Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2022, 11:23   #34966
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Happened 50 meters from my parents place yesterday. Apparently the driver hit some large rocks that were partially on the road and then flipped turtle. Driver escaped with minor injuries.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-grab1.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-grab2.jpeg
anoop.u is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 11:39   #34967
BHPian

The driver of the UV is really fortunate to have come out of it with minor injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.u View Post
Happened 50 meters from my parents place yesterday. Apparently the driver hit some large rocks that were partially on the road and then flipped turtle. Driver escaped with minor injuries.
True blue SUV/pseudo SUV, super low sedan, supercar or whatever, accidents generally are caused due to 2 factors-
1. Misfortune
2. Irresponsible Driving

With the above mentioned factors, things can go wrong even with the best of best cars/drivers. Accident is an accident afterall!
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 12:31   #34968
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2294082
Wow, look at the condition of those tyres. They are completely bald

Ram
marsbhp is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 13:06   #34969
BHPian

Quote:
Happened 50 meters from my parents place yesterday.

Attachment 2294082
Looking at the bald tyres, this would have happened 10 years ago. They were long due for replacement. It could be possible that the accident happened due to hydroplaning, as the area looks quite wet.

Oh, this point has already been covered by marsbhp

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 8th April 2022 at 13:10.
Old 8th April 2022, 14:20   #34970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
... It could be possible that the accident happened due to hydroplaning, as the area looks quite wet ...
It did rain for an hour or so, but after the accident.
anoop.u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 15:10   #34971
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It could be possible that the accident happened due to hydroplaning, as the area looks quite wet.
Whilst we know now that the rain came after the event...

Hydroplaning does not happen on a wet surface. That would be just skidding. Hydroplaning is a specific phenomenon that requires an actual layer of water on the road surface.

Been there, done that, on a British motorway in sudden heavy rain, at 80+ MPH. Hope I never have to say "twice!"
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 15:25   #34972
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the bald tyres, this would have happened 10 years ago. They were long due for replacement. It could be possible that the accident happened due to hydroplaning, as the area looks quite wet.

Oh, this point has already been covered by marsbhp
There's an Interesting and Informative video on Hydroplaning.
Sharing here for the benefit of our Community

I found it very helpful and corrected my driving.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 19:13   #34973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Whilst we know now that the rain came after the event...

Hydroplaning does not happen on a wet surface. That would be just skidding. Hydroplaning is a specific phenomenon that requires an actual layer of water on the road surface.

Been there, done that, on a British motorway in sudden heavy rain, at 80+ MPH. Hope I never have to say "twice!"
How do we know that there was no puddle due to rain and the tyres didnt hydroplane?

I have myself faced hydroplaning not once but twice, unfortunately on the very same road in the gap of two years or so.

I was travelling to my office on ORR-Hyderabad at about 100 km/hr. It was drizzling slightly, I saw some water collected towards the divider, as the road is having an incline on the turn. As I knew about hydroplaning, I reduced my speed, but didn't stop. My Safari's only 1 driver side tyre hit the puddle and gosh it was like my tyre lost gravity! the car swerved towards the left, luckily it didn't swerve towards the divider. As the rear tyres moved away from the puddle we were saved. The speed may have been around 80 at that time of impact.

Second time, I was coming back from office, the same road and weather, this time I decided to slow down even further, I was around 50 km/hr and gosh, the car still hydroplaned.

For your information, just wet road is sufficient for such bald tyre to hydroplane. It all depends on the speed. The tyres act like a scrapper and pushes the water further, which rises as it doesn't have any space to go and if your speed is very high, tyres will hydroplane. Yes, the higher the water layer, the more chances of hydroplaning. The same case is with the tread depth, the lower the tread depth, the higher the chances of hydroplaning, even on drenched roads. You can see the image I attached.

By the way, I have been advocating from a decade or so, all my friends to put the new tyres in the rear, if they are changing just a pair. For this very same reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20220408_190500.jpg  

MT_Hyderabad is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 12:57   #34974
Senior - BHPian

Saw one accident involving Tata Harrier & a Swift this morning on the Faridabad toll road after 10 am today. There were come workers clearing bushes in the median & the Tata had slowed down. Apparently the swift was too swift for the brakes & slim tyres & rear ended the Harrier. While Tata had some damage at rear but it’s boot operated normally, the swift’s front end was significantly damaged.

It’s a practice for people to speed up after paying toll assuming speeds are higher on this tollway, but it actually is 50-70 kmph only. Despite interceptors & speed limit signboards people just don care until they suff loss & cause loss to others.
Old 9th April 2022, 14:54   #34975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Saw one accident involving Tata Harrier & a Swift this morning on the Faridabad toll road after 10 am today. There were come workers clearing bushes in the median & the Tata had slowed down. Apparently the swift was too swift for the brakes & slim tyres & rear ended the Harrier. While Tata had some damage at rear but it’s boot operated normally, the swift’s front end was significantly damaged.

It’s a practice for people to speed up after paying toll assuming speeds are higher on this tollway, but it actually is 50-70 kmph only. Despite interceptors & speed limit signboards people just don care until they suff loss & cause loss to others.
Seems i may have just missed it as I crossed the spot at 9.50 am. Speed limit is actually 50 on both sides. By now everyone knows where the interceptor will be so they slow down near it and speed up once passed.
Old 9th April 2022, 15:15   #34976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For your information, just wet road is sufficient for such bald tyre to hydroplane. It all depends on the speed. The tyres act like a scrapper and pushes the water further...
The important word in your diagram is Standing water. That is what is necessary for aquaplaning: not just wet.

On the other hand, a bad driver, especially with bad tyres, can certainly skid on a road that is just wet. Imagine the case where the road is "just wet" with oil, rather than water: the danger of skidding is hugely increased, and the best driver with the best tyres can suffer.

It's all academic, of course. The good advice given about driving in wet conditions applies, whatever.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 20:06   #34977
BHPian

A scary looking incident took place in Mangaluru as per the news as a speeding car jumps divider and rams into a scooty. Seems to be a case of drunk driving .

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/on-c...ndtv_topscroll
Old 9th April 2022, 21:10   #34978
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, I have been advocating from a decade or so, all my friends to put the new tyres in the rear, if they are changing just a pair. For this very same reason.
I think new tyres should go to drive wheels first (if changing only two not all four). So, if rear wheel drive based vehicle, as you said they go to rear. But for most FWD cars they should go to front .
Old 9th April 2022, 21:30   #34979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
I think new tyres should go to drive wheels first (if changing only two not all four). So, if rear wheel drive based vehicle, as you said they go to rear. But for most FWD cars they should go to front .
Thanks for clarifying your doubt. They go to the rear irrespective of RWD or not.
There is a thread on teambhp for this
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ront-rear.html (Where to Install a New Pair of Tyres? Front or rear?)

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th April 2022 at 13:45. Reason: Skewed views on male/female abilities removed.
MT_Hyderabad is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 12:21   #34980
Senior - BHPian

Nexon takes a nasty hit. Accident reported from Gujarat where at early morning hours Nexon collided with a truck which was standing stationery on highway ,no information about passengers but it's almost impossible to survive such a crash.

Stay within limits otherwise even 5 star rated car may not able to save you.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n4.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks