Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2022, 13:37   #35386
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
No clue who was going in which direction.
CCTV Footage
msdivy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 13:47   #35387
Senior - BHPian

It's basically the bigger brown truck that mowed the smaller truck in front and the auto. The brown truck driver must have been either drunk or distracted leading to the gruesome accident. The entry/exit to these busy bus terminuses are always busy with hardly any leeway except to wait patiently for ones turn to move.

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th June 2022 at 00:35. Reason: Removed quoted video.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 14:14   #35388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshaguduru View Post
While there is no doubt about the KIA driver's mistake. Part of me feels the scooter should have braked behind the KIA rather than try to overtake from the left. KIA's have fantastic senors but in a older vehicle that would be in the blind spot.
This is what happens when both drivers doesn't care about people around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The brown truck driver must have been either drunk or distracted leading to the gruesome accident. The entry/exit to these busy bus terminuses are always busy with hardly any leeway except to wait patiently for ones turn to move.
It is a very busy road, distracted or not, there's no way a sensible driver going that fast. He was either drunk (part explains the running away), or reckless. Probably both.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 14:55   #35389
BHPian

Quote:
Dashcam recording can help quickly settle issues. It's highly recommended. The scooter rider got lucky he wasn't thrown off the bridge. However, While there is no doubt about the KIA driver's mistake. Part of me feels the scooter should have braked behind the KIA rather than try to overtake from the left. KIA's have fantastic senors but in a older vehicle that would be in the blind spot.

Just to note the KIA guy was driving extremely rashly and overtook me at around 45+ on this narrow flyover too
If you notice, the KIA driver has a phone in his hand and he probably was on a call too. How stupid of people to not use Bluetooth!
ronford is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 15:16   #35390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronford View Post
If you notice, the KIA driver has a phone in his hand and he probably was on a call too. How stupid of people to not use Bluetooth!
+1

No excuse for folks using their phone while driving new age cars with a whole host of features like Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

Also, I am seeing an increasing number of folks texting while driving. If anything can possibly be worse than talking on phone, it is this. Absolutely hate when I see folks doing this. It is a recipe for disaster.

Android Auto and CarPlay even allows to leave a message using voice assistants. I use that for dropping a message to my family when on long trips for sending quick updates.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 14th June 2022 at 15:22.
krishnakumar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 18:02   #35391
BHPian

Quote:
It's basically the bigger brown truck that mowed the smaller truck in front and the auto.
The smaller truck had clearly slowed down on seeing the bus coming out. The large truck was tailgating it. If it was a car instead of a small truck it’d have gotten crushed between two HCVs.

Looks like a hopeless situation The only solution seems to be to drive generally slow so that the tailgater gets frustrated and either overtakes you or keeps a distance.
StopUnderrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 18:23   #35392
BHPian

Quote:
Part of me feels the scooter should have braked behind the KIA rather than try to overtake from the left.
I agree with the same.
The scooters around the Kia looks like a swarm of flies and each one is trying to get ahead through any gap which is available. Tailgating closely and changing lanes so often is a definite recipe for disaster because you are going to land up in the blind zones of the car driver and that is what happened. This could have happened irrespective of the fact that the Kia driver was using a mobile phone (not defending him in any way).
adi.mariner is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 18:32   #35393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The bus driver was playing NFS and never bothered to brake even once! This is one example where the dashcam can prove its driver was at fault. Fault being he should not change lanes when the vehicle ahead is changing lanes.
So many things typical of our chalta hai attitude on the roads.
1. The Maruti Omni driver turning without putting any turn indicator's to signal his intention. This is becoming atrociously commonplace now on all roads. People just assume that the guy behind them will know telepathically when the Driver in front is going to turn .

2. Private bus overtaking on a curve with a solid white line that cries "Please don't do this". I wonder all it takes for a heavy vehicle driver in our land is to put in all the "right papers" and voila he can get licence even for his pets retarded or otherwise!

3. Missing that critically endangered species aka "The defensive driver" who might have avoided this mishap by the 3 second gap rule, taking the foot off the accelerator at intersections and being ready to slow down, following the traffic signs in theory and being aware of on the ground reality(Like that Xylo crossover), watching the front tyres of Morons ahead especially when overtaking etc

Last edited by venbas : 14th June 2022 at 18:58. Reason: Quote correction
Old 14th June 2022, 18:52   #35394
BHPian

Quote:
This is a very informative video especially for people who use this narrow Begumpet road.

Please share the video on Cyberabad traffic police official social media handle. They use whatsapp number +91 94412 46046.

You may save a life by doing so.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 19:23   #35395
BHPian

Quote:
.... . The brown truck driver must have been either drunk or distracted leading to the gruesome accident. The entry/exit to these busy bus terminuses are always busy with hardly any leeway except to wait patiently for ones turn to move.
At the cost of repeating the done to death comments on Bangalore infra, the roads are just too narrow and number of vehicles too big. Not much thought is given to town planning, creating choc a block situations all over the city and gifting us wonders like KR puram junction. Rant over.
Old 15th June 2022, 11:04   #35396
BHPian

Well, not a good morning here in Delhi.

A construction contractors pickup truck managed to hit/scrape 4 cars and a corner wall of the building opposite my residence.

Last year October something similar happened in my building that smashed the roof & windshield of a old civic and left minor dents and scratches on cars surrounding it after construction materials fell from the 6th floor roof, luckily our both cars were parked in covered part of the building, even my split AC unit was damaged
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220615wa0003.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220615wa0004.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220615wa0006.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220615wa0005.jpg  

Last edited by RohaNN_kWh : 15th June 2022 at 11:05.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 16:48   #35397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
Well, not a good morning here in Delhi.
A construction contractors pickup truck managed to hit/scrape 4 cars and a corner wall of the building opposite my residence.
Last year October something similar happened in my building that smashed the roof & windshield of a old civic and left minor dents and scratches on cars surrounding it after construction materials fell from the 6th floor roof, luckily our both cars were parked in covered part of the building, even my split AC unit was damaged
Woah those images demand a better explanation. Who was at the wheel and how fast were they driving? I guess twice in under a year requires fitting some cameras around the place if it hasn't already been done.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 22:30   #35398
Distinguished - BHPian

In one day's commute I witnessed three accidents. In the morning, there was an ambulance which I gave way and while it crossed a few vehicles ahead, the driver tried to dodge a small gap between a Swift and another vehicle. The Swift driver didn't bother to slow down or give way and that led to him having a damaged fender and a bumper. Looks like the driver didn't realise the extent of the damage but it was bad.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-95cf4be85d67479aaaa324ed55985811.jpeg

On the way back home, on the HSR layout section of the ORR, a biker and a bus had a crash and that led to a jam but looked like he was majorly ok. Just after I passed this scene and as traffic opened up, a bike on the service road was cut rashly by a Jeep Meridian test drive car which appeared from the opposite side and cut across the biker. This fall was bad and even though the biker tried to brake, this was a horrible cut. I didn't witness the accident since it was far to the side of my view but my dashcam managed to capture this even though I had to crop the frame by a good bit to focus on the crash.

audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 22:32   #35399
BHPian

Hey guys,

Sharing pictures of an accident that happened on May 23, 2015. This accident involved my family of 5 (including me) and my uncle and aunt. Yes, we were 7 people sitting inside our brand new Toyota Fortuner which was delivered on May 4th, 2015 and had 215 kms on the odometer.

The car costed close to 30 lakhs on road delhi. It was a pearl white, 4 wheel drive automatic variant which had been launched in January 2015. The car was fitted with accessories worth 40,000-50,000 rupees (Lexus-styled tail lamps costed a whopping 23,500 rupees at that time).

It was one of the first 4WD Automatic Fortuners in Pearl White to be delivered after a long wait, but life had it own plans.

We were on a road trip, and driving on a state highway. My dad was driving, and then we saw a board which said 'by pass' which led to a road which was poorly constructed and had no boundaries or railings separating the village and farms from the road. The road was and is still constructed approximately 7 to 9 feet above the level of the fields around. It was near Kalanaur in Haryana, attaching a picture of the bend where this happened.

Name:  Screenshot 20220615 at 10.02.16 PM.png
Views: 909
Size:  129.8 KB

To give some detail or background, the car was doing around 60-80 kmph and there was no sign board of the bend. It was definitely little bit of my dad's fault and the car cornered at a relatively higher speed. As the highway was above the fields and everything happened in a fraction of seconds - here is what the passerbys had to tell (also, what we felt):

1. Rear left tire got off the highway and it burst.
2. Front left of the car got off the highway and the front right hit the electricity pole.
3. Electricity pole fell on the car's roof on driver's side.
4. Pole then fell on the ground.
5. Car rolled over and danced on it's front-end and settled on it's 4 wheels in the opposite direction.

Funny part: No one had to 'unlock' the rear doors, the door locks broke and the handles weren't operable.

All windows broke and boot popped open. We had magnetic blinds on the rear windows (as sold with VAG cars these days) which didn't let the glass enter.

Everyone walked out with minor bruises, just glass on my dad's head and hands or inside t-shirts. The electric pole didn't really electrocute anything or anyone. Almost everyones mobiles phones were found lying in the field. My uncle who was sitting on the co-driver's sear found his specs in the last row of the car. I saw my specs under the rear right tire.

A passerby rushed us to a hospital and police station. They helped us get home, and later my cousin went back and got the car towed to Galaxy Toyota, Okhla. The place was round 100 kms and the passerbys and villagers helped us a lot. Galaxy Toyota people sent the car to their Kundli workshop after 10 days for assessment where it was declared as 'Totalled' after a telephonic conversation. Chassis and engine were fine, the entire body had to get changed and the pictures will explain better. Yes, the repair estimate? it was 21.5 lakhs.

Car was sold in an auction for 17 lakhs, and insurance gave us 9.xx lakhs to match the ex-showroom price of 26.xx lakhs.

Oh boy, what a roller coaster ride it was! My dad went there to Toyota Okhla to give his Innova for an annual service and the workshop guy was shocked to know the whole story and that nothing happened to anyone.

Attaching car's picture at the workshop and field. Also, the repair estimate. (Sorry for the low-quality pictures, these are screenshots)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2240.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-9.55.35-pm.png
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-9.55.48-pm.png
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-9.56.02-pm.png
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-9.56.19-pm.png
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-9.56.31-pm.png
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-9.56.41-pm.png

Job card / repair estimate:
Name:  Screenshot 20220615 at 10.27.51 PM.png
Views: 867
Size:  66.3 KB
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-10.28.46-pm.png
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-10.29.05-pm.png
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-10.29.15-pm.png
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-10.29.33-pm.png
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220615-10.29.41-pm.png
adigup is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 22:50   #35400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just to note the KIA guy was driving extremely rashly and overtook me at around 45+ on this narrow flyover too

https://Youtu.be/90X8ZOD4tQI
The fault of of both the Kia driver and the scooterist. Though it is common for 2-wheelers to squeeze into such gaps, the Kia guy seemed ignorant of his presence. This apart, he overtook you on that narrow flyover. I know that there is just enough space for 2 car-widths on that flyover (and also the old airport flyover), so i always ensure that the car behind me does not try to squeeze into the gap, unless it is in bumper-to-bumper traffic. In free traffic like in the video, i drive a bit to the center and only leave a gap for 2-wheelers.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed