Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 22:34   #35221
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Content Warning: Disturbing visuals. Viewer discretion advised.

Can anybody translate what happened here? Was this guy drunk or there was some oily substance released from the crop?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st May 2022 at 01:22. Reason: Added content warning due to nature of video.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 23:30   #35222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Can anybody translate what happened here? Was this guy drunk or there was some oily substance released from the crop?
https://Youtu.be/oia2LTdKKZ8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Maruti Ignis accident in Bengaluru

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=TCMNPU3qw_8

Source
While you could die for being stupid at times:
  1. Driving under influence?
  2. Not paying attention
  3. Walking on wrong side,
  4. No protection while riding scooters, etc

You could simply be unlucky at times too. Death, my friends, has its way when it wants you.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 07:29   #35223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Content Warning: Disturbing visuals. Viewer discretion advised.

https://Youtu.be/oia2LTdKKZ8
There is no crop here. That's a different bit of news in the second part.

There is some road work going on. The man on the bike stumbles down, trying to hold the bike either upright or inclined sideways (old style starting trouble?) and/or he was DUI.

The bus doesn't even hit the vehicle. The man tries to get on to the bike, loses balance and falls to the right in to the path of the bus when the bus is passing by. It's a freak accident with humongous bad luck.
asmr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 08:22   #35224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarpit96 View Post
Had a minor accident today on electronic City flyover (for those who don't know, it's a 8km toll flyover).

Ended up driving over the water, which threw ungodly amounts of water on the windshield, the entire windshield was covered, even the passenger side person was not able to see anything. We were blind for a good 3-4 seconds, intial 1 sec
Dude, really sorry to hear about this incident. Hope you get your Nexon sorted out quickly.

I have faced this issue on a couple of occasions. The first time it happened, we were driving down on a flyover which was a 4-laned, divided road and after a heavy downpour, the roads were completely wet and had pools near the divider. I was driving close to the divider. A truck from the other lane splashed a pool of muddy water as it drove past and it splashed all over my windshield!

We were completely blinded for 2-3 seconds, I began panicking and did not quite realise what to do in that instance. The roads were gradually curving as we descended the flyover - should I turn to the left, should I slow down, will I hit the vehicle in the front if it has braked or will someone hit me from behind if we suddenly brake, all sorts of thoughts in that split-second!

I slowed down a bit and thankfully, had the presence of mind to quickly turn on the wiper and the muck from the windshield cleared off in a second or two. My heart was racing like crazy! We decided to take a short break and parked the vehicle for some time.

I have realised that when it rains, no matter how good the roads or the banking are, pools of water get collected close to the divider and it is not a good idea to stick to the lane close to the divider. Your car can hydroplane and the vehicles from the opposite lane can splash water on your windshield too.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:11   #35225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A truck from the other lane splashed a pool of muddy water as it drove past and it splashed all over my windshield!
Several years back I was driving on the left lane on the same flyover at moderate speeds after heavy rain, when a cab which passed ahead splashed muddy water on to my windshield. Others have shared their accounts of how water was splashed, no matter which lane or what speed they were driving at.

The problem is that no amount of logical thinking or planning will help avoid such incidents. Because water can be splashed by a vehicle overtaking, or by a vehicle from the other side. I have seen vehicles on the left side of a flyover getting splashed with water by vehicles above the flyover. By driving on a specific lane at moderate speeds, we can avoid splashing water on our own car or on others.

The only thing which can help at all times would be full focus on driving and presence of mind.
Old 21st May 2022, 11:00   #35226
BHPian

Hi, Would the owner also pay up the No Claim Bonus loss if it's your first claim?
Your car will be in workshop for several days and you need to carry the uncertainty on whether the promise will be fulfilled. Unsure if such things can be converted to money and these losses are repaid.

I'm in a similar situation, and was told that 3rd party insurance wouldn't work as it requires a FIR and also my car would be impounded for 3months till the judgement by court, and therefore, would need to claim from my own insurance and settle the excess amount with the issue creator. Haven't even taken a single rupee till now, and it bothers me on whether the promise will be honored. Keeping fingers crossed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Arpith View Post
Meanwhile the owner transferred 5K and promised he will bear any other expense which we have to pay apart from the insurance claim.
Old 21st May 2022, 12:30   #35227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will agree with locusjag, although it is expected to maintain a gap for an X number of your length or X seconds based on your speed if someone in the front stops when he has no reason to stop & you hit him from the rear; in US/ Canada, the guy who stopped in front of you is considered at fault.
in US, the person who rear ended is considered at fault. You are supposed to keep a safe distance from car in front of you. Ideally 3 second rule is applied.
subramak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 15:53   #35228
BHPian

This video below makes me remember another KTM accident video a few years ago, wherein the rider died when another rider chose to break the rule.
The problem with breaking the rule is that if someone else does it at the same time, nobody will remain ‘in control’

The Content Is Graphic

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 21st May 2022 at 15:57. Reason: Included graphic content warning
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 16:20   #35229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
most of the two wheelers who drive, drive like maniacs without having a thought about their loved ones at home as if its the responsibility of the car/bus/auto driver to adjust to their suicidal tendencies.
By that measure, most car, truck and bus drivers are psychopaths who are out to kill others on the road especially ones in smaller vehicles and two wheeler riders.

Road discipline in India is generally bad irrespective of the number of wheels on the vehicle. It is not just people on two wheelers who are maniacs. Even pedestrians care less and don't think twice about the risk of harm they put themselves and others in.
adwaith is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 17:36   #35230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
The problem is that no amount of logical thinking or planning will help avoid such incidents. Because water can be splashed by a vehicle overtaking, or by a vehicle from the other side. I have seen vehicles on the left side of a flyover getting splashed with water by vehicles above the flyover.
When I'm in other people's cars, I've noticed that, very often, people are not that fussy about keeping the windscreen clear and clean. It is quite often dirty, and/or, just for light rain, they don't bother. But better visibility is just one easy hand movement away.

That may be an entire 'nother story for the people here who are reporting flood water blinding, and it may not be true that they are not turning the wipers on. But I'm getting the impression that, for some, at least, it is not an instinctive first action. It should be. Like hitting the brake if someone appears in front of your car: hit the wipers when water appears in front of your eyes!

It may not be an instant solution. In some cases, the water may just keep on coming. But it is increases the chances. There may be glimpses.

(In writing this post, I'm thinking back to my British motor-way driving, which is fifteen years ago. But hey, British weather! I remember the experience as being a regular feature of that driving, even though the motorways are better engineered.)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st May 2022 at 17:38.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 17:58   #35231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
By that measure, most car, truck and bus drivers are psychopaths who are out to kill others on the road especially ones in smaller vehicles and two wheeler riders.

Road discipline in India is generally bad irrespective of the number of wheels on the vehicle. It is not just people on two wheelers who are maniacs. Even pedestrians care less and don't think twice about the risk of harm they put themselves and others in.
This is exactly the mindset that I was implying. There's an African proverb which goes like this. When elephants fight, its the grass that suffers.
It doesn't matter whether " most car, truck and bus drivers are psychopaths who are out to kill others on the road especially ones in smaller vehicles and two wheeler riders." It's the onus of the two wheeler to get home or work safely because he is the one who stands to lose the most whether he or the other driver breaks the rules. The govt doesn't care one way or another.
I don't see many two wheelers driving defensively. To them, it's a rat race of pointless speeding and weaving and running red lights. The list is endless. If and when an accident happens inside city limits, usually the "psycopaths" walk away because of the protection their vehicle provides but the two wheeler has to bear the brunt of the damages. I really can't emphasize this enough. Your ride is replaceable but your life and limb is not. Regardless of who is right or wrong, ride safe and ride defensively instead of expecting others to follow the rules.
PS - Please don't be offended if I come across strongly as that's not my intent.
Neil Roy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 19:25   #35232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
PS - Please don't be offended if I come across strongly as that's not my intent.
On the contrary, I'd say that you echo thoughts increasingly often expressed on the site, and increasingly strongly. It is highly unlikely that we'll actually get to such riders: they will not be interested in sites such as this. They are not interested in skills to protect their lives, only in "nothing will happen." The bikers among us are, in my experience here, even more frustrated with the skill-less riders than I am.

Of course I'm sorry for that guy: I'm not a monster. But I'm even more sorry for the busdriver.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 19:28   #35233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi Mundur View Post
Hi, Would the owner also pay up the No Claim Bonus loss if it's your first claim?
Your car will be in workshop for several days and you need to carry the uncertainty on whether the promise will be fulfilled. Unsure if such things can be converted to money and these losses are repaid.

I'm in a similar situation, and was told that 3rd party insurance wouldn't work as it requires a FIR and also my car would be impounded for 3months till the judgement by court, and therefore, would need to claim from my own insurance and settle the excess amount with the issue creator. Haven't even taken a single rupee till now, and it bothers me on whether the promise will be honored. Keeping fingers crossed
My policy has NCB protect cover, so I wouldn't lose out on that. But if i didn't have that I would have asked him to pay the NCB amount.

I wonder what is the need of FIR for third party claim when there is no loss of life or injuries. Even I didn't think of third party claim due to this exact reason.
Jonathan Arpith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 21:23   #35234
BHPian

In this freak accident, it's not clear how a car got involved between two trucks head on collision.

6 dead. May their souls rest in peace.

They (trucks) were carrying some chemical, and paper roll, chemical tank burst and engulfed in fire and soon other vehicles were also caught in it.

https://www.anandmarket.in/gujarat-6...ional-highway/
Attached Images

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd May 2022 at 17:02. Reason: Source link corrected
KumarS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 22:10   #35235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That may be an entire 'nother story for the people here who are reporting flood water blinding, and it may not be true that they are not turning the wipers on. But I'm getting the impression that, for some, at least, it is not an instinctive first action. It should be. Like hitting the brake if someone appears in front of your car: hit the wipers when water appears in front of your eyes!
In most cases reported getting blinded thus, people would have switched off the wipers after the rain has stopped or reduced into a very light drizzle. If the wipers were on even in the lowest speed, it would clean the glass within 2-3 seconds after the splash.

Why do some people not turn the wiper on instinctively when blinded by water splashed on the windscreen? My understanding: driving is heavily dependent on visual inputs. Reflexes and instincts kick in only when the mind is active. When visual inputs are unavailable, the mind goes blank. Hence switching the wiper on is not an automatic reaction, but requires thought and effort from the driver. The first time one gets blinded thus will be the real challenge. Probably, any person facing this a second time would be more instinctive in turning the wiper on since the mind has learnt a new lesson.

In contrast, when small quantities of water are sprayed on the windshield (typically by heavy vehicles on a wet road), most experienced drivers automatically switch the wiper on.
adisan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed