Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2022, 11:17   #35041
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post

Can somebody advise what needs to be done, looking at this video clip?
I am not keen on circling the police stations.
From clip we can make out fault was on both sides.
Both the vehicles did not pause before the junction thinking it was their right of way ( i know such thing doesn't exist in india ).

Maintain your cool and tell the guy threatening you that you have conclusive video evidence to prove scooter was at wrong end, and you are ready to fight the case.
Old 19th April 2022, 11:31   #35042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never thought i will make an entry into this thread, but here i am!
Insurance company is not liable for any settlement you do without their consent, and they will never consent to it. So forget that part.

From the video I would put the blame on you, if I were a judge. Your car has T Boned the scooter, so he had already entered the intersection before you and then it was your duty to stop and yield. Also it doesn't look like you slowed down or were even payong attention to the road.

Anyway, I think the best action now is to settle, pay 6k and get in writing from the scooter fellow that he has settled amicably. A copy of the doctors' reports would help too.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:07   #35043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I spoke to my insurer ACKO who were useless and asked for an FIR copy for 3rd party insurance claim.
Not the question you are asking, but you are 100% at fault (contrary to what you were saying on camera). The biker on your left is a good indication of what your speed/action should have been before the junction. A honk is not a means to get right-of-way.

This thread (Involved in road accident | FIR vs Outside settlement) might help you for pointers on next steps. But on a humane point, I'd probably be extremely humble to the victim's family in all conversations. How you take forward the payment & related conversations is up to you.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:13   #35044
Senior - BHPian

As someone who has been involved in a mishap like this and that too in front of Parliament House, let me say 6k is a very small amount to get rid of all the hassle you can get in. Forget who was right and wrong, pay them and settle it asap.

As most members pointed out if this goes to the authority you will be declared at fault based on the footage or otherwise.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:19   #35045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Remember one thing, the majority of the people who use these broken-down rental bikes don't care about the bike or themseflves at all! The way they ride is a risk to themselves and others on the road.

That being said I would just pay this small amount and let it go, also ensure you get a letter from them saying that they are fine and are closing this matter. As tomorrow they should not call you for more money.
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:50   #35046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
In a RHD country like ours, at an intersection, the vehicle coming from your right hand side has the right of way. Reverse for LHD countries.
Sorry, for LHD countries (most of the ones in EU), vehicle coming from the right hand side in a crossroad (without signs) has the right of way. RHD countries,I see differences in rules.
carthick1000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 13:12   #35047
BHPian

Quote:

There is no right or wrong way to handle this. Most of the people are forced to pay a settlement amount due to crowd's fury and taking sides at the spot which did not happen in your case.

However, if you choose to pay the Rs 6K (out of humanitarian concerns), there is no guarantee that they will not drag you to the police station for insurance money.

Off topic question: Is the OP obligated to handover the dashcam footage to the police ?
kochup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 13:30   #35048
Senior - BHPian

Dont know who has the right of way or not, as both looks cross roads and not main road. I am generally fast driver, but when driving in roads like this I ensure my speed go down to as low as 5kmph look on both the sides and then only proceed, especially at night. Here the roads are dark, looks like it rained too - one cannot just keep proceeding only by blowing horn. There are worst cases where in these kind of by-lanes bikes come even without headlights - so better be safe than sorry.

Here in this case, I believe both of you are equally at fault. He thought he has the right of way and you thought you have. But we all learn from mistakes and glad that nothing escalated much.

You can settle outside paying 6k, but ensure if you are doing so there is a closure rather than they following up with you on additional payments.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 14:02   #35049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Sorry, for LHD countries (most of the ones in EU), vehicle coming from the right hand side in a crossroad (without signs) has the right of way. RHD countries, I see differences in rules.
Is this applicable only for intersection without signs? What kind of sign are you talking about?
Old 19th April 2022, 14:30   #35050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In a RHD country like ours, at an intersection, the vehicle coming from your right hand side has the right of way. Reverse for LHD countries.
As far as I know, in my mother country (which I think counts as developed, although I often have doubts ) there is no such rule. There is a rule that vehicles coming from the right have priority on roundabouts. There is no rule, but there is no need for one, because even small lanes will have stop or give-way road markings. If they do not, then making any assumption would be dangerous, and everybody should slow down and look.

About speeds and safety, I'll dredge up one of my old stories. I was driving a rather nice, hired, VW Passat Estate, on a GB rural main road, at 60MPH. I respected the 50MPH-limit sign, drove around the corner, smash, into a car that was crossing and had stalled in the middle of the junction! Lesson learnt that day: speed limit is no indication of safe speed.

Whatever the country/culture, it is over-optimistic to think that everybody obeys rules all the time. Even on a one-way road, watch out for traffic coming the wrong way! Another lesson I learned long before driving in India. Even as a pedestrian, always look both ways on a one-way road.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 14:32   #35051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
From clip we can make out fault was on both sides.
Both the vehicles did not pause before the junction thinking it was their right of way ( i know such thing doesn't exist in india ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Dont know who has the right of way or not, as both looks cross roads and not main road.

Here in this case, I believe both of you are equally at fault. He thought he has the right of way and you thought you have. But we all learn from mistakes and glad that nothing escalated much.

This is an excerpt taken from the Motor Vehicles (Driving) Regulations, 2017

Under Point 9 (page 20), it is clearly mentioned as given below:

Quote:
  1. The vehicle shall invariably slow down when approaching a road intersection, a road junction, a pedestrian crossing or a road corner, and shall not enter any such intersection, junction or crossing if it is likely to endanger the safety of other road users moving onto, or already on, such intersection, road junction, pedestrian crossing or road corner.
  2. At intersections and junctions, vehicles approaching from the right side shall have the right of way. Provided that this sub-regulation shall not apply,-
    • when the junction or intersection is being regulated by manual signals by an authorised person, traffic lights or mandatory traffic signs; or
    • when the vehicle is exiting a minor road and entering a major road
The above interpreted visually is as below (green car has right of way, orange car doesn't):

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-right-way.jpg

Figure 1 shows when the intersection is between a Major and Minor road and where it is unmanned/does not have a signal. In this case, the vehicles playing on the Major road categorically has the right of way (irrespective of whether approaching from right or left).

Figure 2 shows when the intersection is between 2 roads of equal importance. Please note that this has nothing to do with width of the road. Each road is classified as Arterial, Sub-Arterial, Distributory etc. Roads of the same classification will be considered as equal. (Experts, correct me if I'm wrong). In this case, the vehicle approaching the intersection from right has the right of way.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 19th April 2022 at 14:40.
krishnakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 15:11   #35052
BHPian

Quote:
Is this applicable only for intersection without signs? What kind of sign are you talking about?
My experience comes from years of driving in NL (and occasional trips to other EU countries). Usually in streets within urban areas, there are intersections with and without YIELD/GIVE WAY signs. When the sign is there it is clear. But when it is not there, the vehicle coming from right has the priority. The above are various types of yield/give away boards in NL (and probably in most EU countries).

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 862
Size:  50.6 KB

B1 - You have priority when you see this. It is usually on faster intercity roads (80kmph ~100kmph)
B2 - End of the priority road
B3 - You have priority and be aware that there are 2 small roads intersecting the major road you are on.
B4 & B5 - Similar to B3 but only small roads join left and right resp.
B6 - You have to yield to other crossing traffic, when you see this sign
B7 - You have come to a stop no matter what. Then check and let crossing traffic. This is mostly found at crossroads or T-splits.
J8 - You are approaching a crossroad where the visibility might be limited for both you and the crossing traffic. Here the vehicle from right has priority.

Also if you don't see any sign and approach a crossroad, then the vehicle from right has the priority.Something like this:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220419-114106.png

Last edited by carthick1000 : 19th April 2022 at 15:27.
carthick1000 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 15:58   #35053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Sorry, for LHD countries (most of the ones in EU), vehicle coming from the right hand side in a crossroad (without signs) has the right of way. RHD countries,I see differences in rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Under Point 9 (page 20), it is clearly mentioned as given below:
Figure 2 shows when the intersection is between 2 roads of equal importance. Please note that this has nothing to do with width of the road. In this case, the vehicle approaching the intersection from right has the right of way.
There is a famous saying when they teach you driving, Right is always Right. Looks, like it's the same for LHD/ RHD if we go through these. The basic idea must be that it's easier to look/ glance at the right side.

But, I always follow the old way, look to your left and then right and then proceed, there is not much we can do with the right of way. Bigger vehicles get the right usually

If two vehicles come to an uncontrolled intersection from different roads at the same time, the driver on the left must let the driver on the right go first. This is called yielding the right-of-way.

At an intersection without signs or lights, you must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle approaching the intersection before you, and if you arrive at the same time, the vehicle approaching from the right has the right-of-way

Interested folks can read the below basics, most of us have complete ignorance of many of these simple rules.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/offi...-intersections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is a rule that vehicles coming from the right have priority on roundabouts.

Correct, and the other way in EU/ US. Basic idea is that traffic that is already in the roundabout doesn't have to brake and clog the roundabout. The traffic, which has to merge into the roundabout has to wait until it's clear and safe.

Another important rule is not to block the intersection or traffic light, if you cannot cross the intersection and even have a green light, you will need to wait until the road ahead is clear.

Quote:
Whatever the country/culture, it is over-optimistic to think that everybody obeys rules all the time. Even on a one-way road, watch out for traffic coming the wrong way! Another lesson I learned long before driving in India. Even as a pedestrian, always look both ways on a one-way road.

Well said

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th April 2022 at 16:24. Reason: Minor correction.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 16:51   #35054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Basic idea is that traffic that is already in the roundabout doesn't have to brake and clog the roundabout. The traffic, which has to merge into the roundabout has to wait until it's clear and safe.
But if you are in France, they have some strange rules for roundabouts

Quote:
Roundabouts in France can be little more complicated given that when you arrive at a roundabout traffic will be coming from the left.

To make matters worse France distinguishes between two type of roundabout: a rond-point and a Carrefour à sens giratoire, which are far more common now.

For a rond-point you are expected to give priority to vehicles entering from the right, even if you are on the roundabout. These are generally the smaller roundabouts, but this is also the case at the Arc de Triomphe roundabout in Paris . There will be no signs or road markings at these kind of roundabouts.

But at a Carrefour à sens giratoire priority is given to the vehicles already engaged on the roundabout, so if you are arriving at the roundabout, you are the one that has to give way, which will probably feel more normal.

Each entrance to these kind of roundabouts will be marked with give way signs (cédez le passage) and road markings.
source
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 20:27   #35055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Accident at 7.55pm in Bangalore on 18th April 2022, caught on my dash cam.

My car hit a person on BOUNCE scooter sideways and i took him to a BIG CHAIN hospital and got him first aid..
I know enough people above have made you feel worse.

Couple of points that I noticed.

1. You were perhaps focussed on where the next turn is, going by the conversation
2. Is that a small rumble speed breaker, at the 8th second in the video? I see that the bike you overtook brake, for the speed breaker whereas you probably missed that because of trying to make sure you don’t miss the turn per the maps

Right actions from you to make sure the biker is treated and is ok. Hopefully you close this incident smoothly with the brothers. You don’t want to run the risk of the biker visiting a police station. The video is now in public domain and you don’t want this biker to somehow chance across this thread/video.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 19th April 2022 at 20:28. Reason: Spelling

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks