Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2022, 13:41   #35356
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
In an attempt to save an injured bird, 2 men lose their lives as a taxi hits them on Bandra-Worli Sealink.
Another tragic and unnecessary loss of lives.

I’m surprised they were so oblivious to the high speed traffic zipping past them and they were behaving like they were in their own living room and straddling between the lanes with their backs to their traffic.

I couldn’t see from the video what was they trying to protect, a bird hurt on the road? Good intentions if so but totally unnecessary or there are several proper ways to go about doing what they were trying to do.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 17:09   #35357
BHPian

When drivers from the plains goto hills and forget the lane rule and are unaware about 'do not overtake on turns' rule.

Try to spot the third motorcycle with 0.25x speed.!

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 11th June 2022 at 17:10.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 20:41   #35358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
This is tragically sad !

In an attempt to save an injured bird, 2 men lose their lives as a taxi hits them on Bandra-Worli Sealink.

Though it is not the brightest of the ideas to stop on such busy roads...
This is so heartbreaking. Sheer foolhardiness and misplaced sympathy for an injured bird, claimed two human lives. To quote myself from another thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
When I was undergoing low risk driver training, I braked for a plump little kookaburra on a narrow highway doing 60 kmph - and got reprimanded. You don't brake for a 'burra, I was sternly told. The risk of someone rear-ending you, is higher than any damage by that little thing. From then on, I don't brake for crows or chickens or snakes on the road.
SS-Traveller is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 22:37   #35359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
When drivers from the plains goto hills and forget the lane rule and are unaware about 'do not overtake on turns' rule.

Try to spot the third motorcycle with 0.25x speed.!
What else to expect when you don’t follow the basics of driving.
Old 12th June 2022, 14:08   #35360
Hbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Reading or listening to this line infuriates me. I am from NCR but I lived in the mountains of himalayas for almost 5 years. While I understand people's experiences can be different but from what I've seen, locals can be equally as idiotic on the roads if not more. They think 'we know how to drive here' and get overconfident. Of course this is not true for the majority who drive well. The point is that idiots will drive like such no matter where they are from or where they are driving.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th June 2022 at 16:23. Reason: Quote tags
Hbh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 19:18   #35361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbh View Post
Reading or listening to this line infuriates me. I am from NCR but I lived in the mountains of himalayas for almost 5 years. While I understand people's experiences can be different but from what I've seen, locals can be equally as idiotic on the roads if not more. They think 'we know how to drive here' and get overconfident. Of course this is not true for the majority who drive well. The point is that idiots will drive like such no matter where they are from or where they are driving.
I am a driver from the plains and my quote was applicable to me, when I drove on hills for the first time some 14 years ago (I am also from Delhi, but living in hyderabad since 12 years, was going to Lansdowne in our new Santro then). I did not realise that we should always be in our lane on turns, and suddenly a bolero crossed my car at 50 km/h. The distance between me and the car was not more than a hair. I was driving slightly towards the middle on the ghat road.
I know he was driving too fast on a turn. He may have done it hundred times being local, but the fault lied more with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This is so heartbreaking. Sheer foolhardiness and misplaced sympathy for an injured bird, claimed two human lives. To quote myself from another thread...
It not only claimed the lives but also shattered the dreams of the family members of the taxi driver, who may never get to drive again.
He may have checked on his mobile or adjusted the stereo volume for a second, thinking that 'what can come in front of me on such fast moving road'. He was unlucky and lucky at the same time. Lucky, as there was no stranded car in front and no-one hard braked, otherwise, his lack of attention could have taken his and his passengers life too.
My brother told me once, do not take a human life to save a dog on the road. Your example is so relatable and it is heartening to know that people are actually taught this in driving schools.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 12th June 2022 at 19:38.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 21:44   #35362
BHPian

I saw an MG Hector (or Hector Plus) which seems to have lost control and hit the divider and then the pole. The impact happened approximately 10 minutes before I reached there. This was on Countryside avenue (towards Gold course road) in Gurgaon. The road has a lot of descent and big speed breakers which could be the cause for this accident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4790.jpg

The police and other authorities were already present there and I stopped and asked the person who was driving the car at the time of impact - he was fine and happy to be okay and was the only one in his car. Lastly, as I saw - both airbags opened.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4794.jpg

Note how the car's tail is on the other side of road, which could be because of the speed and immediately hitting the pole.
adigup is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 21:47   #35363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Looks like A-pillar is the culprit here. There is no way the driver could have seen the Physically challenged senior crossing the road. Picture of Crysta from T-BHP review. RIP.
A pillar or blinding headlights can never be the excuse. Ultimately the responsibility of "driving at such a speed that one can stop within the visible portion of the road on one's side" rests with the driver. This is as per The Highway Code in the UK.

This implies if there's zero visibility the driver is expected to come to a complete stop if needed.
StopUnderrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 23:11   #35364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Ahmedabad river front.

Attachment 2318734
Can experts please elaborate on the safety risk panoramic sunroofs pose when a vehicle turns turtle? Or are they as safe or unsafe as an unripped sheet of steel?

I assume no safety tests assess cars for such scenarios.

Last edited by dust-n-bones : 12th June 2022 at 23:13.
Old 12th June 2022, 23:22   #35365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Can experts please elaborate on the safety risk panoramic sunroofs pose when a vehicle turns turtle? Or are they as safe or unsafe as an unripped sheet of steel?

These are as safe, if not safer than the sheet metal that it replaces - only if the passengers are belted in. If the roof is open and passengers are unbelted, passengers run the risk of being thrown out.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 01:49   #35366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post

Both panaromic and standard sunroof are considered safe only if laminated. Many earlier cars had tempered sunroof that would shatter randomly in a moving car, especially on highways. The tempered glass would break into pieces and hurt occupants. I think some low end cars may still use tempered sunroof.

Sunroofs do pose a minor risk in that they lower the headroom by a few cm. Rear seat belts don't have pretensioners so there will be a slight relaxation/stretching of the belt during rollovers. Such a scenario might pose a risk in cars with lesser headroom and if the occupant is tall enough.

Apart from the above points, sunroofs are just like standard roofs in terms of safety. Of course, this is assuming that the occupants are belted. If not, the sunroof is more dangerous as it provides another ejection medium for the occupant.
Rohan265 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 03:21   #35367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
I saw an MG Hector ... - he was fine and happy to be okay and was the only one in his car. Lastly, as I saw - both airbags opened.
Aren't passenger airbags prevented from deploying if there is no passenger?
Old 13th June 2022, 10:59   #35368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
A pillar or blinding headlights can never be the excuse. Ultimately the responsibility of "driving at such a speed that one can stop within the visible portion of the road on one's side" rests with the driver. This is as per The Highway Code in the UK.

This implies if there's zero visibility the driver is expected to come to a complete stop if needed.

There are exceptions for most of these rule. Then we should be stopping at ever corner before we turn the vehicle as most often there are "blind spots". There is reason they are called blind spots.
Old 13th June 2022, 11:22   #35369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
There are exceptions for most of these rule. Then we should be stopping at ever corner before we turn the vehicle as most often there are "blind spots". There is reason they are called blind spots.
If your vehicle/road are such that you need to stop at every blind spot then please do so. Or else change the vehicle or take alternate routes

The way you won't drive a vehicle blind-folded, why would you drive it when you can't see ahead?
StopUnderrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 14:35   #35370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
These are as safe, if not safer than the sheet metal that it replaces - only if the passengers are belted in. If the roof is open and passengers are unbelted, passengers run the risk of being thrown out.
This is a great point. Many car riders I know never buckle in when they are in the rear seats.

I wonder why there is no effort at consumer awareness by ARAI, SIAM or even individual manufacturers for using these features responsibly.

Most Viewed