

Unfortunate but real.

Last edited by shancz : 28th March 2022 at 19:25. Reason: ccl, inc
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 20:44   #34865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
they don't call a road: a highway/freeway/motorway if it has an intersecting road.
I don't know what country your picture comes from: mainland Europe? America? Drive-on-the-right land, somewhere. From a British background, yes, we have motorways with junctions/intersections like that, and no, traffic will never be found crossing an M designated road. However, there is lots of dual-carriage road on which traffic will be moving fast (legal speed limit also 70MPH? I forget!) where such things do happen, although the crossing will usually be staggered. One can have some very unpleasant moments on those roads.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 21:16   #34866
BHPian

A kid lost his life today due to the negligence of the van driver. To cut the long story short, this kid came to school in the school van and for some reason he returned back from the classroom towards the van. Unfortunately, at that point in time, the van driver reversed without any assistance and ran over the kid. Looks like the kid lost his life on the spot

I really feel sorry for the kid's family. A beautiful kid lost his life due to no fault of his. May his soul RIP

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th March 2022 at 22:31. Reason: Minor language edit.
vvivek85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 23:49   #34867
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems to me that unfortunately, there is a disproportionate number of accidents being reported with XUV700. It could be that the accident rate is the same but the media is picking up too much of it. Or is it because of too much power in the hands of inexperienced drivers graduating from small cars? Or because unexpected ADAS-induced braking causing rear-ending by cars coming from behind? Or it could it be that the 5-star safety rating is creating a wrong perception of invincibility as others suggested on this thread? In any case, I have not seen so many accidents being reported on a recently launched vehicle. It is another matter that the passengers emerged safe most times due to the superior safety features.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 04:03   #34868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
.Or because unexpected ADAS-induced braking causing rear-ending by cars coming from behind...
Not referring to any car in particular, these driver assistance systems such as adaptive cruise control, lane assist, autonomous braking are intended to be be used on good infrastructure roads ie., properly marked expressways with proper entry and exit points and no intersections like our highways.

Under the above conditions, cars can then cruise over in a lane over long distances with these assist systems maintaining proper distance to the vehicle in front and reducing some of the driver fatigue over long distances.

It must also be noted that over reliance on these systems is bound to reduce the driver alertness levels. The driver must continue to stay alert maintaining high situational awareness with the foot near the brake and be ready to take control even when these semi autonomous assist systems are working.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 09:19   #34869
BHPian

Re: Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The crash is completely the fault of the bus driver. He was crossing a highway from an intersection. It is his duty to stop, look and then go. In a civilized country the bus driver would have to bear hefty fines and possibly jail time.
Here such morons go Scot free. I wish the bus driver got permanently crippled post this accident.
Yes, the bus driver is definitely wrong.

But in this case, he inadvertently saved two idiots on the bike from XUV's claw.

OT : Also please be careful with your wish.
Vasuki is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 12:01   #34870
BHPian

--
Source: Rushlane from Facebook (https://bit.ly/3NpPBe5)

XUV 700 swerved suddenly to save a pedestrian collided with Ritz after jumping over the center median. The person driving the Ritz died due to injuries.
Place: Ambur, Tamil Nadu

--
I think the Ritz driver might not have been wearing a seatbelt as the cabin looks pretty okay otherwise.

Name:  277523842_5066107900147117_4908173980500151503_n.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  277248537_5066108050147102_8374644867662066469_n.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  276140436_5066108226813751_9031636229820295574_n.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  276994563_5066108140147093_6964946520534152147_n.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  44.3 KB
freakmuzik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 16:48   #34871
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Secondly, the Traffic police needs to educate people with the concept of Right of Way and what does Stop or Yield sign imply! My guess is over 90% are alien to both of these terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
2. Road design - IMHO, on dual carriage ways and highways, gaps on the median should not be aligned with intersections. Those crossing the intersection on minor roads should have to merge onto the Highway before taking a u-turn. With the current design, even if the bus were to stop on the northern side, he would block two lanes of on-coming traffic which is equally hazardous.
In my hometown, a new highway was built and opened to the public during the first wave of Covid. It was a new highway with a lot of intersections (village and town roads), and I was always afraid to see how people would cross because they were mostly from villages. I wrote a letter to the RTO, local police, MLA, and government officials (even to principal secs) in this regard. As is customary, no action was taken, and an accident occurred, in which a two-wheeler driver perished on the scene. I also issued a reminder.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-letter.jpg  

Last edited by RGK : 29th March 2022 at 16:55. Reason: Pic changed
RGK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 23:04   #34872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
A bus from Orange Travels towards Hyderabad jumped across the median and hit a car going towards Vijayawada at a high speed killing one on the spot.
Seen this accident scene similar to Orange Travels accident around 4:34 AM today. A four wheeler jumped over the divider but luckily didn't involve other vehicles.

Second accident happened around 5:36 PM was shortly after crossing Chillakallu toll plaza on the return back to Hyderabad. There were openings on on the divider that look like made by locals for crossing across the divider. A biker riding without helmet was dragged for nearly 0.5 Km after his bike got stuck in the lorry rear bumper.

TrueDreamer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 16:55   #34873
BHPian

Popped up on twitter some time back. Mahindra Thar running over an individual in Delhi caught on CCTV.

https://twitter.com/priyanktripathi/...VnNijeYsg&s=19
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 17:04   #34874
BHPian

Probably not the right thread as the vehicle is livestock powered... Nevertheless, the number of things that could have gone wrong is just limitless.

SR-71 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 17:45   #34875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Nevertheless, the number of things that could have gone wrong is just limitless.
Once the cart topples, the animal runs away uncontrolled. Hope it did not become dangerous for others on the road.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed