Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2022, 12:57   #35326
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ The wheel hit the rear step of the cart, bounced and went right into the cart. A male passenger died immediately. A female passenger and the cart driver were injured seriously. I had never seen anything like it before, and was terrified of all passing lorries for quite a few years afterwards.
On smaller scale a wheel cap of a Datsun Go I was following detached and came towards my car and I veered to the left, luckily the wheel cap decided to change direction and went right, had I hit the wheel cap it would have bounced and damaged my wind shield this happened on GST road on Tuesday.
Old 9th June 2022, 13:08   #35327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
The reason for the vehicle defect could also be determined and prevented from occurring in the future.

I believe that all crashes and crash injuries are preventable.
Earlier I used to try to convey to the driver that there is problem in the vehicle, either open tank, open door, tyre problem etc. 90% of the times I was told that they know it (except for open door) and its not an issue. Truckers are different and they acknowledge issues but not small vehicles. Autos and e-rickshaw are the worst. If you try to convey something, they try to race, get agressive or ignore. After all these experiences, I convey problems only to truckers and sometimes cars but never autos or other 3-wheelers.

Do you convey impending blow-out of tyres? Saw this STC bus few days back. I think tyre conditions is visible to the driver and the helper as they approach the vehicle. Still they choose to ignore it and I think talking to them about this issue and that too on a highway is useless.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220428_205252.jpg  

Last edited by NG_EV : 9th June 2022 at 13:15.
NG_EV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 14:17   #35328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
If you try to convey something, they try to race, get agressive or ignore.
True. Many people do not listen nor try to understand what is being conveyed. They assume that their driving might be being questioned.
Old 9th June 2022, 14:25   #35329
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder... How can a detached wheel move faster than it's parent vehicle? Does that really happen, or does it just look like it because of the slowing of the lost-wheel vehicle?

Have people seen such an event when the parent vehicle has enough wheels to continue at the same speed?
Old 9th June 2022, 14:33   #35330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthewheel View Post
The Duster did not have any right either to carry such high speeds at an intersection. Unfortunate.
I honestly don’t blame the Duster at all in this situation. If we have to slow down (more than the speed limit) for every uncontrolled intersections and gaps in our ‘highways’, we will have to crawl every half KM.

Duster has the right of way, it doesn’t have any Give Way/Stop signs or any other traffic control device for them to give way to the biker, the biker crossed multiple lanes at the same time etc.. If the Duster was going above the speed limit, at best they will get a speeding ticket legally. Defensive driving is a different argument and let’s be honest - no one is driving 100% defensive all the time on the road, even the best among us in this forum.

Right of way is like the rule #1 of a shared road. Speeding and other infractions comes next. Right of way in many cases presides over everything else.

Blame the designers of these roads and highways, blame the municipal body for not having proper signals, signs and turn lanes, blame the riders and drivers who don’t know what proper right of way is and just barge in from a side road into a multi-lane highway etc. blaming the vehicle going on a straight line minding their business is the easy way out.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 9th June 2022 at 14:34.
Yieldway17 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 15:57   #35331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder... How can a detached wheel move faster than it's parent vehicle? Does that really happen, or does it just look like it?

Have people seen such an event when the parent vehicle has enough wheels to continue at the same speed?
Perhaps because it is not being held back by a heavy parent vehicle? I had seen a pick-up truck with a dually where the tire came off and went faster than me and the parent vehicle. I was going 70mph. Every bounce, seemed like it was picking up speed. Of course I slowed down immediately, and the pick-up truck did slow down as well.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 16:09   #35332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder... How can a detached wheel move faster than it's parent vehicle? Does that really happen, or does it just look like it because of the slowing of the lost-wheel vehicle?

During my college days I was walking towards my college on a road with hardly any traffic. Suddenly a tyre went past me at a good speed. I heard some screeching sound and saw an Ambassador car with one of its wheel missing coming down the road with a lot of sparks generated by the scrapping metal parts. So the lost wheel had slowed down the car considerably.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 16:31   #35333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Right of way in many cases presides over everything else.
Didn't think the Duster's right of way presides over the biker's right of life.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th June 2022 at 15:01. Reason: Reverting
binand is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 16:55   #35334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
...made news into a tv serial.
If you have spare grey cells you wouldn't mind losing, check out local 'news' channels that go the whole hog with TV soap production values. Over-excited host, terrible graphics, cheesy/horror music to match the content, and several slow-slower-crawling speed replays and angles, just to keep their audience hooked.

There used to be a crime news reporting show where the host had the catchphrase 'chain se sona chahte ho to jaag jao' (wake up if you want to sleep peacefully), delivered with an exaggerated vim. Most reporters, esp. on local channels, are essentially a version of that guy now.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 18:07   #35335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
A med student rams his car into wall near AIR, Raj bhavan Road, Bangalore.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/92091558.cms

The guy was upset over personal issues and was driving under alcohol.

Luckily, no other civilian was injured.
Checklist:
Drunk - Yes
Mentally upset - Yes
Graveyard Shift - Yes
Fast Car - Yes
What can possibly go wrong?
Arun yadav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 18:09   #35336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I honestly don’t blame the Duster at all in this situation. If we have to slow down (more than the speed limit) for every uncontrolled intersections and gaps in our ‘highways’, we will have to crawl every half KM.
I completely disagree. You are wrong. Well, maybe not legally absolutely wrong, but:-

Let me repeat my experience on a British rural main road, speed limit 60MPH. I saw a new speed limit sign, 50MPH, and reduced to that. Around the corner, I crashed into a car that had stalled in the middle of a crossroads.

Legally, police were involved and I was absolved of any responsibility, whilst the other guy was cautioned for something like "driving without due care and attention"

Legally, that supports your point of view. In practice, there I was stuck with an undrivable car, miles from anywhere useful, having to call my elderly mother to drive twenty miles to rescue me! There were, thank goodness, no injuries. I did about GBP2k damage to the car I was driving, and I would imagine the car I hit was a write-off. I still felt bad about the poor old guy driving it

I had right of way. The old guy had no business to be juddering across the road, probably in the wrong gear, and stalling. None the less, learnt a lesson I have never forgotten: The Speed Limit Is Not Necessarily The Safe Speed to Drive at.

Quote:
Right of way is like the rule #1 of a shared road.
No, it isn't. Sure, it is if it comes to prosecutions or who-has-to-pay arguments, but for every other reason or purpose it isn't. Safety is. Getting yourself and your car to the destination in one piece is. That's what you need to do, isn't it?

So what if you need to slow down every km. Do slow down, whenever approaching any hazard. For other people's sake, but just as much for yours.
Quote:
Blame the designers of these roads and highways, blame the municipal body for not having proper signals, signs and turn lanes,
They play a part, but we can all see the roads we are driving on, we know how things are, and it is our responsibility to drive accordingly.
Quote:
blame the riders and drivers who don’t know what proper right of way is and just barge in from a side road into a multi-lane highway etc.
Sure. In this case, the casual biker is to blame. It cost him his life. And the car driver has to live with that, as well as whatever amount of legal hassle happens, for ever more.

We need to try very, very hard never to be that man.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th June 2022 at 18:19.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 18:17   #35337
BHPian

Quote:

Newtons law of motion should not allow that to happen. Could seem to happen / really happen due to the parent vehicle slowing just after separation and the free wheelie gaining momentum on a slope and / or hitting other stuff
Arun yadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 18:27   #35338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
Newtons law of motion should not allow that to happen...
I wonder if this could explain it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
... Every bounce, seemed like it was picking up speed.
The only got-free wheel I ever saw certainly overtook us, so it was moving faster than the general speed of the traffic, but no idea about its parent vehicle. I was a small child, maybe around 10. All I recall is the mental picture of the wheel going along the road on its own.
Old 9th June 2022, 19:14   #35339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
Newtons law of motion should not allow that to happen. Could seem to happen / really happen due to the parent vehicle slowing just after separation and the free wheelie gaining momentum on a slope and / or hitting other stuff
Not exactly.. Newton second law explains it explicitly.

The wheel attached to car was carrying a load. The wheel detached from car was not carrying any load. Hence, detached wheels are faster than the Parent vehicle.
However, if it is just the wheel cover, it will be slower or max, at the same speed of the car.. As it did not carry any load in the first place.

A refresher of the Newtons second law of motion: F/M = A. Lesser the mass, more the acceleration for the given force.

This is the precise reason why detached wheels jump out of the vehicle and start bouncing, as the sudden disappearance of load makes the Tyre Free and Crazy
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 19:16   #35340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Couple of potential things ...
Reduced friction - detached wheel no longer have an immense weight acting on it (The vehicle weight). This in turn reduces the massive friction between the squeezed wheel surface and the road.

Increase in velocity due to increase in the overall radius of the wheel (As the vehicle weight was compressing the wheel when attached to the vehicle)
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks