Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2022, 23:05   #34936
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Without any doubt it's Seltos driver, driving as if he was on a mission to kill. I am happy that this got captured on CCTV, his license should be canceled, and- he should be jailed for months. Only if punishments are severe discipline can be induced.
Not only the Seltos, but also the SX4 that seems to have swerved left, though it had so much gap from the divider. And on top of it, the confusing lane markers have contributed to the accident.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 07:28   #34937
BHPian

One person died due to rash driving of dumper truck. His car got sandwiched between two trucks. The deceased person was junior to us in my engineering college. He was at the wrong place at wrong time. R.I.P.

https://twitter.com/scoutdesk/status...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
DevD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 08:43   #34938
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Not only the Seltos, but also the SX4 that seems to have swerved left, though it had so much gap from the divider. And on top of it, the confusing lane markers have contributed to the accident.
Fair assessment. It looks like the divider is also taking a sharp turn judging by some reflective white paint in the bottom of the screen.

We make mistakes. I know I have sometimes made others apply brakes because of my poor judgement. Thankfully, I've only run into another vehicle because of poor judgement twice - once in 2012 and once in 2014. Gradually, I've become better at defensive driving and my ratio of poor judgements per 10000km of driving has gotten better.

Some penalty is also due to the authority responsible for making confusing lane markers. While some form of penalty is also justified for the Seltos driver, snatching the DL or putting them in jail is not the solution. If we do that, almost everyone will be off the road except the lane hoggers driving at 50 on a 90kmph road. The Seltos driver will probably learn from this incident and drive better in the future. But other drivers on the road and those watching the video will also take mental notes, start expecting such situations on the road and prepare for it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th April 2022 at 11:05. Reason: Trimming response w.r.t. fire accidents thread.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 11:25   #34939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevD View Post
One person died due to rash driving of dumper truck. His car got sandwiched between two trucks. The deceased person was junior to us in my engineering college. He was at the wrong place at wrong time. R.I.P.

This is really scary. This is my usual route to travel from Cuttack to Bhubaneswar and I had travelled in the same route an hour earlier prior to the accident.
Unfortunately he had to pay the price for no fault of his. I wonder if any particular car make would have been of help here.
4WheelPilot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 11:57   #34940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelPilot View Post
I wonder if any particular car make would have been of help here.
Found out that car in question was a Maruti Alto. The guy in Alto did everything correct - maintained safe distance, stopped safely with adequate distance. Only thing he could have done is check the rear view mirror and take evasive action like the white car driver did. He noticed approaching truck and started moving sideways. Later he got pushed out sideways by truck and survived.

Generally in rear ending situations, sedans fair better than compacts/hatchbacks. However with a loaded dumper truck, the momentum is just too much for any vehicle to withstand the accident.
DevD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 12:13   #34941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The question being asked is whose fault is this?

https://Youtu.be/YF_DzoTDO-0
I watched the video multiple times and cannot find whose fault is it really. Sure the Seltos driver was not driving well in the first part, but I think the SX4 veered to the other lane without checking the presence of another vehicle. This distracted the Seltos driver and he overcorrected without checking the side view mirrors. And even the bike was moving across the lane without any consideration. I feel all three are at fault here. The lane markings are a disaster anyway.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 12:16   #34942
BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely horrendous!

We cannot do anything in this case. Rear view visibility in stop go situation is limited to just the car behind. On top of that evasive action is not possible unless you want to kill a biker to save yourself, which the white car did effectively.
It is a clear case of brake failure of an overloaded truck.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 5th April 2022 at 12:19.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 13:41   #34943

Yes you are right. The primary fault is of SX4, adding to it is the confusing splitting lane. Not sure, but the SX4 and Seltos seems to on race with each other which can be seen when the cars were coming down the flyover, where SX4 tried to block Seltos.
Old 5th April 2022, 13:48   #34944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
The truck was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Not the truck's fault.

There was adequate gap, its a big road. My cousin was overtaking another big vehicle from left and eye witnesses said the speed was high, something around 120 kmph. My cousin said he wanted to overtake and provide adequate space to vehicle on right but failed to judge the left side. The impact was at high speed. The entire cabin bent towards left. There were 4 people in the car and none of them were wearing seatbelts. My Cousin's mother was on passenger seat and took full impact. Cannot describe her condition.

3. My Cousin's mother was on passenger seat and passed away on the spot. She was thrown up, hit the mangled roof and settled on the seat. Only 25% of her mangled face was shown to wellwishers. First responders said "you will not be able to see her body. Condition is bad"

PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR SEAT BELTS. NEVER EVER NEGLECT. HUMAN BODY CANNOT BEAR THE FORCES OF BEING THROWN AROUND especially at high speeds. Always maintain your composure, keep speeds in check.

I sold the Quanto in September 2021. It had served me and my family for 8 years and was involved in many memorable moments. Sad to see the condition of the car. Me and my family used to feel safe inside the cabin away from the outside world in our little space.

Here are some pictures of the car to create awareness of consequences of high speed impact.

Attachment 2291313
Feel extremely touched for the sad loss of your aunt who was recovering from an ailment in such a gory mishap, not describable in words. The worst part is that she must have had a tremendously cruel death and her last moments must have been very, very painful.

A relief it is that the other three occupants could survive though with minor injuries/ injuries in an Indian designed mini SUV hitting a heavy vehicle at 120 kmph. That's commendable though the mini SUV is crushed at the impact portions. Moreover, they were not wearing their seat belts.

These speeds of 120 kmph and so on can be tried only on clear stretches on expressways and that too only when the driver is self-confident that he or she is alert and not drowsy. And the driver needs to tell every occupant to wear seat belts. The driver has a moral authority over his or her co-passengers till at least he or she is behind the steering wheel to give safety instructions.

The image I have selected in the QUOTE portion shows that the dash has receded and is nearly touching the front seat/s which is a matter of concern. The steering being collapsible has remained almost in position. Else, in older cars many drivers have been maimed or killed in due to the steering moving inside the driver's cabin and hitting the head or torso of the driver after an impact.

About the five minutes away from home that you mentioned, there is a quote in Hindi which says:-

"aasman se gira, khajoor pe atka."

This means that someone has fallen from the sky (safe all through the thousands of feet of fall it is assumed) and gets stuck in a date palm tree.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th April 2022 at 13:51.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 20:31   #34945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bike, SX4, Seltos all are at fault here.

But cream of it all is the markings on the road - its like get down from the flyover, solve the marking riddle and then drive on, if you are able to
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 21:57   #34946
BHPian

I don't see how it's the SX4's fault. Sure, it may be drifting from the lane and that may be wrong in itself, but I don't see how that makes the collision its fault.

What I mean is, if a car (here SX4) is drifting out of its lane, the proper response from those following/overtaking it (here the Kia) needs to be to brake, not to try to squeeze through the decreasing gap.

Same goes for the bike. It may be drifting through the lane, but the proper response there also is to slow down, not to continue on your path irrespective of how the road condition in front of you is changing.

Sure, the SX4 and bike should have tried to go in a straight line, but the collision could had been avoided if the Kia would have been attentive & braked.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 5th April 2022 at 21:59.
N.A.GTC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 22:34   #34947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious.yash View Post
and most important: faith in God in order to prevent mishaps.
I didn’t quite understand this. How can faith in God be the most important action to prevent mishaps?
StopUnderrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 22:54   #34948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
I didn’t quite understand this. How can faith in God be the most important action to prevent mishaps?
Not pertaining to that situation that the point was made against but pertaining to a situation such as below. May be life/God had other plans for this person who got crushed for no fault of his. If you don't have [some] faith, you won't be able to go out of the house. No driving, no public transport. Despite doing your 100%, there is 1% luck out there watching for you.

Quote:

Old 6th April 2022, 00:47   #34949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
My cousin was overtaking another big vehicle from left and eye witnesses said the speed was high, something around 120kmph.
My condolences. Sorry for your loss. Can't even imagine what your cousin must be going through.

Speed kills.
Old 6th April 2022, 08:59   #34950
BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/YF_DzoTDO-0
Certainly the lane markings seem to be at fault - and with the Police issuing such a video, I believe they are taking a dig at the city's own municipal corporation or the contractor responsible for making such roads & lane markings.
jeetumg27 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed