Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2022, 20:45   #34906
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Narrow escape for the kid. Quick reflex in correcting course from the bus driver!
The kid gets a new bicycle.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-727a20b3_377721_p_15_mr.jpg

Source

Quote:
Kannur boy who miraculously escaped from road accident gets a new cycle
Taliparamba: The child who had a narrow escape from a road accident here a few days ago has received a new bicycle from Vyapari Vyavasayi Ekopana Samiti in Taliparamba.

The video of class three student Shadu Rahman hitting a speeding bike and skidding to the other end of the road by escaping from being hit by a KSRTC bus was went viral. His cycle was crushed by the bus in the accident. However, he escaped with minor injuries. The incident happened at Cherukkala on Mach 20. The visuals were captured on a CCTV in the locality.

"We presented the gift to the boy to compensate him for his lost cycle and also to create an awareness regarding the use of bicycles," the district committee members of the Samiti said.
bejoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 21:36   #34907
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
Pardon my ignorance. I'm quite an illiterate. Wondering why didn't the tech like ADAS etc. kick in? I suppose it includes automatic emergency braking? Is this another incident that proves that crashes and situations leading to one in real life are vastly different and unpredictable than the ones simulated in lab or lab-like conditions?
Sorry if I sound stupid, but how on earth would the ADAS come to know about the vehicle approaching from sideways?

ADAS would work if there is an obstacle ahead of vehicle which is fast approaching towards it.

Here the Bus approached the junction from right side of XUV700. Until the ADAS could get opportunity to show its potential, it was too late.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 00:52   #34908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post

Culprit in both the cases. A tractor and a Truck parked on roadside on busy highway.
Deepest condolences to you and the family.

Don’t know about the tractor, but from the picture, the truck looks like its parked within the solid white line which means it probably was parked in the shoulder lane (which is actually made for vehicular emergencies such as it being stalled or when broken down on the highway). So certainly doesn’t look like his fault lawfully. Either ways, You have to always expect the unexpected on our roads and that it only takes a split second for everything to go wrong. May the departed souls RIP.

Last edited by Starfire : 3rd April 2022 at 00:53.
Starfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 09:47   #34909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Deepest condolences to you and the family.

Don’t know about the tractor, but from the picture, the truck looks like its parked within the solid white line which means it probably was parked in the shoulder lane (which is actually made for vehicular emergencies such as it being stalled or when broken down on the highway). So certainly doesn’t look like his fault lawfully. Either ways, You have to always expect the unexpected on our roads and that it only takes a split second for everything to go wrong. May the departed souls RIP.
Please refer to my updated post yesterday after I analysed the accident spot and spoke with my cousin and eye witnesses. You are right Truck was not at fault. Initially we all thought truck was at fault. My cousin also did not press any charges on the truck. Unfortunately people are putting the onus on bad omen (travel during amavasya) and all that.

The real reasons are

1. Ignoring the dangers of tired mind and sleep while driving.
2. Not wearing seatbelts.
3. Dropping gaurd and concentration since home was 5 minutes away. Happens with all of us.

Till the time people stop putting things on bad omen and supernatural causes India will not improve in the Road Accidents index.

Sorry for my frustration guys.
dsuman is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 10:09   #34910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Dropping gaurd and concentration since home was 5 minutes away. Happens with all of us.
Firstly, condolences on your loss.

Thanks for bringing up the point regarding dropping guard. It is a human tendency and it is quite important to be aware of it and take appropriate care.

I remember reading a book by an armed forces veteran. He writes that they are taught that "the mission is not over until you are in the shower". Which includes getting back safe, cleaning the equipment so as to be ready for the next mission, and then taking a shower.

By having a couple more steps before a trip can be finished (in other words, just reaching the destination does not finish the trip), the tendency to drop guard just as one nears the destination can probably be avoided.
adisan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:34   #34911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please refer to my updated post yesterday after I analysed the accident spot and spoke with my cousin and eye witnesses. You are right Truck was not at fault. Initially we all thought truck was at fault. My cousin also did not press any charges on the truck. Unfortunately people are putting the onus on bad omen (travel during amavasya) and all that.

The real reasons are

1. Ignoring the dangers of tired mind and sleep while driving.
2. Not wearing seatbelts.

Till the time people stop putting things on bad omen and supernatural causes India will not improve in the Road Accidents index.

Sorry for my frustration guys.
I am so sorry for your loss.
I believe not wearing seatbelts is the main issue here. Life and injuries could have been saved if everyone was belted. It still makes me so angry why everyone can't follow this simple thing.

Also, in my experience we should absolutely avoid overtaking from left on our highways. There are lots of trucks, trailers etc parked without any reflectors and when you are doing speed in excess of 100 it becomes quite difficult to spot and manouever the car in time. Best stick to right side overtaking even if takes an extra minute or so.

Last edited by harry10 : 3rd April 2022 at 12:37.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 13:30   #34912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Also, in my experience we should absolutely avoid overtaking from left on our highways. There are lots of trucks, trailers etc parked without any reflectors and when you are doing speed in excess of 100 it becomes quite difficult to spot and manouever the car in time. Best stick to right side overtaking even if takes an extra minute or so.
Overtaking from left is not safe driving but in our country the fast lanes are occupied by all sorts of atrocities from slow moving buses and trucks to mini vans. Even tractors loaded 10x with hay often take the fast lane. Initial days I did attempt honking and putting on the blinkers to let them move to the slow lane but most of them DO NOT BUDGE

Imagine being stuck behind one such atrocity that is going at 30-40kmph on a 80kmph highway. There is absolutely no way than to curse these fellows and overtake from the left. Even in 6 way lanes these morons are occupying the rightmost lane forcing you into a left side overtake

That said when there is a absolute case for wrong side overtake I do ask the navigator to watch out for hazards before turning. If no navigator available I make the overtake only when I have better field view. Also I also make sure that speeds are on defensive side. A Quanto for example is a death trap on 4 wheels especially at speeds in excess of 80kmph.

Last edited by venbas : 3rd April 2022 at 13:42. Reason: Quote correction
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 13:42   #34913
BHPian

Trying to overtake from the left needs to be planned very carefully and ensure that they have good visibility of at least around 0.5-1km ahead. I saw a similar accident on HYD-BLR highway on the way to Bangalore. Around 70-80km from Anantpur, a Honda City had just hit parked truck on the left shoulder and it was horribly mangled. The next day read in the paper that the husband, wife, and teenaged son and daughter, all perished in that accident.

With trucks, bus and other slow vehicles occupying the right lane on two-lane highways, overtaking from the left side are unavoidable many times. But be careful, have good visibility and not on the curves, and ensure you have good clearance on the left.

Quote:

Source
I am frankly disappointed with this. The boy just came on to the road very fast without slowing down or looking at both sides. Unfortunately in our country, just learning to drive is considered sufficient, not knowing traffic rules is not an issue , and it starts from young age.

Who let this young boy out on a bike in such a high traffic area? Also minimum traffic sense should have been drilled in. We were taught to look both sides of road before crossing. People make their kids balance and start pedalling , and they think they are expert drivers. Just like bike and car drivers think changing gears and pressing on accelerator is all that is required to drive on the road.

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd April 2022 at 14:04.
sanchari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 13:50   #34914
Distinguished - BHPian

Actress Mallaika Arora's Range Rover was involved in a 3 car pile up on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway yesterday at around 4.45 pm. She was returning back to Mumbai after attending an event in Pune and this happened near Khopoli. The other cars drove away but their registration numbers were noted and identified by the police. Mallaika Arora suffered minor injuries and had to be hospitalised at the Apollo Hospital, Navi Mumbai. She was discharged today noon going by news reports.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20220403_133149.jpg

The news link:-
https://www.indiatimes.com/entertain...al-565965.html

The Range Rover's rear windscreen is shattered as can be seen and its bonnet is partially dented and the front bumper damaged.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 14:03   #34915
BHPian

Saw this overturned fortuner at hitex road , hyderabad yesterday. It was a 20kmph zone with speed guns. Wonder how this happened.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220402131757.jpg

Last edited by r24x7 : 3rd April 2022 at 14:29. Reason: Typo
r24x7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 14:14   #34916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
Saw this overturned fortuner at hitex road , hyderabad yesterday. It was a 20kmph zone with speed guns. Wonder this happened.
Attachment 2291615
Just yesterday, a Fortuner was found overturned due to alloy breakage and the video was shared in this thread. April is not going well for Fortuners.
Old 3rd April 2022, 15:34   #34917
BHPian

Quote:

PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR SEAT BELTS. NEVER EVER NEGLECT. HUMAN BODY CANNOT BEAR THE FORCES OF BEING THROWN AROUND especially at high speeds.
Thank you for sharing the photos. I agree that seat belts should be worn on all seats, and would have prevented injuries to the rear occupants. However, considering the intrusion in the front passenger seat, I am not sure if seat belts would have helped. This is a huge problem with underrides. Seat belts, Pre-tensioners, and airbags are not much help if the truck's body enters that car's cabin and cuts out the survival space. The only thing that helps is a strong underride protection device on the truck.

Quote:

Attachment 2291397

Source
Gifting a new bicycle to a child who had just survived an extremely risky maneuver. That too without any bicycle helmets or road safety education. I just hope the child has not been incentivised to perform more such stunts.
Rohan265 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 16:32   #34918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please refer to my updated post yesterday after I analysed the accident spot and spoke with my cousin and eye witnesses. You are right Truck was not at fault.
I wanted to respond to your first post, but felt that, with such a loss, I could not. It takes a lot to be objective in such a situation. Respect to you. And condolences.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 17:44   #34919
BHPian

Quote:
and also to create an awareness regarding the use of bicycle
How about creating awareness on safe and sensible driving? I am sorry to say this, but I believe this is reckless on the part of the kids parents and the organization to present that kid with a new bike so soon after the incident. Personally, I would expect the kid to take a step back and reflect on his stupidity and carelessness before he earns his next bike a few months down the lane. I sincerely hope the organization is not capitalizing on the viral video which is how it looks to me .

Last edited by SR-71 : 3rd April 2022 at 17:46.
SR-71 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 00:39   #34920

Quote:
The truck was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Not the truck's fault.

Yesterday the Funeral was completed. I got to find the chain of events from my cousin.
I'm truly sorry to hear about the immeasurable loss. Hope your family gets the strength to bear this grief.

This is the lesson for everyone. We should take all precautionary measures like wearing seatbelts, buying cars having airbags and good structural rigidity, If one feels drowsy, check-in to the nearest hotel, and most important: faith in God in order to prevent mishaps.
curious.yash is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks