Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:19   #35071
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Apparently, the top court in our country has different ideas
If this verdict becomes precedence, we can expect airbags to deploy in all crashes, even if the deployment is nonrelevant.
The top court in our country is not infallible and does overreach in a variety of situations and over a number of topics, but with the right intentions. And the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Airbags are not meant to be deployed in all situations. This is a known fact. And then again - do you really want this situation to play out?

There are so many situations where you wouldn't want the airbags to deploy. The costs involved in setting it right will be a nuisance. We sometimes hit the dashboard/steering wheel in anger or playfully. Your pet dog might jump/lean on the car's front bumper forcefully...

Here's an overseas law firm's take on the topic.

https://www.shragerlaw.com/why-would...0the%20process.

Excerpt:
Quote:
Your car contains sensors that collect information during a crash and evaluate whether or not to deploy the airbags. The airbags aren’t meant to deploy during every single collision, so working sensors and wiring are key parts of the process.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 16:32   #35072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Sir, I'd like to rephrase it. Even as a pedestrian, always look both way on a "NO ENTRY" road.
I'd like to rephrase my post too!

Especially as a pedestrian...
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 19:16   #35073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
On the other hand, vehicles coming down from the Airport road , come in good speed until this point and have to brake hard to avoid accidents because of vehicles merging onto the main road without bothering to check for traffic (which is a trait on Indian roads anyway).
Another issue is that BMTC and private buses stop on the main road immediately after the service road merges into the main road. So vehicles merging from service onto main not only have to take care of traffic from behind but also that in front of them-else they will have an underride with a BMTC
Old 24th April 2022, 10:20   #35074
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Count the number of flyover-ascend/flyover-descend/underpass-start/underpass-end/service-road-start/service-road-merge/perpendicular-road-start/perpendicular-road-merge on a main arterial road in Bangalore. I bet that 90% of such points will have a bus-stop.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 11:51   #35075
BANNED

I had a brush with a heavy vehicle today. My right ORVM has got knocked off. Kindly suggest how I must avoid this in future. I feel that the driver had acted aggressively but I could be wrong. I had removed my heavy horns recently because I had started driving in the morning mostly since they are done with the family. This punctuated the heating due to them obstructing the air flow to radiator which was under control during my cooler night drives. I do feel a blare from my heavy horns would have dissuaded the driver's aggressive action. I will work on installing some heavy air horn without obstructing air flow to the radiator .

Last edited by COMMUTER : 24th April 2022 at 12:11.
COMMUTER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 13:02   #35076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I had a brush with a heavy vehicle today. My right ORVM has got knocked off. Kindly suggest how I must avoid this in future.
You had space to move to the left!

Were you trying to take on the truck just because he was in the middle possibly overtaking the biker?

We have a defensive driving thread here on Team-bhp, you really need to visit it.
nitkel is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 13:06   #35077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a brush with a heavy vehicle today. My right ORVM has got knocked off. Kindly suggest how I must avoid this in future. I feel that the driver had acted aggressively but I could be wrong.
It is a narrow, undivided road, with two-wheelers at the extreme left on both sides. Heavy vehicles tend to leave more space when passing two-wheelers. In such conditions, it would have been better to move a bit more to your left, since the heavy vehicle was overtaking the two-wheelers.
adisan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 13:21   #35078
BANNED

In the place where I am at, left side overtake is bound to happen all the time. I can't swerve to left all the way without doubting a two wheeler inthe midst of a overtaking maneuver to be aside the car in the left. But yes, I will keep an eye out for that in future.
COMMUTER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 15:51   #35079
BHPian

Quote:
I can't swerve to left all the way without doubting a two wheeler inthe midst of a overtaking maneuver to be aside the car in the left.
For one you shouldn't have tried overtaking the bike in front once you saw the truck was trying to overtake as well. Also you were sufficiently to the left before you pulled out so it's highly unlikely anyone would have gotten into the left in that short amount of time. You could've checked your mirrors as well.

Simply slowing and getting back behind the bike is what you should've done and I can't say any blame lies with the truck in this particular incident, nor was he being aggressive as you claim. You were loitering there towards the median and this was a lapse in judgement from your part.
sravankrishnan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 00:20   #35080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly suggest how I must avoid this in future. I feel that the driver had acted aggressively but I could be wrong.
Thankfully, it was just a minor brush.

Did you manage to catch him? Assuming the u-turn before the clip ends, was to go after the truck?

I don’t feel the truck was being too aggressive. Only way to avoid such an incident would probably be to slow down and yield.

The risk with depending on a horn to intimidate others is, it will only work till you come face to face with someone who has a bigger/louder horn than you.
Dry Ice is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 09:52   #35081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a brush with a heavy vehicle today. My right ORVM has got knocked off.
At 0.08s in the video one can notice the truck driver preparing to overtake the two wheeler on his left. At 0.09s in the video, I see you slowed down and steered (yielded a bit) to the left, perhaps after analyzing the situation in front of you.

I feel, the truck driver while overtaking the two wheeler on his left, left a larger gap to his left and in this process came too close to your vehicle, the truck driver miscalculated the overtaking maneuver a bit. Having said that, could you have yielded a bit more - yes.

BTW, which car do you drive? I'm asking this to understand the size of the ORVMs. I would be eager to know what happened after the U-turn? Did you chase the truck?

Spike
Old 25th April 2022, 14:57   #35082

I witnessed an accident yesterday (April 24, 2022) involving an Omni and stray cattle on Kannur Road in Bangalore.

The Omni driver was a tad too late to notice the cow crossing the road and had to swerve at the last minute to avoid hitting the cow, causing the van to veer off the road and hit a light pole.

Luckily, both the driver of Omni and the cow escaped this incident unharmed.

Last edited by TemporalFalcon : 25th April 2022 at 15:22.
TemporalFalcon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 16:32   #35083

My father had an accident on his TVS Jupiter today. He was turning right at the DCM crossing where BRTS corridor is also there, so lights here work in manner that when BRTS corridor has red light others cannot turn, so as to allow BRTS roadways buses to pass and avoid any accident and when BRTS corridor has red light the buses have to stop inside the corridor to allow other vehicles on road to turn right or left. Unfortunately and rather unsurprisingly the Roadways driver decided to jump the red light at a very high speed and as my father was turning right, he had an accident.

I am typing this from the hospital, dad has been operated upon and is currently Fortunately and by Almighty's grace he is not in danger but has around 6 fractures, one at some bone in the neck area (cannot recall the proper name) , four in the ribs and one minor fracture at the lower back also a big wound at the area above left eyebrow. The doctor says he will wait to decide if CT scan needs to be done.

Somewhat relief comes from the fact that police and roadways department officer immediately arrived at the hospital and asked for whatever help is required.

My hands have been shivering since last 4 hours, I just am not able to comprehend anything.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th April 2022 at 12:02. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Sudeep Lakhotia is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 16:52   #35084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeep Lakhotia View Post
My father had an accident on his TVS Jupiter today.

My hands have been shivering since last 4 hours, I just am not able to comprehend anything.
Good to hear that he is out of danger. But, you need to be doubly careful on these fractures as its tough to get on with the regular POP stuff given his age. Consider your family doctor and get proper guidance before proceeding. Back injuries eats up motor skills.

This is the time you have to be really bold, attentive and take definitive steps.
Pray God to give you both strength and quicker relief.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 17:03   #35085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeep Lakhotia View Post
My father had an accident on his TVS Jupiter today. He was turning right at the DCM crossing where BRTS corridor is also there, so lights here work in manner that when BRTS corridor has red light others cannot turn, so as to allow BRTS roadways buses to pass and avoid any accident and when BRTS corridor has red light the buses have to stop inside the corridor to allow other vehicles on road to turn right or left. Unfortunately and rather unsurprisingly the Roadways driver decided to jump the red light at a very high speed and as my father was turning right, he had an accident.

I am typing this from the hospital, dad has been operated upon and is currently Fortunately and by Almighty's grace he is not in danger but has around 6 fractures, one at some bone in the neck area (cannot recall the proper name) , four in the ribs and one minor fracture at the lower back also a big wound at the area above left eyebrow. The doctor says he will wait to decide if CT scan needs to be done.

Somewhat relief comes from the fact that police and roadways department officer immediately arrived at the hospital and asked for whatever help is required.

Oh, sorry to hear about your dad. May he recover soon.

The signalling system you talk about for BRTS is the same in Pune too and have seen so many near misses by people crossing the BRTS lane even when it's red for them or many other vehicles who enter it illegally do not want to wait for the signal. I am always careful on such crossings.

One question about the police case. Have you filed an FIR? Is the driver arrested?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th April 2022 at 12:02. Reason: formatting quoted post
ronford is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed