Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 15:10   #35371
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
... Rear seat belts don't have pretensioners ...
My front seats do not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Aren't passenger airbags prevented from deploying if there is no passenger?
I don't know, but I do not think there is any mechanism in my car for telling if seats are occupied or not. (Polo GT TDI, 2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
There are exceptions for most of these rule. Then we should be stopping at ever corner before we turn the vehicle as most often there are "blind spots". There is reason they are called blind spots.
One should be prepared to stop. One should also be prepared for the oncoming vehicles to be driving with even less care than we are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
If your vehicle/road are such that you need to stop at every blind spot then please do so. Or else change the vehicle or take alternate routes

The way you won't drive a vehicle blind-folded, why would you drive it when you can't see ahead?
Because... Having no respect for safety of self or others. Taking blind corners, even on the wrong side of the road, is standard procedure for some road users. I regular wonder if they want to go on living!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th June 2022 at 15:14.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 16:29   #35372
Senior - BHPian

Accident near Bangalore satellite bus stand. Auto driver passed away.
Canter was too fast and it rear-ended a Mahindra goods truck. The goods truck pushed the auto and hit BMTV Volvo. Auto got sandwiched.

Name:  xserialaccident1655107337.jpg.pagespeed.ic.NHPFhW7wwr1.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  36.4 KB
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 17:03   #35373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't know, but I do not think there is any mechanism in my car for telling if seats are occupied or not. (Polo GT TDI, 2014)
My 2011 Nissan Rogue (now sold, had it in the US till 2017) had weight sensors I believe, on the front passenger seat. So if I were to place a gallon of milk and some other light weight, the dashboard would inform me pointedly that the front passenger airbag is still off.

When my nephew would playfully sit there when the car was stationary, and he was really light-weight, it would do the same.

So that car had a weight cut-off, beyond which the airbag would get primed.

Otherwise, I believe most cars activate the airbag only if the seat belt is clipped on.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 17:27   #35374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Accident near Bangalore satellite bus stand. Auto driver passed away.
No clue who was going in which direction.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-edfc5e025a8b4598aa907b90583e0f47.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-d3e3637c16d44018ae74dd31e68ce32a.jpeg

So sad for the auto driver. RIP
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 18:03   #35375
BHPian

Is it an Accident? Was it a show of strength by the Canter and the BMTC Volvo. Sandwiching an Auto like a cheese spread , how did they manage such a speed with in the city limits?
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 18:46   #35376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Is it an Accident? Was it a show of strength by the Canter and the BMTC Volvo. Sandwiching an Auto like a cheese spread , how did they manage such a speed with in the city limits?
Looks it’s just vehicles going in the same direction in moderate speeds which were hit in their edges and physics did the rest.

Tragic for the auto rickshaw driver.

If anything, yet another evidence to ban auto rickshaws from our streets. Any other decently solid vehicle would have not flattened like paper with chance of survivability.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 18:53   #35377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Looks it’s just vehicles going in the same direction in moderate speeds which were hit in their edges and physics did the rest.

Tragic for the auto rickshaw driver.

If anything, yet another evidence to ban auto rickshaws from our streets. Any other decently solid vehicle would have not flattened like paper with chance of survivability.
Don't know about other cities, but autorickshaw were the most safe vehicles for many consecutive years, may be this year also, on Delhi roads as per transport department. It is not the structure, but the speed. Replace this autorickshaw with a bicycle, will it survive?
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 19:02   #35378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Don't know about other cities, but autorickshaw were the most safe vehicles for many consecutive years, may be this year also, on Delhi roads as per transport department. It is not the structure, but the speed. Replace this autorickshaw with a bicycle, will it survive?
I’m surprised by the stat but can’t comment without seeing actual data. Not sure if the sheer number of auto rickshaws and their relatively slower speeds in general inside cities skews the data. Occam’s Razor says no way auto rickshaws are safer than cars and it could be marginally safer than the two wheelers.

Also bicycle and auto rickshaws are not fair comparisons. For hire vehicles should have a better standard than personal vehicles in my opinion. And bicycle or two wheeler have maneuverability or riders know their limitations. Auto rickshaws are like just scaffolding on wheels in my view and act like cars sometimes in their driving.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 19:16   #35379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I’m surprised by the stat but can’t comment without seeing actual data. Not sure if the sheer number of auto rickshaws and their relatively slower speeds in general inside cities skews the data. Occam’s Razor says no way auto rickshaws are safer than cars and it could be marginally safer than the two wheelers.

Also bicycle and auto rickshaws are not fair comparisons. For hire vehicles should have a better standard than personal vehicles in my opinion. And bicycle or two wheeler have maneuverability or riders know their limitations. Auto rickshaws are like just scaffolding on wheels in my view and act like cars sometimes in their driving.
I was just replying you your call for 'banning' auto rickshaws based on structural integrity. Public or personal was not your point.
Here is the data you may be interested in:
https://thecityfix.com/blog/a-safety...aws-in-mumbai/
Attached Images

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 20:22   #35380
BHPian

Difficult to watch, toddler ran over by reversing car near Namakkal. viewers discretion advised. Not sure whether driver could have avoided the accident or its one of instances where you were in wrong place at wrong time.
All new cars comes with reverse parking sensor but old cars with no reverse sensor and camera are susceptible to similar accidents.

Boy survived the accident with several serious injuries , hope he recover soon.
rainmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 20:49   #35381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Here is the data you may be interested in:
https://thecityfix.com/blog/a-safety...aws-in-mumbai/
Autos are more riskier than Taxi as per the above chart.

These type of reports are very tricky to interpret, unless we know the data behind it and see, if the authors had any bias before generating reports.

Authors can pick evidences that suit their narration.

For Example, on normal streets of Jayanagar, the risk of accident is negligible for an Auto but the risk increases, if the auto rides on any flyover or NICE Road in Bangalore.

The above analysis by authors should be further broken down by type of road like flyover,inner lanes etc, to provide better assessment.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 13th June 2022 at 20:52.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 20:53   #35382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaster View Post
...Not sure whether driver could have avoided the accident or its one of instances where you were in wrong place at wrong time...
How does one reverse onto the same bit of clear road they just drove in on, feel the bump of first hitting then going over an obstacle that wasn't there seconds earlier, and not pause to think something's off and get down to check it out?

The first time might have been accidental with the child out of view, the second time is laziness/negligence. If the driver had stopped and checked when the child hit the bumper and fell, or even after the first go-over, the child could've possibly been far less grievously hurt than it is now.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 10:41   #35383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
No clue who was going in which direction.
A report in the Times Of India provides details.

Quote:
Excerpts:

According to police, all the vehicles were heading from Hosaguddadahalli junction to Bapujinagar junction. "First, the canter truck rear-ended the goods truck which suddenly veered to the left and rammed the auto. The auto with no passengers in it was stuck between a Vayu Vajra bus moving next to it and the truck. While the canter truck driver fled the spot, drivers of the BMTC bus and goods truck did their best to pull out the auto driver," a police officer said.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 11:49   #35384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaster View Post
Not sure whether driver could have avoided the accident or its one of instances where you were in wrong place at wrong time.
Having personally hit a water pump/hydrant that was no higher than my bumper while reversing my car on a narrow village street in the middle of the night once, I can understand that these things do occur. That said, the child should have been visible in the left ORVM when he came running out of the road and going forward over the child once again was a bit too much.
Old 14th June 2022, 13:25   #35385
BHPian

Dashcam recording can help quickly settle issues. It's highly recommended. The scooter rider got lucky he wasn't thrown off the bridge. However, While there is no doubt about the KIA driver's mistake. Part of me feels the scooter should have braked behind the KIA rather than try to overtake from the left. KIA's have fantastic senors but in a older vehicle that would be in the blind spot.

Just to note the KIA guy was driving extremely rashly and overtook me at around 45+ on this narrow flyover too

harshaguduru is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed