Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2022, 12:08   #34891
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
My uncle (both not related to each other) also died in a road (moped) accident last week. He had to overtake an overloaded tractor carrying dry grass. He was carrying a gas cylinder which hit an auto and broke his leg. This resulted him in loosing control of his moped and his head hit the road.
Really sorry for your loss. RIP

Carrying a gas cylinder in a moped is very dangerous. I'm in no way condoning the reckless act of tractor carrying overload gas. But I can see that it is a usual practice mostly in villages & towns.
Vasuki is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 17:42   #34892

Quote:

Culprit in both the cases. A tractor and a Truck parked on roadside on busy highway.
My condolences for your loss.

These vehicles parked on the roadside are really a hazard. They happily occupy even half of the leftmost lane and no one dares ask them to vacate the illegally occupied road space. Why

The other day I was driving on the left lane of a dual-lane highway and a parked truck suddenly started moving and would have come straight in front of me. Of course, without flashing indicators. Else, how will they prove they are the kings, no goons, of the road! Forget indicators, not a single light on the truck's back was working. I couldn't move to the right-lane as already fast-moving traffic was there. Panicked I blared the horns and thanks to almighty, the driver's hearing was still working (unlike his truck's lights) and he stopped in time.

So, you can not drive on the left lane due to the possibility of an unannounced visitor anytime. Likewise, you can not drive on the right lane due to fear of any vehicle jumping the median from the opposite side into your lane or any cattle running into you after feasting on the tasty median-grass. So, I think, the only sane option left is to drive on the middle central line demarcating the two lanes. Be safe than sorry. And, instead of a music player, entertain yourself by continuously playing a symphony through car horns.
MasterChief is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 18:56   #34893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never thought I would be posting here..
Extremely sorry to hear the news. Its gut wrenching to see the pictures. My fervent wish is that none of us should have to post in this thread. Its very sad, one minute they are with you and the next minute they are gone for ever. May God give you the strength to bear the loss
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 23:09   #34894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
I can relate to this. I recently met a friend of mine after a long time and we decided to head out for lunch in his car. When I tried to put the seatbelt on, I have noticed something obstructing the buckle and this is when I learnt that there is an abomination for this exact purpose called a seat-belt clip/buckle.

It looked something like this:

Attachment 2290843

Worse still, he felt proud that he was able to fool the vehicle's seat belt reminder system
These buckle clips are quite commonly used, especially in high end cars. I also remember seeing t-shirts that had a belt design to mimic belt usage.
Its funny to see the lengths we go to avoid an activity that barely takes 5 seconds.

Quote:
Never thought I would be posting here

Attachment 2290898

This is my Quanto which was sold by me to my cousin 6 months ago. His mother was on passenger side and passed away on the spot. Happened opposite Vijayawada Airport around 4:30 pm today.

This is the 2nd tragedy within 6 days. My uncle (both not related to each other) also died in a road (moped) accident last week. He had to overtake an overloaded tractor carrying dry grass. He was carrying a gas cylinder which hit an auto and broke his leg. This resulted him in loosing control of his moped and his head hit the road.

Culprit in both the cases. A tractor and a Truck parked on roadside on busy highway. .
My condolences.
Please forgive me if my question is insensitive, but aren't we jumping ahead by blaming the crash on the parked truck? Sure, the Parked truck does not have an underride protection that would have reduced severity. The truck is to blame for that. But, in the photo I noticed that the truck is parked well into the shoulder area. The question should be why the Quanto went on to the shoulder.
Rohan265 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 23:48   #34895
Distinguished - BHPian

This Fortuner with aftermarket alloys of some dubious quality has rolled over six times after one alloy broke.

According to the YouTube commentary the lives were at least saved.

A news on the cartoq page has also appeared based on the YouTube video.

https://www.cartoq.com/toyota-fortun...oy-wheels/amp/
anjan_c2007 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 00:20   #34896
BHPian

So much for "controlled environment" stunts.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 07:08   #34897
Senior - BHPian

Was a lot of crowd just before the Vanniyambadi Toll coming from Madras yesterday around 6pm. Seemed to be a major accident

Any one know what it was & what happened?
Old 2nd April 2022, 09:09   #34898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This Fortuner with aftermarket alloys of some dubious quality has rolled over six times after one alloy broke.

https://Youtu.be/KHCE4rOnKO4
Well, this should be an eye-opener for some, youtube is flooded with videos of cheaper & cheaper alloys and getting these cheap upsized Maybach style alloys on a car as big and heavy as Fortuner is stupidity, one decent sized pothole while cruising on autobahn like Indian highways and the alloy is reduced to bits and pieces.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 09:24   #34899
BHPian

Quote:
A completely forgettable March 2022 for me
My condolences this is just heart-wrenching. Just goes to show that you have to be focused 200% driving on Indian roads. Just makes me mad that so many valuable lives are lost each and every day due to some morons not adhering to even basic rules.

Just building massive highways and roads will not help, this country needs a fundamental shift in our driving culture! Sometimes I feel we truly are at the bottom of the tank when it comes to driving conditions.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 10:07   #34900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Just building massive highways and roads will not help, this country needs a fundamental shift in our driving culture! Sometimes I feel we truly are at the bottom of the tank when it comes to driving conditions.
Very true AKSarkar

Though we have competition at the bottom of the tank I can assure you.

I have seen similar inconsiderate driving by maniacs in Greece and Turkey (pedestrians be damned whenever they try to cross at zebra crossings).

Money & education alone does not seem to be the only factors influencing erratic driving culture. Swift & severe punitive actions which impact both wallet & body (jail time) for such actions might help in the short term.

Mod Note: Not V true but very true. Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd April 2022 at 10:38.
IamGetz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 13:23   #34901

Re: Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

Quote:
I can relate to this. I recently met a friend of mine after a long time and we decided to head out for lunch in his car. When I tried to put the seatbelt on, I have noticed something obstructing the buckle and this is when I learnt that there is an abomination for this exact purpose called a seat-belt clip/buckle.

Attachment 2290843

Worse still, he felt proud that he was able to fool the vehicle's seat belt reminder system
One of my clients owned an Audi Q7 and had something like this too! And just yesterday, I saw a BMW X1 whose seatbelt was dragged behind the driver's seat to be slotted in at my son's school. Meanwhile, here's me in my wife's Brio getting my son out of his car seat.
baluprasanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 17:46   #34902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post

My condolences.
The question should be why the Quanto went on to the shoulder.
The truck was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Not the truck's fault.

Quote:
My condolences ..........bottom of the tank when it comes to driving conditions.
Accepted mate.

As it happened

Yesterday the Funeral was completed. I got to find the chain of events from my cousin.

Accident happened at 5:19 pm. My cousin was feeling sleepy and washed his face multiple times. His mother had a surgery last week, he took her for checkup in Guntur. This happened while returning home. Home was just 5 minutes away. He might have dropped his gaurd.

There was adequate gap, its a big road. My cousin was overtaking another big vehicle from left and eye witnesses said the speed was high, something around 120kmph. My cousin said he wanted to overtake and provide adequate space to vehicle on right but failed to judge the left side. The impact was at high speed. The entire cabin bent towards left. There were 4 people in the car and none of them were wearing seatbelts. My Cousin's mother was on passenger seat and took full impact. Cannot describe her condition.

1. My cousin is lucky. The steering locked him in place. He only has pain in abdomen but has pain in spine while sitting. He will be in 1 week observation.
2. My Cousin's wife sitting behind him hit the driver seat and cut her lip and broke her teeth. Plastic Surgery done.
3. My Cousin's mother was on passenger seat and passed away on the spot. She was thrown up, hit the mangled roof and settled on the seat. Only 25% of her mangled face was shown to wellwishers. First responders said "you will not be able to see her body. Condition is bad"
4. My Cousin's aunt was behind the front passenger seat. She had a leg fracture and chin fracture.

Mods sorry for using all Caps

PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR SEAT BELTS. NEVER EVER NEGLECT. HUMAN BODY CANNOT BEAR THE FORCES OF BEING THROWN AROUND especially at high speeds. Always maintain your composure, keep speeds in check.

I sold the Quanto in September 2021. It had served me and my family for 8 years and was involved in many memorable moments. Sad to see the condition of the car. Me and my family used to feel safe inside the cabin away from the outside world in our little space.

Now that closed cabin does not exist.
Here are some pictures of the car to create awareness of consequences of high speed impact.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220401_123247.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220401_123603.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220401_123624.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220401_123339.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220401_123459.jpg]
dsuman is offline   (88) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 18:08   #34903
BHPian

Quote:
Never thought I would be posting here

A completely forgettable March 2022 for me.
Extremely sorry for your loss, my condolences.

As a person who travels on the same roads it really puts into perspective. In fact I had to drive to the airport just a few hours before the incident and I was sulking all the way. Maybe all we can be is just feel a sigh of relief if we just come back home safe. That's how our roads are. Much power to you to cope with this.
cule1899_bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 18:28   #34904
BHPian

@dsuman

Very unfortunate. May her soul RIP.
We all may have done such manoeuvres and realised that we should never overtake when the path ahead is not visible.
The road that is so clean and empty may not be so during the next overtake.
I did the same mistake while going at high speed from Hyderabad to Bangalore in 2010. I overtook a slow moving bus from left, and found a stationary tractor waiting for me. I slammed the brakes and was lucky that the Bridgestone tyres I had on a two year old car stopped in time.
In that moment, you just pray that your equipment helps, as you are helpless.
I wish there is a video of such accidents or near misses which I can show my kid when he starts learning driving.
Can you shed some light on the car condition especially tyres? Did your cousin got time to slam the brakes?
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 19:38   #34905
BHPian

Quote:

I saw it the first time when someone in Innova came to purchase it when I was getting my tyres replaced. Majority look at seatbelt as an annoyance. Thinking is that seatbelts and helmets need to be worn to avoid traffic challan. They never realize the safety value of it. I have given up on my close family members too. Had to tell my dad sternly I won't allow him to sit in front if he doesn't wear seatbelt. He was pissed. Even showing examples doesn't help.

Quote:
Unfortunately true, as I have seen even educated drivers having zero common traffic sense. One person recently had parked his car on road which was wide enough for just two vehicle to pass, effectively reducing it to one car at a time. Asked to remove it from there, and he went crazy saying he knows traffic rules/driving etc and told me to use the remaining space to go. He didn't care he was blocking 2 way traffic, his convenience was the most important thing. People operating mobile phones while driving, driving at crazy speeds , having kids sticking out of sunroom while driving at high speeds on highway (I myself was driving at 100kmph when this moron with 2 kids standing in sunroof overtook me on BLR-HYD highway), speeding inside apartment communities knowing fully well kids are playing, using high beams always, trying to squeeze in at high speeds, going in wrong way if there is lots of backup at traffic signal, trying to make right turn when in left most lane at signals etc. And all of these by
educated people , many of whom have also gone abroad and followed all traffic rules there.

A culture change is required. Before all movie screenings, they need to show films about traffic safety with CCTV captures of actual wrong practices ending in accidents. Even if 10% of people understand, it will be a big thing.

Quote:
The truck was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Not the truck's fault.

Accepted mate.

As it happened

Yesterday the Funeral was completed. I got to find the chain of events from my cousin.

Really sorry to hear this, my condolences to your family. Indian roads require full concentration, any fatigue, sleepiness can be fatal as shown. Would have been better to take a short break. But hindsight is 20/20. I don't know the circumstances which made him drive in that state. It will be terrible for him also to live with the fact that his accident took his mom's life. Prayers to the departed, and also hoping survivors get strength to get through this horrific tragedy.
sanchari is offline   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed