Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 10:24   #34996
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This section of Airport road is so badly designed, it is a place for an accident waiting to happen. There were plenty of bad accidents that had happened at this section.

Riders/drivers on the service road think it is their right of way to cut across and join the main road, since the service road continues to join the ring road at the Hebbal intersection. Most of the traffic merges onto the main Airport road at this point to go over the Hebbal flyover. On the other hand, vehicles coming down from the Airport road , come in good speed until this point and have to brake hard to avoid accidents because of vehicles merging onto the main road without bothering to check for traffic (which is a trait on Indian roads anyway).

Like many others said, honk honk honk when in midst of two/three wheelers. It may annoy people inside the car as well as outside, but you can avoid situations like these.
Heck, I even honk couple of times when approaching a two wheeler on a straight/un-divided road.

Last edited by tharian : 13th April 2022 at 10:26.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 10:44   #34997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranton View Post
Someone must have instigated the young guy to file a case me to get some more money.
Don't be surprised if that someone were the cops themselves. A few years ago, when my friends and I were returning from a trip to Masinagudi, a drunk biker hit my friend's stationary car head on. This was in Malavalli police limits. While the biker apologized and my friend left the spot, he was surprised to be chased down by a patrol vehicle 10 minutes later on the town outskirts. They were threatened and dragged them to police station for hit and run! His was a TN registered vehicle and the dashcam footage was sized.

Unfortunately for the cops and fortunately for my friend, the trip had 3 lawyers who were in my car. We were behind them by 30 minutes and the belligerent cops changed their tone once they realized they have bitten more than they can chew. The SI left the station apparently for a cup of tea and couple of minutes later a constable requested my friends to leave.

Last edited by SR-71 : 13th April 2022 at 11:11.
SR-71 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:14   #34998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
As a mental note, if you see bikers without rear-view mirrors splitting the lanes, try to stay behind, honk as much as possible and then overtake. It is pathetic, but that's the reality.
Cannot second this enough!
I never really get as to why many bikers get their mirrors removed.
Better safe than sorry.
mak.prasada is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:21   #34999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/baDX3VBeRZ0

The biker apologised for his mistake and his mother also thanked me for paying hospital bills.

2 weeks later, I got a call from the local police station (2 hours away from my house) that there is a guy who filed a complaint against me for causing an accident.
Good you had the dashcam footage

From experience, get it in writing after you pay the hospital bills and stuff that it was his mistake and has no complaints.

Friends, Family, Some lawyer acquaintance will give bad advice.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:52   #35000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
I always honk like a clown when I see a biker going in the middle of the road. Bonus honks if,
Second this. Works like a charm especially in Bangalore where most of the roads don't even have lane demarcations. During peak hours on outer ring road, the deadly combination of rushing office goers on their activas and the swiggy/ zomato daredevils make driving a challenge and keeps you on your toes. I am unapologetic about honking as it has kept myself safe from untowardly incidents.
anoopGTkrish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:59   #35001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
This coupled with the thick A-pillars of the EcoSport prevented me from noticing the biker's lane change intention.
I've a forward facing dash cam in my car, but how did you manage the reverse view ? Is it synchronized ? For a while now, I am realizing front dash cam alone do not at all tell the whole story.
Old 13th April 2022, 12:25   #35002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
I've a forward facing dash cam in my car, but how did you manage the reverse view ? Is it synchronized ? For a while now, I am realizing front dash cam alone do not at all tell the whole story.
There is a separate rear dashcam installed. I have just joined the two video footages together. It's recommended to have both front and rear dashcams instead of just one, both are equally important in case of any incidents.

Name:  RearCam.png
Views: 1136
Size:  321.6 KB
Funny is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 14:08   #35003
BHPian

Quote:
This unfortunate incident happened a few weeks back. The biker put the indicator and immediately turned right without checking for vehicle behind
I drive through this part everyday and it's tricky given there are 2 entry / exits points between the service road and the airport road. Glad to hear the 2W guy got away with minor injury. Thanks for sharing.

I honestly don't understand why we have a service road continue past the airport flyover at all. Honestly the Airport Road Flyover should probably just continue going to the Hebbal Flyover and for folks who need to go towards ORR should exit at Jakkur. There's more folks who come Yelahanka, Jakkur, Sahakarnagar and Amruthahalli than from airport. They can continue going to Hebbal Flyover or ORR without having to slowdown for cross traffic.
pradeepkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 15:23   #35004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
Dual dashcams have been around for quite sometime and you'll find plenty of options in the market. The videos are synchronised and numbered in a way that it'll be easy to pair them. The mic is usually only up in the front but the audio is overlayed on the rear video as well. Of course, some nuances might be different for different brands but the takeaway is that you will get footage of both front and rear synchronised.

In fact, I personally don't get the concept of a "front only" dashcam at all. A dashcam's only purpose is to record footage continuously so that in case of any event the footage can be used to help in law enforcement. And for this, the rear is as important as the front. So you're absolutely right there.

Head over to the TBHP thread on dashcams if you haven't checked this already:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...vr-thread.html (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

One tip from my side, many brands cheap out on the rear camera. Standing by the logic I shared above, the rear camera should be as good as the front camera. I have a Viofo A129 Duo which has both front and rear camera with identical specs.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 13th April 2022 at 15:32.
krishnakumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 16:29   #35005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The question being asked is whose fault is this?
Contributory factors are merging of Innova, SX4 and lane markings. But these are the very same factors which need to be weighed by a good driver and avoid hazardous situations.

However, Seltos mistake absolutely, Driver is trying to drive through non-existential gap which is evidently visible to him. Pathetic judgement, driving sense and discipline.
Old 13th April 2022, 19:30   #35006
BHPian

Quote:
I live close by to this area and the opening there is the only way to go up the flyover ahead. For regulars we always take the left lane knowing that it's common for people to just cut in due to this design flow. I feel the opening can do with some mild rumble strips to marginally slow down those not familiar. Lucky for you that nothing serious happened as even the dash cam footage is not entirely convincing might be considered as overspeeding even though you were filling all the rules.
nissar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 19:58   #35007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other lesson I learnt that day was related to post accident handling of the situation. If one needs medical attention then it's best to find a small clinic nearby and avoid big commercial Hospitals. This being my first time, I didn't think much while we went to a big Hospital at a walkable distance. The experience at the Hospital's Emergency Room was below par. They made me run to the pharmacy and invoicing counter multiple times that took a up lot of time which resulted in delayed attention to the injured. And let's not even get to the amount I was charged at the Hospital. The Hospital didn't care about the emergency situation, they lacked any sense of urgency and were only focused on creating a huge unnecessary bill. Let's just say I was billed for 3 different doctor consultations (1 of which got waived off after my confrontation) which supposedly happened within a span of 15 mins while I was busy clearing some other invoice at their reception
You were at least attended to since you went to a bigger hospital. Smaller clinics just turn the people away if it is an accident case. I have seen it twice. The first time, I was waiting in a clinic when one young man was rushed in after an accident. They just gave him some cotton and basically shoved him out. The second incident happened last month. An elderly couple's car crashed into a pillar in our apartment parking lot. Very minor hit but since the lady was not wearing seatbelt, her head hit the dashboard and she had a minor cut and bleeding. I was taking out my car and offered to drive to a nearby clinic. The same story, they just asked us to go to a bigger hospital since it is a head injury without even providing any first aid.
Jaguar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 16:58   #35008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Something very similar happened to me. Was cruising at around 85-90km/hr on Nh 47 near Thrissur when a biker merged onto the highway and crashed onto my car (BMW 320d). He was a young guy 19-20 years old on his new Dominar, hardly a month old. I took him to a nearby hospital and was soon joined by his friends and locals at the hospital. Those who saw the incident admitted it was biker's fault.
Good that nothing serious happened and the case got closed.

But in my opinion, looking at the dashcam footage, cruising at 85-90kmph at that crowded junction having a signal doesn't sound right. At least in Maharashtra, the speed limit on NH around town area is 50 kmph. If I was in such a situation I would have reduced my speed, especially if I was on the left lane, and would have used my car's horn. Not saying you were wrong, but just some desi things that we have to do on roads.

Last edited by NiInJa : 14th April 2022 at 17:03.
NiInJa is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 23:52   #35009
Senior - BHPian

While driving from Sivasagar to Dibrugarh today afternoon, a tree branch fell down right in front of my vehicle during heavy rain. My TUV3OO took a minor hit

Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20220415_170449.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20220415_170440.jpg  

Last edited by airbus : 16th April 2022 at 00:10. Reason: Addition.
airbus is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 03:02   #35010
BHPian

Quote:

He showed a 2 second clip of the accident (from the cctv footage from a nearby bakery) from a side profile where you can't make out who's at fault. I showed my clip and the SI immediately asked the other guy why he wants to file a case against me as my footage clearly shows who's at fault and dismissed the case.
The callousness of this biker astounds me. I don’t know if it’s genuine ignorance of how right of way works while driving or the general attitude of luxury car must be the one at mistake.

Every single day when driving, the antics from our bikers really really annoys me to the core. And I say this as a person who prefers riding than driving. I guess this is the result of giving out licenses like a candy.
Yieldway17 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks