Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2022, 09:44   #35011
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
While driving from Sivasagar to Dibrugarh today afternoon, a tree branch fell down right in front of my vehicle during heavy rain.
Glad that all it caused was a minor dent.

A few years back, I was driving down an underpass. The road would have been 12-15 feet below ground level, and the streetlights were placed at ground level.

I heard a thud sound behind and when i checked in the centre RVM, I saw the bottom part of a streetlight housing lying on the ground. Just a fraction of a second difference and it would have landed on my car, from a height of at least 25 feet. It looked solidly built and heavy. Lucky escape!
adisan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 23:34   #35012
Distinguished - BHPian

A motorcyclist ran into the back of me today. I guess it did not occur to him that, approaching a blind right turn on the narrow road, the car ahead of him (me) might have to brake suddenly and move to the left. He fell off, but I saw him standing up so I just drove on. I was not going to spoil my mood with arguing over minor bumper scars. Or why it wasn't my fault that he ran into me.

I stopped just around the corner to check for damage. I didn't see any. Later, I noticed the paint is chipped. Never mind: when the bumper gets enough scars, then I'll get it fixed. All part of the price to pay for driving on these roads.

Was just glad he ran into the back of my car, rather than getting trapped doing a left-hand overtake. That could have done a lot more damage to both of us!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 18:37   #35013
BHPian

The moment I see jaywalkers, bikers or cyclists in my vicinity on a narrow stretch of road, my first instinct is to honk, second is to slow down. I always expect them to cut in front of me, so I keep my speed in check and honk a few more times till I have a clear road to overtake them. Another thing that scares me is people standing on the divider waiting for an opportunity to cross the road. I always imagine them waiting to jump in front of my car to commit suicide. So again I honk and keep my speed manageable. Not always possible based on traffic conditions. I am an extremely paranoid driver thanks to our road conditions and non existent civic sense of our fellow citizens.
yashg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 22:36   #35014
Distinguished - BHPian

Me too. Especially...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Another thing that scares me is people standing on the divider waiting for an opportunity to cross the road. I always imagine them waiting to jump in front of my car to commit suicide. So again I honk and keep my speed manageable.
I brake. The people who have to drive behind me probably hate me for it, but I don't care! Hatred I can handle, flesh on the road, I can't.

Priorities!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 22:53   #35015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing that scares me is people standing on the divider waiting for an opportunity to cross the road.
It is a bit concerning when I see such people. Leads me to think:
- Will they lose balance and stumble on to my path?
- If they seem lost in thought, will they unknowingly wander on to my path?
I usually sound horn unless they seem quite attentive and alert.
adisan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 03:43   #35016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
I usually sound horn unless they seem quite attentive and alert.
I know, this country is too loud, and drivers create a lot of the noise pollution, but, I really believe in letting people know I am there. I am glad when others do the same for me: a stupid overtake with a honk is far better than no honk.

Just a little beep.

Counterpoint

From a very early driving lesson:

Dad, "Why didn't you slow down as you passed that guy walking on the road?"
Me, "I honked!"
Dad, "How do you know he wasn't deaf?"

However much we think of, there's always something else!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 14:42   #35017
BHPian

Quote:
Another thing that scares me is people standing on the divider waiting for an opportunity to cross the road. I always imagine them waiting to jump in front of my car to commit suicide. So again I honk and keep my speed manageable.
In addition I flash my headlamps to make my intentions clear.
dpat17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 16:34   #35018
BHPian

A suggestion for safe driving based on a situation encountered recently: please always anticipate that any animal can cross over from the plants that are planted to block high beams on highways.

On a recent trip I saw many cows in the middle of the road eating those plants and they can appear unpredictably. In summer the availability of vegetation is less, so animals start eating the divider foliage. I recommend strictly adhering to the speed limit and driving in the middle of the lane, not on the right end.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 17:06   #35019
Distinguished - BHPian

Massive crash between Skoda Kushaq & Toyota Fortuner: MP rescues the injured in her Innova Crysta

No use of helmet by the biker though

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-c146aef9301b4eb9b508a05e5a3aa3a6.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-0d7c5e60e3cd44d8a125b53037eb3633.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-8ff77d7718b2479e998eba1e231aea09.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a41a77a776604ed3bd4e93c80adfbd36.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-aed8a5cb6b184c85bc97a9b9f81a064e.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3086a734f12f4e9b9ca6d5c5a41d4c78.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ad825ff8394e4ae5a5f2903594edfc98.jpeg

https://twitter.com/rishibagree/stat...UxHmuQ75yRgOUA

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 18th April 2022 at 17:10.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 19:12   #35020
Senior - BHPian

Looks like some high speed crash, the way both the cars have suffered damages. But at the same time looks like both Kushaq and Fortuner has absorbed the impact well keeping the occupants safe.
Old 18th April 2022, 19:31   #35021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

From a very early driving lesson:

Dad, "Why didn't you slow down as you passed that guy walking on the road?"
Me, "I honked!"
Dad, "How do you know he wasn't deaf?"

In today's context, there are more chances of even a normal person having earphones plugged in his ears paired to his mobile, behaving the same way.

If you are privileged enough , you may even get to see a spontaneous dance move out of the blue when you least expect it.
Fx14 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 22:58   #35022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
The biker put the indicator and immediately turned right without checking for vehicle behind which could've been avoided if he had mirrors on his bike or if he had checked properly before switching lanes. I was also at fault for not honking since I was not anticipating this situation.
Like you've admitted yourself: Always, always be cautious of 2-wheelers hogging lanes/ lane splitting/ inching towards the direction of an exit lane or turning.

Most dangerous thing 2-wheelers do is overtake a car from the left despite the car being on the extreme left, indicating to turn left and slowing down to make the turn. This has happened to me so many times that I always check my mirrors before making the left turn no matter how close I am to the curb or how long I've indicated giving enough time for people to not overtake me from the left.

The main thing is to anticipate and, I'm sorry to say this, honk once or twice to warn them of your presence. These days people just blame anyone other than themselves even if they are at fault. Road sense post COVID has deteriorated grossly!
tunedv8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 23:22   #35023
Senior - BHPian

Very tragic accident. RIP the young soul.

Vishwa Deenadayalan, 18-year-old Tamil Nadu table tennis player, dies in road accident.

Quote:
Vishwa Deenadayalan, a Table Tennis player from Tamil Nadu, died and his three teammates were injured in a road mishap in Meghalaya, police said. The tragic incident occurred on Sunday when Vishwa, 18, and three other Tamil Nadu Tennis players were on their way in a tourist taxi from Guwahati airport to Shillong to take part in the 83rd Senior National Table Tennis Championship.

The taxi in which the four players were travelling, collided with a 12-wheel truck at Ri-Bhoi district injuring them critically while Vishwa died on the way to Nongpoh Civil hospital. The other three injured players were rushed from Nongpoh to North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS) in Shillong.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 23:50   #35024
BHPian

Never thought I will make an entry into this thread, but here I am!

Accident at 7.55pm in Bangalore on 18th April 2022, caught on my dash cam.

My car hit a person on BOUNCE scooter sideways and I took him to a BIG CHAIN hospital and got him first aid.

Docs ran a battery of tests and discharged him saying he is ok and has no trauma or blunt force injuries, but only few abrasions. We left the hospital after the guy’s pals turned up as we had nothing else to do.

The victim's bro called and demanded us to half the amount (About 6,000 RS) in a threatening manner, which we said we will not pay unless advised by insurer/lawyer.

Can somebody advise what needs to be done, looking at this video clip?

I spoke to my insurer ACKO who were useless and asked for an FIR copy for 3rd party insurance claim. I am not keen on circling the police stations.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd April 2022 at 17:09. Reason: Cleaning up typos (wrong capitalisation, misplaced apostrophes), proper spacing and paragraphing.
1985Darkkid85 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 23:51   #35025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Massive crash between Skoda Kushaq & Toyota Fortuner: MP rescues the injured in her Innova Crysta

No use of helmet by the biker though
Had it only been the rider without a helmet. His pillion rider has no helmet and carrying a small baby.

Which is worse?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks