Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2022, 22:55   #35236
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hi Arpith and other team-bhpians, any guidelines on what is to be done if the other person doesn't pay up as very few keep their promises, and then blocks our calls. We can't even go to the nearby Police now, as the accident has happened in a different and far away jurisdiction. Not a good deal to base it on promises. Traditional, on spot monetary settlement seems to be a best way .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Arpith View Post
My policy has NCB protect cover, so I wouldn't lose out on that. But if i didn't have that I would have asked him to pay the NCB amount.

I wonder what is the need of FIR for third party claim when there is no loss of life or injuries. Even I didn't think of third party claim due to this exact reason.
Prithvi Mundur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 17:09   #35237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
This is exactly the mindset that I was implying. There's an African proverb which goes like this. When elephants fight, its the grass that suffers.
It doesn't matter whether " most car, truck and bus drivers are psychopaths who are out to kill others on the road especially ones in smaller vehicles and two wheeler riders." It's the onus of the two wheeler to get home or work safely because he is the one who stands to lose the most whether he or the other driver breaks the rules. The govt doesn't care one way or another.
Not exactly. While there is a personal responsibility on a riders' or drivers' part to get to their destination, the onus is not on them alone. Everyone on the road has a duty to every other person using the road. Whether the government cares or not, we must strive to drive and ride better and spare a thought for the others as well. This isn't exactly a gladatorial contest where every man is for himself. Everyone has a responsibility.

On the other hand, what you mentioned in the earlier post comes off as saying the driver of the car is less likely to be at fault because two wheelers are reckless. At no point will I deny riders in India are reckless. I have witnessed enough of them, had close shaves with them and even been in minor accidents as well. But simply heaping blame on two wheelers is unfair, when you have an entire country of bad drivers, riders and pedestrians.

Quote:
I don't see many two wheelers driving defensively. To them, it's a rat race of pointless speeding and weaving and running red lights. The list is endless.
This is a major problem that needs to be addressed with all sorts of vehicles. I've seen bikes, autos, small cars, SUVs and buses speed unnecessarily, overtake and cut people off recklessly. I've had a friend, when we were much younger tell me that we must swerve to the right when someone comes on to the right when we pass to scare the other vehicle. While I thought this was some rare occasion of stupidity, I have later in life witnessed people actually do this. Somehow yielding is seen as a sign of weakness here. This needs to change. Yielding a little bit and being a little more accommodative doesn't cost much. Kaasa Paanama?(a phrase used in Tamizh to state that it doesn't cost money)

Quote:
If and when an accident happens inside city limits, usually the "psycopaths" walk away because of the protection their vehicle provides but the two wheeler has to bear the brunt of the damages. I really can't emphasize this enough. Your ride is replaceable but your life and limb is not. Regardless of who is right or wrong, ride safe and ride defensively instead of expecting others to follow the rules.
Absolutely no disagreement there.

Quote:
PS - Please don't be offended if I come across strongly as that's not my intent.
None taken. I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter
adwaith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 01:50   #35238
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving is a kind of dance. Even regardless of rules, while everyone keeps in step, it works extremely well. One can have a situation where nobody is, technically, doing the right thing, but each understands and takes account of the others, and all is well. Actually, for me, this has a good feeling!

When someone barges in, across and around the dance floor, the there is danger, and very often is the the out of step person that is in the most danger.

Errm... I guess I'd better go find a thread of the philosophy of driving, particularly in Indian cities!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 08:39   #35239
BHPian

Name:  Brownian_motion_large.gif
Views: 1035
Size:  454.9 KB

Driving on Indian Roads is a demonstration of Brownian Motion, Where all the particles ( vehicles ) adjust according to adjacent particles and move

This will work until a new particle ( new driver to the location ) arrives and disturbs the flow.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:37   #35240
Senior - BHPian

Woman Thrown Off Flyover In Delhi SUV Accident, Dies

Source : NDTV

Quote:
A 45-year-old woman died and her son sustained severe injuries after their car, a Scorpio, collided with the divider at Satyawati flyover on early Sunday morning, police said...

The impact of the accident was such that the woman was thrown out of the car and fell off the flyover...

her son is still being treated for injuries and is stated to be out of danger...
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:41   #35241
Senior - BHPian

Haryana Woman Arrested After Her Range Rover SUV Rams Car, Kills A Man

Quote:
A 26-year-old woman has been arrested and sent to judicial custody for two weeks, a day after she rammed a car with her Range Rover SUV, killing the man who was driving the car and injuring his wife and two children.

The family had halted for refreshments when the Range Rover hit their vehicle.

The two women are from Panipat and initial investigations suggest they were drunk, the police said. However, the driver's medical report is awaited. The two have been accused by women policemen of misbehaving and violently attacking them while they were being taken to the police station.

case was registered against the woman driver under Sections 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) and 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) of the Indian Penal Code. Section 304 is a non-bailable offence and can lead to a maximum of life imprisonment if convicted.
Name:  20220523_194025.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  65.3 KB
AutoNoob is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 23:29   #35242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
This video below makes me remember another KTM accident video a few years ago, wherein the rider died when another rider chose to break the rule.
The problem with breaking the rule is that if someone else does it at the same time, nobody will remain ‘in control’

The Content Is Graphic

https://Youtu.be/LnhnzGdR6hw
Finally found this accident video which I was talking about yesterday, while searching any u-turn accident video for another thread.

Always remember, if you break a rule, someone else may decide to break the rule also and when two people break the rule at the same time, nobody is in control. This is what happened in this accident as well.

Graphic content warning!

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 11:09   #35243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally found this accident video which I was talking about yesterday, while searching any u-turn accident video for another thread.

Always remember, if you break a rule, someone else may decide to break the rule also and when two people break the rule at the same time, nobody is in control. This is what happened in this accident as well.

Graphic content warning!
Both two-wheelers riding on the wrong side of the road. One of them on the extreme right side going the wrong way at full speed, no less! Must have thought he is invincible!

I may sound heartless here but I have no sympathy for such two-wheelers. Natural selection at its best. Unfortunately the bus driver will be booked for this.
suhaas307 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 14:38   #35244
Senior - BHPian

Nine killed, 25 injured in Karnataka after truck collides with bus - https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...des-bus-164299
Old 24th May 2022, 21:56   #35245
BHPian

Found this private video in Facebook. Took screen shots from my mobile phone.

The video is brutal as the rider is smashed into the wall, first head and body. Don't know about rider. Not sure why he did not brake. Either he was going too fast and could control the bike. Watching the video as the rider is flung into the wall gave me shivers.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-6.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-8.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-9.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11.png

And ISI marked Roof Rails

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-thar.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...33652620234192

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 24th May 2022 at 22:05.
Sarvodaya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 21:33   #35246
BHPian

Quote:

Graphic content warning!
What on earth was he trying to do? Driving the wrong way itself is a crime, that too at this speed is suicidal. If not for the collision with the bike, he would have collided with the bus for sure. Call me a sadist, I am happy that this happened to that idiot, he is not fit to live in this world simple reason, one day due to this kind of riding there are chances that he may kill an innocent.
vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 22:00   #35247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
What on earth was he trying to do? Driving the wrong way itself is a crime, that too at this speed is suicidal. If not for the collision with the bike, he would have collided with the bus for sure. Call me a sadist, I am happy that this happened to that idiot, he is not fit to live in this world simple reason, one day due to this kind of riding there are chances that he may kill an innocent.
He was trying to come to the other side, he saw the other road clear and dashed towards the divider to cross over. Unfortunately, the two riders this side also broke the rule at the same time and crossed the road from the wrong side. The dead biker thought that he has seen the road is clear and with high speed no one coming from behind can match his speed.

See such videos at 0.25x speed and you will get new insights.
The other riders, who survived, were looking behind and rammed head on into the KTM rider(fast bike). They were equally at fault or even more!

When I see such videos, I just pray to God to give milder but impactful lessons to such people. We all did mistakes and learned our lessons. In this video, the riders who survived got a milder 'lesson for life' than the rider who lost his life!

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 26th May 2022 at 22:09.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:45   #35248
Senior - BHPian

9 Killed As Cab Falls Into Deep Gorge In Kashmir

Source: NDTV

Name:  Photo.png
Views: 920
Size:  238.6 KB

Quote:
Nine people, including an Army personnel, were killed when their cab rolled into a deep gorge on the Srinagar-Leh national highway in Jammu and Kashmir's Ganderbal district, officials said on Thursday.

The cab, on its way from Kargil to Srinagar, skidded off the road late on Wednesday at Zojila and rolled down the gorge, they added.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 10:44   #35249
BHPian

Quote:

Graphic content warning!

https://Youtu.be/5IBU9f9bbNE
No words, just sympathy for the parents.
Such videos should be shown to every one getting a license to ride/drive, there should be fear in minds about driving on the wrong side. We are just too casual about it
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 16:44   #35250
Senior - BHPian

7 Soldiers Dead After Vehicle Carrying 26 Falls In Shyok River In Ladakh

Quote:
"A party of 26 soldiers was moving from the Transit Camp in Partapur to a forward location in Sub Sector Hanif. At approximately 9 am, around 25 km from Thoise, the vehicle skidded off the road and fell in Shyok river (to a depth of approximately 50-60ft), resulting in injuries to all occupants," an army spokesperson said.

"Seven individuals have been declared fatal so far. There are grievous injuries to others as well.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks