Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2022, 07:59   #35521
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Its not often you see this. I was surprised by his reaction too. He stopped the bus immediately. Jumped out of his seat, approached the injured rider and took him to the side.
This incident happened in Kerala. Notwithstanding all its faults, abandoning a fellow human being in trouble is rarely practiced in the state.
binand is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 10:56   #35522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
we see another helmetless guy on an activa jumping the divider just to save 3 seconds
Jumping divider and going is a bad habit and I don't know, why many bikers do.

Looks like they studied Pythagoras Theorem very well in school days and implementing it now and trying to save some distance traveled and fuel. Sum of any two sides is longer than the third side.

Name:  pyth.png
Views: 762
Size:  9.7 KB

Few Days ago, I was going straight from left to right as shown in above image. When I am about to reach the intersection point, a tempo truck is coming across from the left and suddenly jumped divider and moved to other lane ( light blue arrow ) and took a turn infront of me.

What if I had to take a left turn there instead of going straight? We both will come face to face then.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 11:15   #35523
BHPian

Came across this dashcam footage of an accident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220708_11h13_01.jpg

As per comments in FB, it seems to be a previous generation Endeavor. This is the way most, if not all, of the the buses are driven in north KL. You are expected to go off the road to make way for them.

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2022 at 09:04. Reason: One video is enough :). Thanks for sharing!
GeneralJazz is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 11:40   #35524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Came across this dashcam footage of an accident.]

As per comments in FB, it seems to be a previous generation Endeavor. This is the way most, if not all, of the the buses are driven in north KL. You are expected to go off the road to make way for them.
The bus driver forgot the road is wet and expect the bus to behave the same way it does on dry roads.
On a dry road, he would have just given enough space for the opposite side vehicle and like you mentioned, expected them to go off the road.
Here, his front wheels are locked to left fully and there is no steering as he braked. With the old buses being replaced with new ones with ABS, accidents should reduce.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 12:41   #35525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

This reminds me of my incident which happened 5 years ago. The situation was more or less similar, the roads were wet, but the only thing which saved us was our speed was less and we both could stop in time.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 8th July 2022 at 12:42.
DragonHawk is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 18:04   #35526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
This reminds me of my incident which happened 5 years ago. The situation was more or less similar, the roads were wet, but the only thing which saved us was our speed was less and we both could stop in time.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=CgJPsu-8SMk
The idiot was overtaking another bus on a curve! Did you let him go scot free or did you complain and pursue until he got punished? Unless there are repercussions these drivers won't mend their ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
A Force traveller sandwiched between two trucks.

I am not sure whose fault was in this accident, but I guess the last truck can be blamed.

The first Truck might be slowing down for the signal ahead, And that area has sufficient light to drive at city speed at night.
Thankfully it was a Tempo Traveller and not a sedan/SUV. Looking at the front part of the Traveller if it was a sedan, the second truck would have pushed it under the first one with possibly a fatal underride accident. India is getting these large trailers but the truck owners won't spend money on maintaining the equipment properly/training the drivers. The drivers are poor and also desensitized to fatal accidents-they just don't care.

The only option seems to be to keep so much following distance from the trailer ahead that it is not only enough for you but also for the following truck to brake !

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 8th July 2022 at 18:13.
StopUnderrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 19:55   #35527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
... The only option seems to be to keep so much following distance from the trailer ahead that it is not only enough for you but also for the following truck to brake !
Well, yes: we should!

That's what safe distance is about: being able to stop when that unexpected happens. Always.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 23:14   #35528
BHPian

Night drive at 3 am with Friends. 120 km/h speed on city roads. Proved deadly for one of them.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 10:40   #35529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Usage of hazards in such situations is part of being a responsible driver
Some of the arguments put forth for using hazards in various situations might be very valid, and any kind of signalling would immensely help other drivers. But applying one's own logic and turning the hazard lights on might not be the solution.

When people use their own reasons to turn the hazard lights on, it is difficult to identify what they are trying to convey:
  • Going straight at an intersection?
  • Pulling over?
  • Is it the remote locking system that triggered the hazards when a door was opened?
  • Is it because of fog / rains?
  • Is it to signal some danger on the roads?
  • Is it triggered automatically by panic-braking?
  • Is the vehicle stranded?
It would be better if everyone were to stick to the standard and defined purpose of hazard lights: to signify that the vehicle is stranded.
adisan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 11:46   #35530
BHPian

Quote:

I get so upset when this happens as I fail to understand how some people can take such a risk and especially, when driving such a large vehicle. Do they not know that they can kill the other driver by such a manoeuver?
While I would just drive on when something like this happens, what is the best way of dealing with a situation like this? Fight/ educate or flight?
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 12:29   #35531
BHPian

Quote:
The goal of these buses is to reach the destination as soon as possible even if it means overtaking on a blind corner. They generally get away as the traffic is sparse at this point in time.

The other to notice is that these buses have in total of 6 - 10 headlight bulbs. While it might illuminate the road for the driver, it completely blinds the driver facing it. I once had to face the slaught when I had to travel due to an emergency.

Name:  sri_durgamba.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  88.6 KB
Meph1st0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 14:13   #35532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The headlights of oncoming vehicles let you know it's approach.
Neither you nor the oncoming vehicles both overtaker and one allowing overtake have flicked beams on blind curve.
Overtaking idiot is the biggest idiot, but you as well as bus being overtaken are ill informed or just being dangerously lazy.

Rahul
Old 10th July 2022, 15:13   #35533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
... It would be better if everyone were to stick to the standard and defined purpose of hazard lights: to signify that the vehicle is stranded.
This is what the 2019 British Highway Code says:
Quote:
116. Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is
stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never
use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST
NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless
you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you
need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead.
Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has
been observed.
It is more restrictive than I thought, but it certainly allows for motorway/highway use in sudden bad weather.

Note that, although the Highway Code is the 'bible' of British driving, there are instances (such as use of headlight flashing) where every-day driving differs completely from "the book." I'd say that use of hazard lights to warn of a hazard, not just on highways, is one of them.

Of course, there are idiot British drivers too, and "I'm blocking the road but I will only be one minute in the shop" is not uncommon, but still wrong, wrong wrong!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 16:54   #35534
BHPian

When someone is turning faster than his Guardian angels.

The second accident is all about Rumble strips

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 10th July 2022 at 16:58.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:36   #35535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
When someone is turning faster than his Guardian angels.
I'm happy to say that I've never even come close, but I think that people hugely overestimate how hard it is to flip a car. This guy shows us: it's all too easy!
Quote:
The second accident is all about Rumble strips
I think it is not about rumble strips. There's a barrier there, and the truck driver may not have seen it until late, so swerves, showing how easy it is to flip a truck! I wonder where the centre of gravity of that tall load is!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks