Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2022, 09:49   #35506
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It doesn't seem advisable that when one is in a sudden brake situation, one should allow the demand for locating the hazard switch and turning it on vie for one's attention.
Certainly not! But what you’re explaining here is a panic brake situation and in this scenario, yes there should be nothing else more important than getting the car to stop. Which is why in a lot of new cars, the hazards turn on automatically under hard braking (at least it does on my XUV300, I hope it’s a standard feature. If not, manufacturers let’s please have that before getting a larger screen).

I guess what OP and others are saying is the usage of hazards when you have spotted an obstacle at front and have to slow down considerably (and inexplicably for the traffic behind). For example, a cow standing in the road which is a common occurrence across India. The traffic from behind may not be able to spot it and the brake lamps going off on the car in front in itself may not indicate that there is an obstacle and the car is going to slow down to a near halt.

Needless to say, all of this is more applicable to highway driving than city driving.

At highway speeds, it’s difficult to understand the speed delta. Therefore, while someone may have been holding a good gap (3-5sec), it’s very difficult to understand promptly from the brake lamps, whether the car in front is dropping their speed by 80% versus just slowing down by 10% for an undulation on the road. Yes, the traffic from behind should invariably slow down but knowing that there is an obstacle at front is going to better prepare the traffic from behind.

Usage of hazards in such situations is part of being a responsible driver in my opinion.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 6th July 2022 at 09:56. Reason: some words, details
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 11:58   #35507
BHPian

Quote:
In any case what is the guarantee that the tailgater will notice one's hazards, when they aren't watching one's brake lamps?
There's no guarantee, but the flickering lights are one's best chance to get attention.
Old 7th July 2022, 17:22   #35508
BHPian

Another wrong side rider, another death.

I don't blame the Innova here. As first, rider was on wrong side and then he suddenly accelerated and came in front of the Innova, leaving no space for the Innova to move away from him.

Graphic video warning.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 17:50   #35509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Biker came very casually as if its a routine for him.

I felt the Innova is little fast at the intersection, as he's not doing a proper turn and veering towards right ( edge of the circle ). Innova almost cut 3 lanes and going across the road.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 18:15   #35510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
I felt the Innova is little fast at the intersection, as he's not doing a proper turn and veering towards right ( edge of the circle ). Innova almost cut 3 lanes and going across the road.
Don't think so. Yes, he is likely a little hot on the entry but we should not look at relative speed and say if someone was overspeeding or not. It'll be purely speculative. In fact, that word "overspeeding" is abused SO much (I'm referring to the subtitles on the video).

I guess the Innova went wide because he spotted the bike and tried to dodge him last moment.

Let's call a spade a spade. This was 100% the bikers fault.
krishnakumar is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 18:17   #35511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought that (the veering towards right) was the outcome of the reflexive reaction of the Innova driver when the biker unexpectedly came in front of him.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 18:27   #35512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't blame the Innova here. As first, rider was on wrong side and then he suddenly accelerated and came in front of the Innova, leaving no space for the Innova to move away from him.
Why is anyone blaming the Innova driver here, that idiot biker has no right be on the wrong side of the road.
If that idiot didn't take the wrong way, he would be alive.
speedmiester is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 18:36   #35513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Quote:
reflexive reaction of the Innova driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Ya. I could be wrong, Thanks for spotting.

100% biker fault.

Moving towards right could be Innova's reflex as mentioned above.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 7th July 2022 at 18:47.
Old 7th July 2022, 18:41   #35514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
100% biker' fault. The Innova driver was accelerating on a turn after a signal towards an empty road. That bike was on the middle lane, moving right into the center of the road to avoid the incoming traffic. No way the Innova driver would be able to comprehend in that split second as both turned right to avoid each other
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 19:07   #35515
BHPian

Quote:
m
He might have been alive in spite of the wrong way driving if he was wearing a helmet at least. This hit looks survivable at least from the video.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 20:21   #35516
BHPian

Quote:
Don't think so. Yes, he is likely a little hot on the entry but we should not look at relative speed and say if someone was overspeeding or not. It'll be purely speculative. In fact, that word "overspeeding" is abused SO much (I'm referring to the subtitles on the video).
I agree. To say anything more against the Innova, we need to see footage from another angle too. From what we have, I don't think Innova is at fault.

What makes me feel worse is the nonchalant manner in which the biker is driving the wrong way *in the middle of the road*. The general tendency, in Delhi-NCR at least, is that when going wrong way, you stick to the edges of the road. Being in the absolute middle is incredibly stupid on so many levels.

So stupidity one, going wrong way. Stupidity two, which compounds everything, not even doing that properly. When considering the lack of a helmet, it's just suicidal tendency at this point.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 7th July 2022 at 20:24.
N.A.GTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 23:10   #35517
BHPian

While getting back home today enroute Kundalahalli Main Road, Bangalore ( ITPL Main Road), AECS Layout junction, at about 4.30pm witnessed an accident or rather a culpable homicide which had taken place about five minutes before I reached the said spot. An Audi Q5 had rammed into an auto rickshaw, Apache motorcycle, a goods rickshaw and an hatchback one after the other sequentially. I was informed by the bystanders that the traffic police personnel have immediately apprehended the Audi driver and that couple of victims who were seriously injured were shifted to hospital by some Samaritans along with police personnel and the Apache rider with his broken leg was made to sit roadside and was subsequently taken to hospital by the other police personnel.
Its the version of the nearby shopkeepers and other eye witnesses that the car took a left turn at very high speed and lost control,which has led to this mishap. It prima-facie appears to be the sheer rashness and negligence or hooliganism of the Audi driver which has led to suffering of many. That particular junction like any other layout roads of Bangalore is safe only if driven on slow or moderate speeds as it is a busy commuter point with slow moving traffic. One delinquent driver cost many innocents their lives and limbs. Some photos from the scene are attached below :-
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-601a55a8fd1b4335a0046057fc765034.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dda214b649ab45a8b4fd5e1d1a1cc1d9.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-eb10e1fc66d64fc891c20fcd85cb3550.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-599ae5ddc4da4bf495f8605e3b4b0756.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ca942e8b76894511b2f90f4d00fffdc3.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-9d9dcc35b8554bdcb9f53ea0bf0104b8.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-73452c145c3046dd90468828947e581f.jpeg  

Last edited by Gypsian : 7th July 2022 at 23:23. Reason: To add information.
Gypsian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 23:26   #35518
BHPian

Quote:
Biker came very casually as if its a routine for him.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
100% biker' fault.
Did you guys notice one more bigger idiot (or is there any such term?)?

After the accident with a body on the road, when the other side signal opens, we see another helmetless guy on an activa jumping the divider just to save 3 seconds may be and risking his life so casually. I mean if there is another car jumping the signal from other side or if his activa slips while jumping the divider, he could simply fall under the tanker next to him
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 00:07   #35519
BHPian

A Force traveller sandwiched between two trucks.

I am not sure whose fault was in this accident, but I guess the last truck can be blamed.

The first Truck might be slowing down for the signal ahead, And that area has sufficient light to drive at city speed at night.

From dashcam:

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th July 2022 at 08:48. Reason: As requested.
KumarS is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 07:12   #35520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
But he at least had the presence of mind to stop immediately.
Its not often you see this. I was surprised by his reaction too. He stopped the bus immediately. Jumped out of his seat, approached the injured rider and took him to the side. Most drivers would flee the scene for an accident like this. I don't blame them. Even for cases where they are not at fault, the blame is squarely on them.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks