Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 10:34   #3556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Oh no! no!! no!!! The most ghastly sight I'v seen on this thread. Just great to make my day! RIP poor elephant... :((
I agree. It pains me to see animals (even the mangy old street dogs) get killed. Most unfortunate but the train must have been pretty fast for the elephant to not manage to get out of the way.
Old 21st September 2009, 14:49   #3557
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Did they catch the car who hit them ?
I'm surprised that the car that did this managed to get away. Isn't that road always patrolled by the cops?
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:35   #3558
Senior - BHPian

I think its an esteem for sure.

@Sidindica - Please confirm which car it is.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:20   #3559
Senior - BHPian

That car was a verna.
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:52   #3560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
That car was a verna.
Sid,
Did it topple over? Dont tell me am right. Have already seen a lot of toppled Vernas on this thread. I think that Verna's poor handling has been overhyped by people and i myself had almost bought it.

Have any idea what happened?
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:20   #3561
Senior - BHPian

1) A few pictures I took during my return journey today. I saw the car here while I was going to destination in the morning too, but mom did not allow me to take images. Note that overall, I had seen a total of four accidnets today. Not seen, but seen the remains of vehicles that were involved in crash.

2) I dont know how this corsa managed to crash. This is high speed impact for sure. The roads here are quite wide, smooth. this crash is due to driver error for sure. All tyres were in good condition visibily i.e. none of the tyres were punctured or bald. The entire firewall came inside the passenger cabin. The driver would be lucky to have escaped. The right rear passenger would also have been lucky to survive. Rest images tell the story.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image002.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image003.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image004.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image005.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image007.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image008.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image006a.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2009, 20:12   #3562
BHPian

looks like overtaking gone bad

Dead Man Overtaking

What is it?

First, the guy will perform Pooja on car purchase. This leads him to believe that he is now invincible.

Then, he goes on to the highway, performs blind overtaking maneuvers. Even though, another vehicle is coming head on too close, he thinks he is special, and expects the on-coming vehicle to slow down for him. (why overtake when vehicles are approaching too close, too fast?) He also assumes that he is driving an AWD wrx, all as a result of "Pooja" he performed and supernatural powers he has now acquired from HIS Gods.

Long Live Dead Man Overtaker
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:39   #3563
Senior - BHPian

Well to echo that most of us live by the philosophy " It cannot happen to me" unless it happens, some live to tell the tale and some don't.

Not sure if this guy lived to tell the tale , although it looks like that the driver must have survived with serious head injuries if he was wearing a seat belt.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:52   #3564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Dead Man Overtaking

What is it?

First, the guy will perform Pooja on car purchase. This leads him to believe that he is now invincible.

Then, he goes on to the highway, performs blind overtaking maneuvers. Even though, another vehicle is coming head on too close, he thinks he is special, and expects the on-coming vehicle to slow down for him. (why overtake when vehicles are approaching too close, too fast?) He also assumes that he is driving an AWD wrx, all as a result of "Pooja" he performed and supernatural powers he has now acquired from HIS Gods.

Long Live Dead Man Overtaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Well to echo that most of us live by the philosophy " It cannot happen to me" unless it happens, some live to tell the tale and some don't.

Not sure if this guy lived to tell the tale , although it looks like that the driver must have survived with serious head injuries if he was wearing a seat belt.
@aerohit: Good words. This particular route that I take is very good after Tarapur. At most of the places from Tarapur to Dhandhuka one can do more than 140, the roads are of expresshighway quality, even better because now the NE-1 surface is not very good as it used to be. Excellent roads, wide, and the government has tried to provide roads as wide as possible. Here the mistake is that people overspeed, simply overspeed. Santro going at 140 is not something we can call safe.
Now the biggest hazard. For almost the entire stretch, there are farms on either side of the road. And to the farms, people have built their own approach paths on the highway. There are bushes to hide the earthed approach and suddenly out of nowhere err, out of bushes a tractor, truck or bike can come on to the road. This is where people make mistake. Rather than being cautious, people overspeed. At any cost, more than 100 is disaster. My mom strictly instructed me to drive at 60 while coming back ( I had gone to drop her to native place for Navratri and also my maternal grandmother is not keeping good health since long ). I did obey the rule for most part of journey. 210 mins approx for 180 km journey with fantastic roads in Baleno. I am not God, but when I am alone, and not on expresshighway, I follow what my parents tell me. Atleast I attempt to do so.

@harishnayak :
If you look at images carefully you can see that the steering wheel has come in too much + there is roof caving in also. The roof has taken massive hit just above driver's space and steering wheel has come in a lot. There are very little chances of survival. The left A-pillar also shows damage. Its very massive hit.

We hope that driver survives, but if you had seen the car personally, you would come to know that his survival would be a miracle. I have taken these shots at around 3 pm in afternoon on State higway with mobile camera ( 3110c phone ) so may be quality of images is not that good.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 22nd September 2009 at 22:54.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:03   #3565
Distinguished - BHPian

Could this driver have fallen asleep?
Old 23rd September 2009, 01:30   #3566
Senior - BHPian

@harishnayak :
If you look at images carefully you can see that the steering wheel has come in too much + there is roof caving in also. The roof has taken massive hit just above driver's space and steering wheel has come in a lot. There are very little chances of survival. The left A-pillar also shows damage. Its very massive hit.

We hope that driver survives, but if you had seen the car personally, you would come to know that his survival would be a miracle. I have taken these shots at around 3 pm in afternoon on State higway with mobile camera ( 3110c phone ) so may be quality of images is not that good.[/quote]

My assumption was only based on the fact that i've seen many people walking out of even worst accidents , also there are no blood stains on the seats indicating any such thing. I might be wrong though.
Old 23rd September 2009, 08:43   #3567
Senior - BHPian

Has it rolled? Or is it a regular head on crash?
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:38   #3568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
+1. Whenever I attempt to squeeze in between two slow moving trucks or to make a close overtaking maneuver on an single road, I withdraw reminding myself on these crumbled vehicles.
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:16   #3569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Rather than being cautious, people overspeed. At any cost, more than 100 is disaster.

I am not God, but when I am alone, and not on expresshighway, I follow what my parents tell me. Atleast I attempt to do so.
Fully agree with you - and most people overestimate their driving skills and reflexes. To me driving is a daily experience - an art which can neither be mastered nor acquired!

I too used to show off my prowess on the Mumbai-Pune expressway - used to maintain speeds in excess of 140 and boast that I did the 95 kms stretch in 70 minutes - till I saw a accident take place in front of me (a Lancer burst its tyre and flipped over thrice - luckily nobody was hurt - all the four occupants walked out!).

After this experience, stumbled on this webpage -
Pune Police - Traffic Branch -
and am a different driver - for good. Don't know if data is updated now - the incident took place about two years ago.
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:59   #3570
BHPian

Accident in AP

Hi Team,

just read in the news paper that there was an accident near Kurnool(AP) , 12 youths died on spot when they were returning from a trip. all below 19 yrs

which was hitted by Scorpio, the pictures were so horrible so just posted the links..

the source is from Eenadu.

e e n a d u . n e t - h e a r t * & * s o u l * o f * a n d h r a

the source is from Times of India Article Window
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-getimage.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks