Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2022, 23:24   #35296
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_ninja View Post
So according to you, the bikers were justified in blocking the road but the car driver does not have a justifiable reason to be driving fast?
But there are always consequences!
No one has any justifiable reason to ram into another person or vehicle, and then run away. All of us understand that road rules in India are not followed by default. But that does not mean we stop driving, or drive carelessly, with utter disregard to another person's life. Take a look at the following video from this evening. Continue watching from 0;37 seconds onwards. I suppose a faster / careless / less alert driver would justify ramming into the bike riders by saying they deserved it because they broke the rules of the road, were riding rashly, and not wearing helmets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
In summary, both have to share the blame for this accident...
"Who is at fault" has no meaning if you are a two wheeler rider.
Absolutely true. Which is why, as drivers committed to road safety, our responsibility increases manyfold in watching out for these mad riders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
...what we have to train, drive and succeed at. There is no excuse for hitting something in front of you. Let's accept the responsibility and not hypothesize on what happened after.
Thank you for saying this. I couldn't agree more.
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 23:39   #35297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
No Words. Was lucky the rider did not crash against the transformer

Attachment 2316255
Of all the possible ways this could have had happened that I imagined, I'm very very surprised how actually it happened Lucky escape for rider, could have been life threatening ! Also why this obsession to ride fast on public roads, with absolutely no safety gear, not even shoes !
Akshay6988 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 07:25   #35298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
No one has any justifiable reason to ram into another person or vehicle,
Thank You for sharing. Very helpful.

I find this video very apt in this current discussion on who's fault it is.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxIqg1cAw...PTDScXcgoCWiuc

The above clip conveys the message that, never think of Right of Way instead think of "Who Should give Way".

Watch the full video too, it has some good examples.

Road signs and rules are there for a reason and there will be people who break them, but as a defensive driver we should watch out for such people and avoid accidents.

The entire playlist on Defensive Driving is worth a Watch.

On The Road - YouTube

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 5th June 2022 at 07:28.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 16:26   #35299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
The above clip conveys the message that, never think of Right of Way instead think of "Who Should give Way".
That is the marine viewpoint. The "collision regulations" never mention who has right of way, only who is required to give way. They also cover all by stating that, ultimately, the skippers of both vessels are responsible for avoiding collisions.

Road traffic law says what it says. But we can take a lesson in attitude from the marine law.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 09:42   #35300
BHPian

Quote:

More and more of the road users, from pedestrians to heavy vehicle operators know the answer to "who should give way" very clearly... It is not me and is the other person who should give way. That is the state of affairs and it is very sad.
arulpeem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 14:58   #35301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...The "collision regulations" never mention who has right of way, only who is required to give way. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
More and more of the road users, from pedestrians to heavy vehicle operators know the answer to "who should give way" very clearly... It is not me and is the other person who should give way.
Unlike the UK where there is a Highway code book with the concept of "Right of way" defined absolutely crystal clear, we don't have any well defined rule book in our country.

People can't be blamed, they are simply not aware of the concept of the right of way because its not defined clearly let alone implementation. Road users are just doing the usual norm of "adjust a bit and let me pass", be it intersections or roundabouts.

Clear definition of right of way by RTOs, bringing awareness of the same while issuing licences or all road users(if possible) and enforcement is the key.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 21:34   #35302
BHPian

Case from Delhi/Gurgaon border - Scorpio driver apparently hits a biker after some verbal altercation

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/watc...s-away-3041521

Scares me as a rider!
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 22:27   #35303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Case from Delhi/Gurgaon border - Scorpio driver apparently hits a biker after some verbal altercation

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/watc...s-away-3041521

Scares me as a rider!
Have seen this story today on various news portals. Have to hear the driver's side of the story to make an opinion. It was foolhardy to smash someone who is not alone and accompanied by many other riders with capable machines. Must have been a Zidane moment I think.
The camera guy already knew something is going to happen? That is Godly instincts!
Please note: I donot support violent aggression on the road or on a football field.
Old 6th June 2022, 22:37   #35304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
As per below news article, the Scorpio driver has been arrested and vehicle seized.

https://theprint.in/india/llb-studen...ource=inshorts
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 23:49   #35305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
No Words. Was lucky the rider did not crash against the transformer

Attachment 2316255
According to Kerala MVD, this was part of a five vehicle involved street racing. Police has seized two more bikes based on the footage and related evidence.

Rider is identified and case has been registered against him by both Electricity board and the MVD. Source

The person is extremely lucky to have skidded off from the bike soon after it hit the road, else would have been an altogether different story.
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 11:34   #35306
Distinguished - BHPian

A private bus hit a Maruti Omni near Dindigul yesterday. The van went on into a roadside shop. 2 occupants of the car and 3 people who were in the shop have been hospitalized.

This sort of private bus operates in rural and mofussil areas in TN and their very business model hinges on speed. Therefore I'm not surprised to see the bus being driven at speed despite the presence of a Xylo which was seen poking its bonnet almost into the bus' lane, just before the accident occurred. There's no element of defensive driving here at all.

Note: I just realized that this YouTube clip doesn't show the lead-up to the accident. I saw a longer version of the video on Facebook and that's what I was referring to (Xylo etc.). And I don't have the link to it. Sorry!

Last edited by locusjag : 7th June 2022 at 11:42. Reason: Added a note
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 12:05   #35307
BHPian

Bus didn't slowdown at T junction and Van driver didn't check mirrors and follow basic MSM routine before turning.

Bus trying to overtake near an intersection. So many basic road rules are ignored.

When two drivers who can potentially come in each other's path make a mistake, collision is inevitable.

Fortunately, there are no deaths I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
And I don't have the link to it. Sorry!
Here's the longer version.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 7th June 2022 at 16:58. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
chaitanyakrish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 16:40   #35308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the longer version.
The bus driver was playing NFS and never bothered to brake even once! This is one example where the dashcam can prove its driver was at fault. Fault being he should not change lanes when the vehicle ahead is changing lanes.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 7th June 2022 at 16:57. Reason: Removing video from quote.
svsantosh is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 17:45   #35309
BHPian

Quote:
Bus didn't slowdown at T junction and Van driver didn't check mirrors and follow basic MSM routine before turning.

Bus trying to overtake near an intersection. So many basic road rules are ignored.

When two drivers who can potentially come in each other's path make a mistake, collision is inevitable.
Excellent markings on the road, but very poor adherence by all drivers. If one go by the marking, there is no intersection or the right turn is not allowed (solid line?).

The Omni driver was undecided of the turn, he almost parked on the left shoulder and then decided to turn right. By then the bus driver had decided to overtake. But then he missed the chance to brake.
bejoy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 16:43   #35310
BHPian

A man has died when a tyre broke off from a truck has hit him while he was standing on the road. It is near Chennai.

Freak and horrible. I don't know how it broke off but is it so easy that tyres can come off without any impact to them? I have seen tyres flying only in F1 racing.

May his soul rest in peace.
thanixravindran is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed